Is burning your hands like this common or am I just the dumbest? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2012, 07:33 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Is burning your hands like this common or am I just the dumbest?

At the arrows you will see where I burnt my hand today. The way I burnt it is what is mind blowing. I welded a bolt across another bolt to use as a "wing nut" on one of my heat lamps and after putting the welder away I walked over move the lamp and then decided to change the height........come on now. If this was the first time that would be fine, but I have been doing this all my life!
In metal shop 35 years ago I did it, welded bolts together then picked them up! One time years ago I torched off a bolt on a trailer hitch then laid on the friggin red hot bolt head to fit a hitch! I have a quarter sized scar on my butt! How the hell do you do this more than once?

Brian

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 07:54 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

get tuff.

When I worked full time as a welder my skin got thickenedd up from all the heat. Or shake hands with a farmer that works outside all the time , a lot different from someone that is inside on a keyboard all day. and I try to keep a pair of pliars in My cartharts when I work in the shop. A gun is always loaded and a piece of metal is always hot. OPPS I singed the hair on my left hand last week using the torch. adjusting before welding and hadn't put the left hand gloves on yet.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:57 PM

Last photo:

Oh hell yes my hands are still pretty tough even though I am not working on the cars anymore at work but that isn't what I am talking about. I am talking welding something then picking it up, this is just plain dumb but I have done it over and over, do some of you guys do this?

I mean, it isn't like brushing against something I am talking I JUST welded it yet I grabbed the damn thing with my bare hand.

Brian
Old 12-16-2012, 08:08 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

Hmmm, maybe alzheimers kickin in?
Old 12-16-2012, 08:24 PM

Last photo:

Then it was setting in 35 years ago.

Brian
Old 12-16-2012, 08:30 PM
Dried up in the Drought! :(

Last wiki edit: Pre-1980 VIN decoding
Last journal entry: 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 409

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, I've done similar things. Yes, just get done welding something, take the gloves off and YEAOUCHH!!!.

I've done a bunch of other stupid things also like putting a transmission in a car, balancing the said tranny on a floor jack, the tranny slips and I put my hand out to catch it. You discover that a Turbo 400 and the cement floor are both pretty hard when your hand is in between. Then I wonder, WHAT WAS I THINKING???

Changing the starter in the Thunderbird my son was driving to school out in front of the school where the starter went out. Laying on my back under the car, the old starter slips, I put my hand out to catch it and the nose attempts to drive my finger into the cement street. I walk into the school with blood streaming out of my finger asking for Kleenexs. Again I wonder, WHAT WAS I THINKING???

I could go on but I feel your pain.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:41 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

I can't believe the rest of you guys are admitting you do these dumb things. I would never reach through the flame of an O/E torch to pick up a new rod or pick up the wrong end of the rod when hammer welding. Only a dummy would do that. Not me. I do love Aloe plants though. I try to keep one on my window sill. You know just in case one of my dumb friends has an accident while he is over here.

John L
Old 12-16-2012, 10:34 PM
Die standin' up

Last journal entry: geezer69 nova 63
Last photo:

hahaha, im laughin with you martinsr ! i still do things like that too. it hurts like hrck dont it. hahaha
Old 12-16-2012, 10:49 PM

Last photo:

John, one time I was gas welding and I went to adjust the flame. I grabbed the butt of the torch and brought it towards me to make this adjustment and the welding rod was in my left hand that was also grabbing the butt, when I pulled it towards me I brought the hot end of the welding rod right into my manhood! Now, I missed the good stuff by about a half inch but burnt a hole thru the pants, underwear and into my body!

It just blows me away that I can weld something and then pick it up, I guess we have our heads on the work and forget about the "little things". Thanks guys for making me feel better.

Brian
Old 12-17-2012, 12:42 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
At the arrows you will see where I burnt my hand today. The way I burnt it is what is mind blowing. I welded a bolt across another bolt to use as a "wing nut" on one of my heat lamps and after putting the welder away I walked over move the lamp and then decided to change the height........come on now. If this was the first time that would be fine, but I have been doing this all my life!
In metal shop 35 years ago I did it, welded bolts together then picked them up! One time years ago I torched off a bolt on a trailer hitch then laid on the friggin red hot bolt head to fit a hitch! I have a quarter sized scar on my butt! How the hell do you do this more than once?

Brian

you are a legend around here, stop whining. Leave that for me! And you got your wedding ring on...WTH??? I go to work everyday and the first thing I do is put a band aid on my messed up cuts and then surround the band aid with sports tape. End of story, sealed off, done. When I get home my baby wants to take a bath with poppa in his trunks and at that time I have to decide whether or not I have too much crap on my hands or body to polute the bath water cause she will always suck on the rubber ducky and most times she cries and doesn't understand why she can't play with pops in the bath. I'll show you a cut allright!
Old 12-17-2012, 07:22 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

guess he hasn't crossed the starter with the ring yet, thats fun.. you don't need the band anymore as you'll have a band tatoo. fun times..
Old 12-17-2012, 07:41 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
John, one time I was gas welding and I went to adjust the flame. I grabbed the butt of the torch and brought it towards me to make this adjustment and the welding rod was in my left hand that was also grabbing the butt, when I pulled it towards me I brought the hot end of the welding rod right into my manhood! Now, I missed the good stuff by about a half inch but burnt a hole thru the pants, underwear and into my body!

It just blows me away that I can weld something and then pick it up, I guess we have our heads on the work and forget about the "little things". Thanks guys for making me feel better.

Brian
LOL We could do a thread on gas welding mishaps alone. One time I went to push the welding rod up in my hand by pushing the end against my leg. You guessed it. I had turned it backwards. That sucker went all the way to the bone in my thigh. Sizzled! Left a perfect 3/32 hole in my leg. I guess it cauterized the wound because there was no blood. Just this perfect round hole in my leg. I have this little white scar to remind me.

John L

PS Congratulations on the game. My brother in Boston hates you.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:09 AM

Last photo:

I LOVE wearing my wedding ring everyday. I love my wife and I want her with me. What I did was use a key chain like this.

Mine has literally a miniature air hose coupler! When I need to remove the ring to feel bondo, or where it could be dangerous I pull my key chain out and put it on the coupler. It's always with me and later I just put it back on.

John, you just brought back another memory! LOL, I stuck a welding rod into my leg just like you did. That sucker went in DEEP. It felt like a frigging charlie horse that wouldn't go away! I went to the ER with the welding rod and the doctor wanted to hear all about how it worked "You melt this metal into the other metal?" LOL Then finally he said, well, if you are going to stick something into your body nothing better than a frying hot piece of metal. It has no germs on it, it basically cauterized the wound. Yeah great I'll remember that doc.

Yeah that Niners game was a great game! Even though The Pats lost fans should be happy for such a great game.

Brian
Old 12-17-2012, 09:40 AM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

My palm reader says she can see that you will do many more silly things in your future lol.

Glad your basically OK Brian
Old 12-17-2012, 11:21 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom10 View Post
My palm reader says she can see that you will do many more silly things in your future lol.

Glad your basically OK Brian
LOLOLOL, thanks for the laugh, no doubt I have plenty more!

Brian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.