Burnt Points...Hot Coil? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2004, 09:01 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Angry Burnt Points...Hot Coil?

So....1965 Chevelle...327...stock type distributor, points, coil.

Car stalled and quit yesterday...getting fuel...but just a very weak spark. Coil was VERY HOT....could barely keep my hand on it. Towed the car home pulled the points and they are burnt...color is blue-orange.....they look fried.

I have read the posts on ballast resistors that are supposed to be installed between the coil and the power source...but this car does not have one. I changed out the original coil, points, etc earlier this year and now I have this problem???

Here is my question...since I will be doing a rebuild anyway in the next year, what should I replace this stock setup with for better performace....HEI or Pertronix type electronics? Engine is stock right now but will be doing a major overhaul (350-360 HP) in the coming winter.

Thanks for any input.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2004, 09:08 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Check the voltage at the power wire...........should be about 7 volts. If it's 12 volts, put in a ballast resister.

Did you leave the ignition on for an extended period of time without the engine running? That will burn the points.

Seems to me, that you had a faulty coil.

I would change it over to an HEI.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:13 PM

Last photo:

Voltage is +12 volts.....any preference to brand of HEI?
Old 07-12-2004, 05:16 AM

Last photo:

Put a stock GM unit in.................they are pretty much fool proof and a dime a dozen...........just connect it to that 12 volt source.

I wonder what happened to that resister wire on your Chevelle.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:14 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

HEI

[color=yellow]Doc Here

HEI gets my vote!

As Poncho Said... Dime a dozen, and you can't screw it up!
(unless you make a serious plan to do so)

Remember to REMOVE the resistor when you upgrade it.

Also, Now, Check the Coil to be sure it hasn't gone on to that place where old coils go to expire.....

If not add your new resistor, replace the points, and it should be all good....

Points...
Saw a set once... I think....
Was in the Smithsonian??...
Or maybe Relic's of the Mayflower...??

Oh wait, I remember now!
It was in a book! Titled:

"101 things you can Repair on a Car with a match book Cover and slotted screwdriver"

In the Beginning...
The Lords of General Mystery
looked down upon the Distributor,
and said "Let there be points"
And there were points...
....and it was good"

Hope It Helps.,
Doc
[/color]
Old 07-12-2004, 07:54 AM
Marcel

Last journal entry: Choo-choo town
Last photo:

THE POINTS

MY understand of the points system is that its a short circuit when there together. If it true, and you leave the switch on, with out the engine running \, and the points are together, they goin get hot and burn. I had some that wouldn't work once, this old geeeser used a cig. leaf (paper he used to roll his own) and clean the oil off the tips, son-of-a-gun, worked great.I had to mow his yard while he fix it.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:38 AM

Ya gotta admit Doc, it was (45 or so years ago) a warm feeling when you could cure the problem (yours or someone else's) by asking around for a matchbook cover and a screwdriver and curing the problem with them - made you look like McGiver - Especially at the local hangout on Saturday night.
Charlie Smith
Old 07-12-2004, 09:09 AM

Last photo:

OK...one last thing. If I installed a Proform 66941 HEI....will the coil/cap etc all fit OK under the hood..."65 Chevelle?

Any thing I need to know about installation...or just connect the hot wire and ground and ready to go?
Old 07-12-2004, 10:42 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I've bought 2 hei's from an Ebayer in Canada, they have been great units, rebuilt. P.M. me if you want, I'll find his Ebay handle. Dan
Old 07-12-2004, 11:52 AM

hmm i would just go to the junk yard with a 9/16s and get one for a few bucks, heck even get 2 that way if there are any problems you already have a spare cap rotor and the rest o the parts.
Jesse
Old 07-12-2004, 05:11 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

HEI

Quote:
Originally posted by wickster
OK...one last thing. If I installed a Proform 66941 HEI....will the coil/cap etc all fit OK under the hood..."65 Chevelle?

Any thing I need to know about installation...or just connect the hot wire and ground and ready to go?

[color=yellow]Doc Here

Clearance Shouldn't be a problem at all. (unless you got some magic going on under the hood! )

And Installation is just that simple! Set your timing on #1 Compression TDC Before You Pull the old one out.

I do this because.... I'm me.... And if it can be done wrong... home or abroad... I will endeavor to do it bassackwards... this way, your set on timing in case something goes wrong.

I So get distracted by shiny objects....Headlights on the horizon ...(the deer theory) .... Good lookin' women... long legs.....bugs on the windshield....

Remember, the Oil pump rod must line up when you drop it in Else it won't seat all the way until the engine turns.. then it will move a slight bit off #1 if you set it dead on...

You can line it up with a long slotted Screwdriver before you drop it in. And Also it moves a slight bit because the gear is diagonal cut... you'll get a feel for it when you take the old one out. watch the rotor as you pull it up....

Take note of the advance clearance, leave enough room without hitting anything so as to advance and retard it a fair amount without hitting stuff, like the trans vacuum line...Oh and get a new "O" ring base gasket...

Electrical is just that simple, on the Cap, Install the 12 volt line, to the tab marked 12 volts. Don't use a resistor...

If you have a tach, it has a tab for that too, then get a good ground and install that too... your set.

Install your New higher energy wires clockwise (for those without digital watches...)...18436572 and your gold....

