Buyer Beware................... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2005, 12:10 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Buyer Beware...................

I was just browsing through an MSN group...the "Two-Lane Blacktop Homepage".

They have a post there, that there is an auction for the American Grafitti 55 Chevy, which they claim to be a fake.

Just thought that any potential bidders would want to read this.

Hope the link works.

http://groups.msn.com/TwoLaneBlackto...12593972375737

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2005, 02:01 PM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

That is completely wrong to do,but like you say.Buyer Beware....If I had the funds to purchase a vehicle such as that,you can believe before I shelled out my bills for it,that I would have researched the hell out of it just to be assured of the authenticity. Unfortunatley some sap will buy it on word and trust and think they got the deal of the century. A nice car to have regardless,but to post as actuall vehicle should be criminal intent at the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2005, 02:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

It'll be interesting to see if the car will be presented as the real deal. Regardless, too much will be spent for the car at this auction, it will be Barret-Jackson all over again. It's probablyabout a 15-20,000 car, at best, IMO. Dan
Old 03-05-2005, 05:16 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

I think one of the most cloned cars out there is the Black '55 from American Graffiti and the primered '55 from Two Lane Blacktop, although the '55 from Two Lane Blacktop is the American Graffiti '55. Also the AG '55 and I believe Milners Coupe are both owned by the same person and he shows them once in awhile. There was a special on the tube about it last year or so. As a matter of fact I believe there was quite a length discussion here on HotRodders at one time. Hafta do a search on that one.

Kevin
Old 03-05-2005, 06:33 AM

Last photo:

Yhe guy that runs the "Two-Lane Blacktop Homepage". above, claims to have the only remaining 2 lane 55. I don't know if this is true, but the members there seem to take this as gospel. He says nothing about owning the 32.

The story that I get has the AG car going to Canada, being found up here, returning to the US and being restored as the TLB car....................

And, tomorrow on "As the 55 Chevy Turns"............................................ .
Old 03-08-2005, 01:33 PM

Last photo:

This is quoted from the 2 Lane Blacktop Homepage.......about the history of the 55.

As you can see from some of the previous posts, there remains some confusion about the Two-Lane Blacktop/American Graffiti '55 Chevys. I've spent several years researching and documenting the location and fate of the '55 used in the two movies - along the way talking with Richard Ruth who built the three '55s for Two-Lane Blacktop, Henry Travers the transportation supervisor for American Graffiti, Monte Hellman the director of Two-Lane Blacktop, several of the post-studio owners of the two '55s that are still around, and have examined and photographed the two '55s that are known to still exist.

I've toyed with the idea of developing a timeline-style chart for the TLB/AG '55s as a visual aid for keeping them straight. To reinforce what TC55 posted earlier - who has also examined both '55s that survive - here is a quick summary of the cars:

#1 - (427/M22/Olds posi) Used in TLB by James Taylor and Harrison Ford in AG. Sold by Henry Travers on behalf of the studio to Sam Crawford in 1973, resold to Steve Fitch in Kansas in 1976, resold to Wayne Newsome in Maryland in 1985. (See October 1983 Car Craft and May 1976 Street Rodder for detailed articles and pics about the '55s). Newsome had the car modified into someone's idea of a show car and little of the car's original components remain. I have verified the car's title and VIN.

#2 (454/M22/Olds posi) Used by James Taylor in TLB only. Used to film scenes inside the car while it was being towed or driven. Sold to a studio employee shortly after filming was complete. Resold to a buyer in Canada in 1977, resold in Canada several times where it was painted black along the way, sold again in 2001 to Walt Bailey who restored it to its original TLB appearance. Most of the original components are still on the car - thus it's the only surviving, original '55 from TLB. I also verified its title and VIN.

#3 (454/TH400/Olds rear) Used in both TLB and AG. Built as a stunt car with a full rollcage. It was never rolled in TLB, but was used to film the rollover scene in AG. This car looked like the other two, but had a six-point rollcage instead of a four-point and had an all steel body instead of the fiberglass front ends, doors and deck lids on the other two. Henry Travers sold the '55 sans front sheet metal to a stock car racer in northern California, who stored it in a salvage yard for a number of years before it was eventually crushed. I have verified its fate through a written report from the stock car racer who bought it from Travers. Title and VIN unknown.

