Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Interior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/interior/)
-   -   Buttons? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/buttons-186721.html)

Coodeville 10-28-2010 01:08 AM

Buttons?

1 Attachment(s)
What's the right way to get this off? Just pry it?

DanTwoLakes 10-28-2010 07:54 AM

Get something pointed ( like an ice pick) and force it into one of the 4 cracks around the button. Once you pry up one of the 4 quarters, it will be easy to remove the button.

Coodeville 11-18-2010 06:55 PM

It was a real task to get these buttons off. Some were damaged. Where can I get the part that holds the button on?

DanTwoLakes 11-19-2010 08:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You won't be able to find the exact part that holds your button on. You will have to use a #15 button washer, also called a spring washer for threaded nails. Most upholstery shops would have them, but if you can't find any locally, send me a PM and I'll send you some. You may have to trim them to fit under the loop, but you can cut them with a heavy scissors.

Coodeville 12-18-2010 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes
You won't be able to find the exact part that holds your button on. You will have to use a #15 button washer, also called a spring washer for threaded nails. Most upholstery shops would have them, but if you can't find any locally, send me a PM and I'll send you some. You may have to trim them to fit under the loop, but you can cut them with a heavy scissors.

The original ones are hog ringed onto the seat in order to pull the button in. Can you hog ring the #15 washer?

DanTwoLakes 12-19-2010 10:35 AM

If it was me doing it I would just wrap some button string around the washer and pull it in that way.

Coodeville 12-19-2010 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes
If it was me doing it I would just wrap some button string around the washer and pull it in that way.

That's probably eaiser than hog ringing it back in. I really had to fight with the thing. It's probably easier to do with an assistant.

Question: Through my research I'm coming to the conclusion that you have to fabricate new ones if needed. Am I right? I've seen through some web sites that buttons have there own specicific sizing terminology. In my case, it's a # 45 which is 1 1/8. It looks as if kits are offered to make these buttons. But they are expensive. Is there anywhere I can pick them up arleardy made and ready for installation?

DanTwoLakes 12-26-2010 05:56 AM

No, not ready made. You need to find someone with the machine and dies to make the buttons from scratch. I have a button making machine, but the largest size die I have is #40 and the cutter and top and bottom dies for size #45 would cost over $100. I have a supplier that will make any size button for me. I would need you to send me enough leather scraps to make the buttons with. Also, send one of the old buttons along to make sure you get the right size. Send me a PM.

Coodeville 01-18-2011 05:55 PM

Ok, so now I have my buttons. Can I find the string on perfectfit.com? I want to check it out. I might go that way instead of hog rings

DanTwoLakes 01-18-2011 10:46 PM

They don't seem to have it, but these guys do: BUTTON TWINE

Coodeville 01-19-2011 12:43 AM

Midwest Fabric has it as well.