Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Burning oil?
Thread: Burning oil?
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2013, 09:24 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Burning oil?

OK, so as it says, I'm burning oil, at idle its fine, no smoke or anything, same as start up, all good there. But under accel its smoking, blue smoke, def oil. It runs fine. But I'm concerend. Checked pcv, it is baffled and on the rear pass cover.
I lent my leakdown tester to a buddy who is away for a few weeks so I don't have access to one currently. I spoke to the previous owner and he swears it wasn't using oil at all. But he never really drove it. It had a sealed valve cover on the drivers side until i bought it and put a breather in. The motor is fresh, less the 1000 miles on it. Could it have been hurt running without the breather? It was assemnled 2 years ago then sat parked for the most part. Could that effect anything? Do vortec heads have the same difficulty sealing intake gaskets internally? What things can I look for to try and diagnose for now?
The motor is
383, eagle rotating, KB pistons
Vortec heads with some bowl work and clean up
Performer RPM cam 234/244 @.050
488/510
Air gap intake (summit version)
Summit 750VC Carb
Long tubes
HEI
Oh and I just installed a timing double roller chain and removed a noisy gear drive. It went on fine, but i can actually hear the chain when its running. It has an billet cover and have been told they make everything sound louder?
Could I have possibly screwed anything up there that could cause the oil burning issue?