Burnin a ton of oil - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2002, 03:19 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Burnin a ton of oil

Not really a question, hope it's ok to post here. My 455 was going through a qt of oil every 200 miles. I was convinced there was a ring or head problem, maybe both. Turned out that the cyllinders were out of round! I never heard of that, but the shop that honed it 30 over said it could happen if the motor was run hard when brand new. Didn't know if any has heard of that - but thought I'd throw it out there in case someone is having the same problem and already went through the heads and rings.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2002, 05:21 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Can of worms subject as I call it,, ha! a cylinder is never perfectly round, unless it`s honed with torque plates and used to do so with the identical bolts or studs and gaskets that the engine will run. then at operating tempature, it will still not be perfectly round. to get something metal perfectly round at all tempatures, it would have to have a equal amount of thickness all the way around the cylinder, and I don`t think there is such a block that the factory produced that was like this. So I came up with the idea "why not hone it with deck plates while the engine was heated to operating tempature?" I talked to my machinist about it, he said he had only seen it done once and asked me how I came up with the idea, all I said was it made sense to me somewhat. if it`s not severe, the rings expansion characteristics make up for out of roundness to some extent but with a little more leakdown rate than normal. Honeing a block with torque plates is about as close as you`ll get to a square bore. keep in mind as long as this is done on a sunnen hone master or similiar machine.

[ December 14, 2002: Message edited by: DoubleVision ]</p>
Old 12-14-2002, 05:47 PM

Yah, that's the machine the shop uses. He made mention we the hone hit the cylinders he could see it bind then free. Just seemed like that was pretty severe. Maybe bind and free spin aren't the best choice of words, but you get my point.
Old 12-14-2002, 08:18 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Sorry DoubleVision, People have been "Hot Honing with torque plates for about 15 years or longer even, I 'm surprised your machinist doesn't know somone who will do the work. Althought not really applicable for budget engines, this process is better saved for $15000 engines in the 12 to 15 HP range
Old 12-14-2002, 08:50 PM

Last journal entry: Doors
Last photo:

I wish to get 200 miles per QT i get around 30 minutes per qt
with my car only on one side, the smoke is amazing
its in a 1+1/2 car qwansinhut that is very well vented and u cant see a 8 foot infront of you when this is on. I think its a bad oil scraper ring, the fan sucks in the smoke and now there is a glaze of oil resido over my windsheild and everything, im dead serous there is no exaduration unfortunatly

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.