#? The AG Burn Car. Used in the final scenes of AG only. Never driven, this junkyard refugee was a '55 2-door hardtop that was painted black and hauled in to be burned. Travers affixed a piece of wood to the side window opening so that it would resemble a sedan/post car. It didn't have the rear wheelwells radiused like the #1,#2, or #3 cars did. Additionally, it had a deluxe rear bumper, something the other cars didn't. After it was toasted, Travers hauled it back to the salvage yard from whence it came and it is presumed to nave been crushed. It was never titled to the studio.

The Paradise Road scenes in AG started with the #1 car. As the car runs off the road and rolls, you see the #3 car. When it comes to rest, freeze frame and you can see the TH400 pan and also see that the car had no gas tank. Travers pulled the car along the ditch to get it to roll and almost ran over a cameraman in doing so. A few flames lick around the car, but it never rally burns. The next '55 you'll see if the 2-door hardtop Burn Car. Freeze frame again and you'll spot the body lines of a hardtop and you'll see that the black piece of wood didn't line up where a door post would, but was several inches further back into the rear quarter window opening.

Now to Barris' clone. I have first-hand accounts that he has at times claimed it's the actual '55 driven by Harrison Ford in AG. That was later proven false, so depending on when he was talking later, he claimed it was the rollover car that burned. At that time, he didn't appear to know that the rollover and burn cars were two different cars.

Too many details on the '55 that Barris has are incorrect for it to be either the #3 or the Burn Car. The most glaring item is that the radius on the Barris car's rear quarters do not match the shape of the those on the #3 car. Also, the Barris '55 is a 2-door sedan/post car and the burn car was a 2-door hardtop.

I'm waiting for the auction catalog with good pictures of the Barris '55 so that I can document other discrepancies with it. Hopefully, there won't be anyone silly enough to buy it and think it's the real movie car.

The AG '55 is a fairly easy car to clone/fake visually, but the myriad of known details on the authentic '55s built first for Two-Lane Blacktop help unmask the pretenders
Old 03-10-2005, 04:47 AM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

I still remember the pathetic attempt to fool viewers with the rollover car. Painted silver wheels, rusty single exhaust ect.

Kind of like the Vanishing point Challenger that morphed back and forth and in it's final split second before the head-on with the dozer actually turned into a Camero if I remember right.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:03 PM

Last photo:

my buddy is building a American Grafitti 55 Chevy, it will be a tilt front end,
with a big block and shall be a 4 speed car with 2 4s, these are some pics of when we were building the headers. body is ready to come off frame now, not sure if it will be a tube front axle (when he bought the car the front end was just finnished with disk brakes & all new bushings ect.) it does have some tall springs so it will set like the orginal American Grafitti 55 Chevy, everything is gona be old school. neat project. hes getting a lot of **** over the rear wheel wells cut out with a 55 gallon barrel 4 a pattern.

Old 05-19-2005, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
This is quoted from the 2 Lane Blacktop Homepage.......about the history of the 55.

As you can see from some of the previous posts, there remains some confusion about the Two-Lane Blacktop/American Graffiti '55 Chevys. I've spent several years researching and documenting the location and fate of the '55 used in the two movies - along the way talking with Richard Ruth who built the three '55s for Two-Lane Blacktop, Henry Travers the transportation supervisor for American Graffiti, Monte Hellman the director of Two-Lane Blacktop, several of the post-studio owners of the two '55s that are still around, and have examined and photographed the two '55s that are known to still exist.

I've toyed with the idea of developing a timeline-style chart for the TLB/AG '55s as a visual aid for keeping them straight. To reinforce what TC55 posted earlier - who has also examined both '55s that survive - here is a quick summary of the cars:

#1 - (427/M22/Olds posi) Used in TLB by James Taylor and Harrison Ford in AG. Sold by Henry Travers on behalf of the studio to Sam Crawford in 1973, resold to Steve Fitch in Kansas in 1976, resold to Wayne Newsome in Maryland in 1985. (See October 1983 Car Craft and May 1976 Street Rodder for detailed articles and pics about the '55s). Newsome had the car modified into someone's idea of a show car and little of the car's original components remain. I have verified the car's title and VIN.