****************MEMORY LANE*********************

CLEARANCE...For the Young guy's... smoke em' if ya got em'....5 minute break...................

OK.... you young guy's hold your ears....

For us...Old Folk, remember on the 265's, and early 283's how when you got on them hard, like a torque stand the car would backfire and quit runnin' until you replaced the broken rotor?

And how confused when your older brother told you:

"You have a broken right motor mount?"

The engine would rise up on torque, hit the firewall just enough to "flex, but not break the Cap, but knock the rotor Tab off the button..." KAPOW........

............................Ahhhh the Good 'Ol Days............................
  • Back when AM radio was king and FM didn't exist...
  • Burger King was only a prince.....
  • $2.00 a gallon ment you'd have to paint the house..not fill the tank....
  • Flying "A" was a place to buy the gas...not the name you called the guy that raised the price before he sold it to ya'
  • A lube job was performed in the lube bay..not at the cash register...

Fits right in with things like Waiting 5 + minutes for your *AM *Wonderbar radio*
    (ahhh and yes, my children... you could still receive AM radio at night...)

*Vibrator* (ZZZZZ~BUZZZ~ZZZZZ sounded like your father's Shaver...)

To warm up the Tubes (<---- What The heck were those?)

enough and the audio would come on... usually loud enough to blow the dust outta the headliner....Only to hit a good sized bump down the road...then the whole process started all over again??

Or the HOTTEST car audio System on the market was the replacement of the Auto Record player

(the one you slid the record into...)

for the NEW * LEAR * 4 track, MONO Tape player...ya remember, the one with the flat top deck, and slide handle...hole in the tape for the pinch roller??

The Good old days.......

OK, young guy's breaks over.....

Doc
  • [/color]
Old 07-19-2004, 10:18 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Gents...I put in a new Mallory HEI...starts fantastic..runs great.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:11 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

HEI

[color=yellow]Doc Here

Well, was it as easy as it Sounded? Any problems in the hook up?

And, have you noticed any Changes like for instance, Mileage?

Give us all the Dirt!

Doc
[/color]

Quote:
Originally posted by Charles F. Smith
Ya gotta admit Doc, it was (45 or so years ago) a warm feeling when you could cure the problem (yours or someone else's) by asking around for a matchbook cover and a screwdriver and curing the problem with them - made you look like McGiver - Especially at the local hangout on Saturday night.
Charlie Smith
[color=yellow]Doc Here

Yeah, growing up, I was the Junior in the Bunch, hanging around with the older guy's (My older Sis's Boyfriends.. 5 yrs my senior) for just that reason...

Could always get it running with the most obscure things... kinda makes you feel as valuable as a spare tire or tool kit in the trunk...

But I was the ONLY kid in Jr. High school, that had a need for a parking space...Which I might add, contributed to the delinquency of the Muni~Court system...Maybe I shoulda got a license first....Ya Think??

Doc
[/color]

Quote:
Originally posted by lanierledford
MY understand of the points system is that its a short circuit when there together. If it true, and you leave the switch on, with out the engine running \, and the points are together, they goin get hot and burn. I had some that wouldn't work once, this old geeeser used a cig. leaf (paper he used to roll his own) and clean the oil off the tips, son-of-a-gun, worked great.I had to mow his yard while he fix it.
[color=yellow]Doc Here

Yup, you are correct, you had a 1 in 6 or 8 chance of not getting point pit if you wanted to sit at the local drive ~in eating your food, Eying the local talent and and listening to your radio / Tape player BEFORE we discovered what ACC was all about...

Anyway, that was part of the reason for the resistor .. to sock the current out of the points when that happened... Coil would still get hot. As well as the resistor... Ohhh what a Joy when you laid your arm on the ceramic resistor after 5 minutes of "On" with the points closed!

I always Carried (and still do today) in the trunk, At least 1 each of all the items left over from the last tune up... 1 plug, 1 wire, (and spare coil wire) the old points, the old rotor, the old cap, Screwdriver, and pliers & match book cover... Many is the time, They pulled my buns outta the fire along the road, for me or someone else

I'd say you got off cheap, mowing the lawn for the labor...

Well ... unless you are my age... when growing up, mowers had no Briggs & Strattons, were Human powered, always had dull reel blades, that would lock up on the slightest damp lawn and leave Skid marks that looked like you did a torque stand with the mower... that you would catch H*ll about By your pop afterwords...

If you bought 19 Cents worth of gas for your mower (1 gallon) everybody knew you were going to CLEAN it, not power it!

Doc
[/color]

Last edited by docvette; 07-20-2004 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:59 PM
Marcel

Last journal entry: Choo-choo town
Last photo:

Doc and the early years

Doc, I can remember in 1960 when gas got down to .16 per gallon. Man, back then you couldn't drive 5 bucks worth of gas out in a weekend. I remember leaving a
Atlanta, and going up to chatt. Tenn, to honesty charles, just for the ride. We bought a chatt. news paper just so we could prove we did it. That was sat. nite, Sunday afternoon, we went to birmingham L A , labama that is. O for the good old days, they'll never be back.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:05 PM

Last photo:

I remember the 1st time it cost me $10 to fill my Chevelle with Sunoco 260.............boy, was I pi**ed.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.