Is burning your hands like this common or am I just the dumbest? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 12:25 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Yeah but some of us start dancing the " Dumb" early. I rebuilt my first engine when I was nine. A Lauson lawn mower engine. My father took the valves to work and ground them for me. I hand lapped the seats. I had compleatly torn it apart and reassembled it using my own tools I bought at Pep Boys ( I still have some of them) using money I made mowing lawns. Sounds pretty self dependant huh? I got it running and the carb set just right. Pretty proud of myself. After running it for a hile I shut it off and promply picked it up by the piece of water pipe I used in place of a muffler. Yes dumb can start early for us. That was the first time I blistered my entire palm but not the last. And no, nine is not to old to cry.

BB

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 03:18 PM

Last photo:

The hotter the better

Gloves , I don't need no stinking Gloves!!
Old 12-17-2012, 06:28 PM

Last photo:

I don't want to think about all the times I have hurt myself doing something dumb... hot metal - yep. sharp knives - yep. power tools - yep. nail gun - yep. The list goes on...
Old 12-17-2012, 07:43 PM
Steel Dreams

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killeratrod View Post
Gloves , I don't need no stinking Gloves!!
Ahh yes just when you think gloves will protect you.......Was welding on a 20' multi deck mower in very cramped space, finished my weld and pulled back to get out before I was in a good position to brace myself hit the trigger on the mig and shot that red hot little ball on metal on the end of the wire tru the glove tru the skin of my index finger right to the bone ! three weeks before I could use my finger ....But the dumbest thing I will admit to......Years ago I built racing go kart motors, had one on the test stand, had reworked the carb , new head gasket etc. Was running it up to some very high RPMS saw some white smoke coming out of the breather and thought WTH .....was reaching for the kill switch when the rod went out the back of the block ( actually many small pieces ) oil going every where.....I thought Crap !!! ( not what I actually thought or said ) now I'm going to have to build another motor before tomorrow nights races when I looked down and laying on the floor was a good sized piece of the rod cap and not thinking I reached down and picked the dam thing up !!!!It instantly burned the impression of the cap mounting side complete with bolt hole in to my thumb and burned two ribs into my index finger....I went to the sink and started running cold water on my fingers which did not do a dam bit of good.......I thought I must have had DUMB ASSE written on my fore head!!!!!

Kenny
Old 12-17-2012, 08:24 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby1 View Post
Ahh yes just when you think gloves will protect you.......Was welding on a 20' multi deck mower in very cramped space, finished my weld and pulled back to get out before I was in a good position to brace myself hit the trigger on the mig and shot that red hot little ball on metal on the end of the wire tru the glove tru the skin of my index finger right to the bone ! three weeks before I could use my finger ....But the dumbest thing I will admit to......Years ago I built racing go kart motors, had one on the test stand, had reworked the carb , new head gasket etc. Was running it up to some very high RPMS saw some white smoke coming out of the breather and thought WTH .....was reaching for the kill switch when the rod went out the back of the block ( actually many small pieces ) oil going every where.....I thought Crap !!! ( not what I actually thought or said ) now I'm going to have to build another motor before tomorrow nights races when I looked down and laying on the floor was a good sized piece of the rod cap and not thinking I reached down and picked the dam thing up !!!!It instantly burned the impression of the cap mounting side complete with bolt hole in to my thumb and burned two ribs into my index finger....I went to the sink and started running cold water on my fingers which did not do a dam bit of good.......I thought I must have had DUMB ASSE written on my fore head!!!!!

Kenny
Look at the bright side Kenny. You will always be proud of how fast you can look at a rod cap. A lesser man might have spent 5 minutes looking at that cap.

John L
Old 12-17-2012, 08:51 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

the one I hate is when you're wearing regular sneaker and weld molt burns into your shoe and you can't do anything about it
Old 12-17-2012, 10:02 PM
Steel Dreams

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Look at the bright side Kenny. You will always be proud of how fast you can look at a rod cap. A lesser man might have spent 5 minutes looking at that cap.

John L
You know John that is down right eerie.......That is almost word for word what my son said when he found out what I did and to this day friends in the karting community still call me " Ole Hot Fingers " .....I guess that I will never live it down....
Kenny
Old 12-17-2012, 10:58 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I can relate. Even though I don't do much welding, I have a bottle of pure aloe from the pharmacy that I keep in the shop. Nothing better for a burn.

One dumb move I repeated a few times back in the day was to overfill my Zippo and put it back into my pocket.

On the same theme, I was also known to put rags with gas on them from cleaning parts, etc. back into my hip pocket. Problem w/both of these smooth moves is by the time you feel the first tingle of the burn to come, it's too darned late to do anything- the damage is done, it just takes a few more minutes before the burn well and truly sets in. Only time will help then.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:37 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

steped on It

I have a big hole in the tread of my high top , steel toe red-wing boots, those boots were supposed to last at least 5 years, It was cold outside and I was wearing heavy thermal hunting socks. I finally smelled the rubber burning.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:36 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
I can relate. Even though I don't do much welding, I have a bottle of pure aloe from the pharmacy that I keep in the shop. Nothing better for a burn.

One dumb move I repeated a few times back in the day was to overfill my Zippo and put it back into my pocket.
Ahhh The love affair a 16 year old has with his zippo.....The hours practicing your quick "draw and strike". The never ending strive to be cool..... Now that brings back some memories and yes, lighter fluid does burn like you know what.

John L
Old 12-18-2012, 11:31 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,273 Times in 1,114 Posts
Years ago I was working at a shop where the owners son use to clean the place. One day he sat on a 5 gallon can of wax and grease remover to rest. One problem, when you sloshed the wax and grease remover out it left a little puddle of it on the top of the can. He soaked his pants and underwear in wax and grease remover! OMG he was RUNNING around that shop with the broom rubbing his butt the whole way. He put on some coveralls leaving himself naked inside. He ended up leaving early and driving home (a long drive) to lay in a bath of cold water. I ran into him many years later and he was the manager of a bodyshop I use to have plastic media blasting done. I brought it up and he said he only did THAT once that's for sure!

Brian
Old 12-18-2012, 12:39 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

I worked with a guy who got his pony tail stuck in a fan. OUCH! He was stuck for a couple minutes til someone cut his hair. He had scalp surgery but still has his pony tail. He's also a bass guitarist in pretty solid band.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:58 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Years ago I was working at a shop where the owners son use to clean the place. One day he sat on a 5 gallon can of wax and grease remover to rest. One problem, when you sloshed the wax and grease remover out it left a little puddle of it on the top of the can. He soaked his pants and underwear in wax and grease remover! OMG he was RUNNING around that shop with the broom rubbing his butt the whole way. He put on some coveralls leaving himself naked inside. He ended up leaving early and driving home (a long drive) to lay in a bath of cold water. I ran into him many years later and he was the manager of a bodyshop I use to have plastic media blasting done. I brought it up and he said he only did THAT once that's for sure!

Brian
Good thing he didn't play with his zippo

Did any of you all ever sit on a new tire that was not mounted leaning against the wall? I did.......one time.

John L
Old 12-18-2012, 04:58 PM

Last photo:

Naaaa just several senior moments... in a row...
Old 12-18-2012, 07:08 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

tig and gas rod burns

I put a couple kinks in the cold end of my tig and oxy-acety rod so I won't pick up the hot end again , and if you drop it on the floor it is easier to pick up with gloves on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.