business posting policy: ideas? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2004, 09:32 AM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

business posting policy: ideas?

We've been tossing this one around in the Moderator forum. We'd like to create a new business posting policy that would set fair guidelines for business owners who post on the Hotrodders Bulletin Board.

We WANT guys who run hotrodding businesses to be able to help out our members with their products and services. I know we have a number of such guys on the board, and they've been EXTREMELY helpful, especially with hard-to-find parts or services. We want them to stick around, and to keep doing their thing -- they are hotrodders helping hotrodders .

We DON'T WANT large businesses overrunning the board with their cheesy promotions.

Different boards deal with this in different ways. What I think might work for us is a policy framed around the following idea: No posting of business contact information in threads.

This would mean that we WOULDN'T allow business URLs, phone numbers, addresses, emails, etc. -- in threads, usernames, custom user titles, and avatars. But we WOULD allow business contact info in user profiles, or in PM's.

So...if a business owner found someone who was looking for a part or service, all they had to say was: "I can help you out...you can find my business contact info in my user profile". Or, they could say: "I'll send you a PM with my business contact details and some more information".

Business owners especially -- we need your help with this one! We need a fair policy that allow you to continue helping hotrodders, without leaving us vulnerable to advertising from the "big guys".

Ideas/feedback/criticism?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2004, 09:40 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

If their hyperlink would fit in the Avatar, I would think its not too overwhelming. Kind of like Project Journal. Or even something as innoculous as "Vendor Link" in the Avatar. As long as they are trying to help out with valid info, why not reward their efforts? Good call Jon!

Now if they sent me a T-shirt, for helping them out here, then that would be good too! Can never have too many car shirts, ya know !
Old 10-25-2004, 09:43 AM

Last photo:

Jon,

That sounds like a good plan. The info these folks can give is priceless, but like you stated, we don't want this to become an advertisement board. I think you folks do a great job of moderating this board. It's nice to come to a place to get info from those that have more experience than I do. The only complaint I have, which has nothing to do with the moderators, is sometimes folks have a way of "talking down" to those asking a question. The purpose here is to help not to humiliate. I realize people disagree, but there can be disagreements without putting someone else down. My $.02

Barry
Old 10-25-2004, 10:04 AM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

This is so strange. The other day in the engine forum I saw two members, (one was cstaub (sp?) who run businesses that sell performance parts. I thought it was to bad they couldn't advertise on here they might have things other members need.

Jon maybe a little section for the site members businesses, with a link at the top. But you need to set it up so that you have to approve their business advertisement, other wise people will just join to get the free advertising.

Maybe some businesses will offer a little HR.com member discount.

Last edited by Ghetto Jet; 10-25-2004 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:32 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

The trick to designing a proper "atmosphere" for members and small business guys is having some guidelines.

I specialize myself in custom cylinder heads, but I have always refrained from trying to advertise my stuff. I use other venues to peddle my wares, and I have felt in the past that the board wasn't the greatest place to do it directly anyway.
However, being able to help out a fellow member would be nice once in a while without looking like I'm just here to sell stuff, because I'm not.

If there were no rules concerning advertising, just imagine how polluted and corrupt the board would become. You would get answers to tech questions that might not be true or slanted to help push someone's products which would be detrimental to the quality of the board.

It would be nice, however, to be able to contact a member that's been hunting for that one item, or service that you can provide for them.

If it's done via PM or email and is done discretlely, I see no problem with it. It would be a big plus for guys who are trying to earn a buck and for consumers looking for a bargain, and to buy from somebody they know.

Brian
Old 10-25-2004, 11:55 AM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

Good deal, there has been times when I could have sold some parts from my parts stores, just to help a member with a part that they were looking for, But I didn't. It's a lot easier to sell across the counter than it is to sell and pack and ship, But on hard to find parts that I have access to I would.

