Is burning your hands like this common or am I just the dumbest? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 11:48 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,322 Times in 1,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale View Post
I put a couple kinks in the cold end of my tig and oxy-acety rod so I won't pick up the hot end again , and if you drop it on the floor it is easier to pick up with gloves on.
Brilliant, I will be following your lead from now on.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 04:54 AM

Last photo:

Never solder two wires together while sitting on your door sill while holding the wires together above your legs, oh yeah, while wearing shorts! I was in Arizona, and it was hot!. So was the little solder divot, as I watched it slowly ball up and drop down on my leg. Burned a nice little hole in the skin. Hell, I could go on, but I've got to get ready for work...Later!
Old 12-19-2012, 07:23 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,604 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Brilliant, I will be following your lead from now on.

Brian
Now Brian, if you do that when you weld the short ends back together so as not to waste any you are going to have one ugly rod

John L
Old 12-20-2012, 04:15 AM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

One time the local blacksmith was forging a corretive shoe for this mans horse and he had the forge going strong and the shoe was white hot. They both looked up and noticed that the local "idiot" was headed towards the shop. The blacksmith said "Watch this!" and he laid the hot shoe on the face of the anvil. The "idiot" kinda eased around the shop and saw the white hot shoe. He reached down and picked it up and then let it go very quickly. The blacksmith and the customer laughed and the blacksmith said "Was it Hot?" and the "idiot" replied "Nawwww, it just doesnt' take me long to look at a horse shoe !"
Old 12-20-2012, 07:55 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

hot fit ?

We had the old blacksmith shop on the ranch, My stepdad and his brothers bought out all the neighbors and all their old customers moved away so they worked winters in a shop in a near by silver-lead mine. . My step dad used to shoe horses, sometimes he would hot fit a shoe to a hoof. It would smoke a little bit and then he would put the horse's foot in a bucket of water before checking the fit.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:12 AM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

Quote:
My step dad used to shoe horses, sometimes he would hot fit a shoe to a hoof. It would smoke a little bit and then he would put the horse's foot in a bucket of water before checking the fit.
Was a farrier for several years and when you hot fit the shoe to the foot it smells like setting fire to a wet bone. Sure do get a good fit that way. Don't do much hot shoeing down here in the South unless it's for a corrective shoe. Heating and cooling shoes up in the North also kinda hardens/tempers them which is better in that rocky terrain.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:51 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Oh hell yes my hands are still pretty tough even though I am not working on the cars anymore at work but that isn't what I am talking about. I am talking welding something then picking it up, this is just plain dumb but I have done it over and over, do some of you guys do this?

I mean, it isn't like brushing against something I am talking I JUST welded it yet I grabbed the damn thing with my bare hand.

Brian
If I hadn't seen how nice your welding is I'd just say some people should stay at thier desk where its safe.but then some people arn't safe anywhere..I knew a guy with one eye he said he lost it in the war,but what really happend was he and an office coworker were shooting paper clips at each other and he caught one in the eye. he always had at least three bandaids on his fingers from paper cuts too.
the last place I want to be is in the office ,it too dangerous for someone like me....So make the best of it maybe you can color in those thread marks that are burned into your skin so it looks like a biker tatoo with (dont tread on me ) or something...or something like that old Kung fu movie where he had to lift a red hot bowl of coals with his fore arms....but what ever you do dont tell the truth about how dumb you are ,trust me ,make up some kind of cool tuff guy story.like you were working on a high rise and the guy that heated the bolts would throgh them to you and you caught them bare handed then the lunch bell rang so you just carried it until lunch was over....See ,you can get good at it after a while....
Man, back in the big war I got a lot of similar looking marks from hot shrapnel,but my most recent I got on my search for Bin laden,those crazy guys, when they ran out of bullits they shot bolts at you.....and those suckers were HOT....
Old 12-25-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
the one I hate is when you're wearing regular sneaker and weld molt burns into your shoe and you can't do anything about it
SNEAKERS????? we ALL wear sandles down here..... What a great idea....and socks too....we just said we're dancing....until the boss said were having too much fun and work isnt supposed to be fun so no more dancing when your welding or you'll get a pay cut....
Old 12-25-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
I have a big hole in the tread of my high top , steel toe red-wing boots, those boots were supposed to last at least 5 years, It was cold outside and I was wearing heavy thermal hunting socks. I finally smelled the rubber burning.
ever catch your pants on fire???? I smelled something burning but but every time I looked I didnt see anything... someone saw my pant leg on fire and ran over and put me out...turns out you cant see yourself on fire with an old style welding helmet on...I know now...
Old 12-25-2012, 08:18 AM

[QUOTE=tech69;1624123]I worked with a guy who got his pony tail stuck in a fan. OUCH! He was stuck for a couple minutes til someone cut his hair. He had scalp surgery but still has his pony tail. He's also a bass guitarist in pretty solid band.[/QUOTE

I got my pony tail caught in a creeper wheel and couldnt get out from under the car..I was stuck under that car for two hours until the help came in,LATE as usual ....to this day I refuse to get on one.... card board or a blanket works just fine for me ....
Old 12-25-2012, 11:42 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,322 Times in 1,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
ever catch your pants on fire???? I smelled something burning but but every time I looked I didnt see anything... someone saw my pant leg on fire and ran over and put me out...turns out you cant see yourself on fire with an old style welding helmet on...I know now...
LOL, that happen to me one time but it was my shirt! I was laying on my creeper welding the fender well on a pickup bed and I hear some guy screaming at me and then hitting me with a fire blanket. Burnt a hole about six inches wide right on my belly!

Brian
Old 12-25-2012, 05:11 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

[quote=deadbodyman;1626783]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
I worked with a guy who got his pony tail stuck in a fan. OUCH! He was stuck for a couple minutes til someone cut his hair. He had scalp surgery but still has his pony tail. He's also a bass guitarist in pretty solid band.[/QUOTE

I got my pony tail caught in a creeper wheel and couldnt get out from under the car..I was stuck under that car for two hours until the help came in,LATE as usual ....to this day I refuse to get on one.... card board or a blanket works just fine for me ....
I don't know what you guys are whimpering about. I would be glad to get my pony tail caught in something.

I hope everyone had a blessed Christmas.

John L

Old 12-25-2012, 05:31 PM

ILMAO,John....sometimes I forget how rare a full head of hair is ,my younger brother has even less than you ,he started losing it in his thirties...I've only had short hair for about five years now...but its still all there...
Old 12-25-2012, 05:34 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
ILMAO,John....sometimes I forget how rare a full head of hair is ,my younger brother has even less than you ,he started losing it in his thirties...I've only had short hair for about five years now...but its still all there...
If it doesn't bother this woman I have been with for 44 years I would be a damn fool to let it bother me.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:37 PM
Die standin' up

Last journal entry: geezer69 nova 63
Last photo:

i seen an indian feller get his long hair hung in a worm drive skill saw. needed a hair cut after we chopped it off the side of his head. not one scratch though. could have ben real bad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.