#2 (454/M22/Olds posi) Used by James Taylor in TLB only. Used to film scenes inside the car while it was being towed or driven. Sold to a studio employee shortly after filming was complete. Resold to a buyer in Canada in 1977, resold in Canada several times where it was painted black along the way, sold again in 2001 to Walt Bailey who restored it to its original TLB appearance. Most of the original components are still on the car - thus it's the only surviving, original '55 from TLB. I also verified its title and VIN.

#3 (454/TH400/Olds rear) Used in both TLB and AG. Built as a stunt car with a full rollcage. It was never rolled in TLB, but was used to film the rollover scene in AG. This car looked like the other two, but had a six-point rollcage instead of a four-point and had an all steel body instead of the fiberglass front ends, doors and deck lids on the other two. Henry Travers sold the '55 sans front sheet metal to a stock car racer in northern California, who stored it in a salvage yard for a number of years before it was eventually crushed. I have verified its fate through a written report from the stock car racer who bought it from Travers. Title and VIN unknown.

#? The AG Burn Car. Used in the final scenes of AG only. Never driven, this junkyard refugee was a '55 2-door hardtop that was painted black and hauled in to be burned. Travers affixed a piece of wood to the side window opening so that it would resemble a sedan/post car. It didn't have the rear wheelwells radiused like the #1,#2, or #3 cars did. Additionally, it had a deluxe rear bumper, something the other cars didn't. After it was toasted, Travers hauled it back to the salvage yard from whence it came and it is presumed to nave been crushed. It was never titled to the studio.

The Paradise Road scenes in AG started with the #1 car. As the car runs off the road and rolls, you see the #3 car. When it comes to rest, freeze frame and you can see the TH400 pan and also see that the car had no gas tank. Travers pulled the car along the ditch to get it to roll and almost ran over a cameraman in doing so. A few flames lick around the car, but it never rally burns. The next '55 you'll see if the 2-door hardtop Burn Car. Freeze frame again and you'll spot the body lines of a hardtop and you'll see that the black piece of wood didn't line up where a door post would, but was several inches further back into the rear quarter window opening.

Now to Barris' clone. I have first-hand accounts that he has at times claimed it's the actual '55 driven by Harrison Ford in AG. That was later proven false, so depending on when he was talking later, he claimed it was the rollover car that burned. At that time, he didn't appear to know that the rollover and burn cars were two different cars.

Too many details on the '55 that Barris has are incorrect for it to be either the #3 or the Burn Car. The most glaring item is that the radius on the Barris car's rear quarters do not match the shape of the those on the #3 car. Also, the Barris '55 is a 2-door sedan/post car and the burn car was a 2-door hardtop.

I'm waiting for the auction catalog with good pictures of the Barris '55 so that I can document other discrepancies with it. Hopefully, there won't be anyone silly enough to buy it and think it's the real movie car.

The AG '55 is a fairly easy car to clone/fake visually, but the myriad of known details on the authentic '55s built first for Two-Lane Blacktop help unmask the pretenders

Poncho - sounds like you know your stuff. Any knowledge of what happened to the various chopped-top '49 - '51 Mercurys that were in movies? i.e. the one in "Cobra", the one in "Gone In Sixty Seconds" and of course the one in "American Graffiti"?
Just courious'
Charlie Smith
Old 05-19-2005, 12:22 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Charles, but I just copied that from the "2 Lane Blacktop" site..................If you want to ask them about the other cars, the web site is

http://groups.msn.com/TwoLaneBlacktopHomePage

also...AG site...

http://www.geocities.com/kippullman/
Old 05-19-2005, 09:40 PM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

They built 4 Mercs for Cobra and I am not sure if any survived, I am assuming that one did.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.