Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   Burned out my CP D/A sander...whats next? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/burned-out-my-cp-d-sander-whats-next-223179.html)

Mach1460 08-21-2012 06:33 PM

Burned out my CP D/A sander...whats next?

I burned out my Central Pnumatic 6" D/A sander the other day. I completly stripped my 92 bronco top to bottom with it over the last few weeks and I did one small quarter panel job with it last year. I still have the doors of the bronco left to do, So ill need to pick up a new DA. The CP i had was relatively cheap, i think it was around20-30 bucks from a harbor freight store and I didnt expect it to last forever, I oiled it every time I would use it for long periods of time I think it just had enough. Anyway im looking online for a new one and this came up

I have heard great things about this brand, The CP I had was a absolute air hog. Hopefully this one if I buy it will do better. Is this a reccomended model for paint stripping?? Its just the "palm style" DAs that are for finish sanding right?? Thanks

Mach1460 08-21-2012 06:45 PM

here is an Ingersol Rand for a bit cheaper with the vacuum option, I dont do body work for a living, just here and there like one project a year. So I probobly dont need to buy a expensive one but I rather would than buy a new cheapo every job i do...

matt167 08-21-2012 07:09 PM

I have an IR. It's an air hog but works great

Mach1460 08-21-2012 07:12 PM

Im leaning that way, im thinking since I only have 2 doors left to strip... maybe I should just get a palm type/ finish sander and use it to strip the panels with a heavier grit then I can use it to color sand my clear when I get to that point... Or is stripping not an option with the finish style d/a's?

swvalcon 08-21-2012 07:20 PM

Just spend the money and buy a national detriot DA. They last for ever.

tech69 08-21-2012 09:49 PM

I got the Dynabrade but with an orange handle(3/8" orbit). I bought it cause I liked the aggressiveness of DA sanders with handles (3/8" orbit) and I only found 2-3 quality palm sanders with that orbit and so I went with Dynabrade. I love it. It's super aggressive and kind of jumpy but like it. If I want smooth I will go for my 3/32" Airvantage. If I get a 3/16" orbit DA I will probably go Dynabrade or Airvantage but most likely Airvantage. They are very underrated sanders.

deadbodyman 08-25-2012 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach1460 (Post 1584869)
Amazon.com: Ingersoll-Rand 4151 Ultra Duty 6-Inch Vacuum Ready Random Orbit Pnuematic Sander: Home Improvement

here is an Ingersol Rand for a bit cheaper with the vacuum option, I dont do body work for a living, just here and there like one project a year. So I probobly dont need to buy a expensive one but I rather would than buy a new cheapo every job i do...

Actually this IR is a VERY good sander,I've had mine for five years or so and its still going strong and much lighter than my hutchins it uses less air too ,many times while sanding a car my compressor will turn off...I love my little IR ,I would deffinetly recomend this one for finish work and get another cheapo for stripping..

white72gs455 09-17-2012 12:02 PM

Dynabrade

I ent the Dynabrade web site, there are so many to choose from...
I dont know where to start looking!

http://www.dynabrade.com/dyn10/index.php

Old Fool 09-25-2012 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by white72gs455 (Post 1591445)
I ent the Dynabrade web site, there are so many to choose from...
I dont know where to start looking!

http://www.dynabrade.com/dyn10/index.php

Start by looking in your wallet, then order as many different ones as you can afford :D

I would suggest the 69010 for the heavier stripping, the 69025 for all around, the 69040 for fine work. Toss in a 10763 Mud Hog for good measurel

Just one? 69025.

Kevin45 10-09-2012 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach1460 (Post 1584882)
Im leaning that way, im thinking since I only have 2 doors left to strip... maybe I should just get a palm type/ finish sander and use it to strip the panels with a heavier grit then I can use it to color sand my clear when I get to that point... Or is stripping not an option with the finish style d/a's?

You really don't want to color sand with a DA. If you get a buildup of the clear on the paper, it will mark the chit out of the clear.

69 widetrack 10-09-2012 11:20 AM

You might want to try looking at 3M's line up. I use several of their orbitals and am very happy with them. Funny thing they look an awful lot like dynabraid but priced much better. Just a thought/

302 Z28 10-09-2012 08:50 PM

Buy another Central Pneumatic sander they are throw a ways. By the way please do not refer to the Central Pneumatic DA sander as CP. CP is Chicago Pneumatic and in no way compares to a Chinese Central Pneumatic sander.

Vince