Butt Welding Body Panels? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2010, 11:23 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

or you could forget about all of the welding and just use panel bonding adhesive. It will save a ton of time and is pretty hard to screw up. As a newb i tried welding a bunch of lower quarter patches and had a lot of warpage no matter what I did to prevent it. I worked at night for days and days on all that. Then I bought a gun and a tube of panel bonding ahesive and tore through the quarter panels patches in 2 nights. I was limited by how many clamps I had. I will never spend all that time fighting a welder again for non-structural repairs. I used Lord Fuzor brand and would recommend thier stuff to anyone.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2010, 11:26 AM

Last journal entry: Hood
Last photo:

what about when it comes to doing things like shaving door handles? can you use body adhesive there cuz i have seen that come through before. I have always welded them in.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:02 PM

Last photo:

I would think that that is the perfect example of a good place for panel bonding adhesive. That much welding in that small of an area would probably be no big deal for an experianced welder but for guys like me who have just a few hours of welding under thier belt can turn that into a nightmare of warped metal. You would just have to cut out a piece of metal to be about 1" bigger than the hole you are filling, flange the edges to flush it out with the door skin, and glue it. Use 4 or 5 screws to hold it in place (remove once the glue is dry) or possibly wedge something from behind.

Again, for the high end builders, this probably wouldn't be considered the "right" way to do it, but for hobbiest and newbies like me, I think it's the way to go.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:45 PM
Just stuck

Last photo:

Good welding comes with practice, practice, practice! Having good equipment helps too....
Old 06-21-2010, 04:30 PM

Last photo:

I think my low end welder is part of my problem. I started off with a flux core unit then swapped to gas when I realized what a mistake that was. But I still stuck with a low end model from Northern Tools. It works. That's about all I can say for it. There isn't very precise tuning for it so getting it dialed in for what you are working on is a crap shoot. I don't use one enough to warrant dropping $1000 on one.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:02 PM
Just stuck

Last photo:

Having good equipment pays for itself and quickly.....not only in frustration but in the job they help you do.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.