Troy
Old 10-25-2004, 12:04 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

business

I think it would be a good idea for us business owners but it could turn into a nightmere for the moderators. I have been a part of a few other forums that got over run by people selling parts and giving so much false info just so they can sell there parts to un-informed people......And it pretty much trashed the site.I really hate to see this site go that direction.... even though i might profit from it. Maybe if there was a way to watch the sellers to see if they contribute useful info on the tech side of the forum...... Plus we have a really good group of troll hunters here.... (Oh my a new name just poped into my head "Business troll") that would keep it in check.

Maybe a trial run to see if it works out,,, If not you can yank it....

Or maybe all the business owners that are here now can vote on letting a new one enter the business section???? Just a thought..

Keith
Old 10-25-2004, 02:45 PM

Last photo:

Only let the "good" members advertise their business.
Old 10-25-2004, 02:58 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Ghetto Jet
Only let the "good" members advertise their business.

does that mean i can't sell my carburater kit for single cylinder smoke rods?

good call Jon, I've said before that i'd rather buy from the members here than to buy from somewhere else. If i'm gonna drop a dollar, i'd rather drop it in the pocket of someone i know.

anyone into powder coating? I have some homemade grill inserts i'd like to get done.
Old 10-25-2004, 03:15 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

How about a seperate forum or a new title under the Bulletin Board??

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 10-25-2004, 03:25 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by crazy larry
does that mean i can't sell my carburater kit for single cylinder smoke rods? :
Sure larry, you can sell them (in the classified ads section)
Old 10-25-2004, 06:11 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Jon, I think you and the moderators are on to a good plan. Maybe with the ideals rolling in will help flesh it out to where it is a win-win situation. KristCustoms comes to mind; A guy that has offered suggestions, ideals, and assistance to many of us, but never once have I seen him solicit business. Guess you could say the same for Troy Curt. I knew he was into the car business, but dare say most of us could not pinpoint what it is. We need to make sure this does not become a SPAM site, and it must also be an equal opportunity plan. We just can't say "only the good guys can post" without clear guidelines of what a "good guy" is about.

Trees
Old 10-25-2004, 07:25 PM

business posting

I think that's the right way put business owners under their profile. Being a member just a few months I had to stop and catch myself when peolpe were in need of something. After years of dealing with the public you just sometimes don't even think about it. And it's done with no disrespect to the current forum. This is by far the best web site running & it's members.
I wonder if business owners could be listed in special fields?
Machine Shops, Body & Paint, Upholstery, Powder Coating, HARD to find parts, engine builders etc..........
Old 10-25-2004, 08:10 PM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

Jon, if you need any help on this let me know, I'll do what I can.

I don't think we should advertise here, I'm not sure just how would be the best way to accommodate every one. Although I am retired and my three boys manage our businesses, they keep me as busy as I want to be, and don't want to get into a mail order business right now.

A member was looking for a steering sector for a early camaro,
I PMed him and gave him the telephone number at the store which he called and bought a sector. Something like that would be alright just to accommodate someone once in a while with something that they couldn't get local.

Trees,
I didn't know I was so mysterious. We have three Bumper to Bumper parts stores with auto repair and body shops attached,
A storage rental facility,and a gun store. These are inc. and the business is called Twin Oaks Automotive,Inc. Based out of Elkins Ar. and Huntsville Ar. And I have a small shop at my home for specialized custom and fab. work.

Also in my spare time I make custom knifes and custom tooled leather belts, holsters,saddles and what ever can be made out of leather.

This is where I come to relax and argue with the youngsters.

Troy
Old 10-25-2004, 09:27 PM
im on a highway to hell

Last journal entry: new wheels and seats
Last photo:

sounds like a good idea to me, you could tie in the ability to enter the buisness section with a minimum number of posts like 50 or 75, i also wouldnt worry about advertising because you are trying to help the board members and we all know who is who around here so i dont think getting the message out would be a problem.

another idea is to list them in the knowlege base as resourses, and list them as members and thier buisness names and product line or service.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.