Buying car in US and bringing back to Canada - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2011, 07:30 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Buying car in US and bringing back to Canada

Hello everyone,

I have a question about bringing a vehicle that I am purchasing in the US and bringing back to Ontario.

I am about to purchase a 67 chevelle ss from illinois and bring it back to ontario. the seller tells me that the vehicle has a tennesee title that was signed over to someone in 77 but was never transferred over. will this title be good enough to get across the border, or does he need to transfer the title into his name first and then sign the new title over to me? has anyone had any experience with this? is there anyway around this? any help is very appreciated.

Thanks
JR
Private messageE-mail

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2011, 08:46 PM

Last photo:

Go to your nearest US border crossing and they have all the info you need. The first thing you need to know is that they want ALL the paper work AT LEAST 1 week before the car arrives to cross or they won't let it out of the country.
It's pretty painless once you know the steps.
Good luck.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:59 AM

Last photo:

I should have also mentioned to pop by the MTO office to make sure you know what you will need to do to get it registered in Ont. May have to do something with the speedo to show k/hr. but perhaps not on an older model.
Either way, a few hours of foot time could you save you mondo time down the road.
Good luck.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:24 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

I did it the other way ..

I bought a Mercury pickup in Canada and imported it to the USA.
Make sure you have everything needed before you get to the border.
Like OLDSGUY says ... go to the proper authorities and get the correct information and save yourself a bunch of grief later on.

They are very regulations conscious on BOTH sides of the border.

DEUCE ... MODERATOR

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 04-06-2011, 10:57 AM

Last photo:

Canada import

just go to the registar of imported vehicles site and there is a bunch of info there. I think there is a phone number for questions as well. I just punched in Canada registrar of imported vehicles and the first site was the one. is the title from the last registered state in the same name as the guy you are purchasing from? I have brought a car and a boat across at different times and I know they are very sticky on titles. that was 07 though. there is also a list of vehicles that can't be imported, for safety reasons I guess, but that shouldn't apply to your choice. I know they are very sticky on kit cars as well. a friend of mine bought a completed and titled kit car and ended up leaving it in storage in the USA until it could be sold- not importable. they wil definately need to know when it is coming across at least 24 hrs ahead of time. they wanted faxed copies sent 24 hrs ahead when i did mine, so make sure you get the fax number of the crossing you plan on using. the guy at sweetgrass montanna crossing also said that you don't want to be crossing in the middle of the night either. you are more suspect to them and they have more time to spend making sure everything is just right. they will give you a list of compliances and you need to get that done before your out of country inspection is done, so it passes. like I say, go to the website or call the registrar. then you will have your bases covered. not that hard if you know what is required.
keep us posted
dsraven
Old 04-06-2011, 11:07 AM

Last photo:

hey guys thanks for the replies.

no dsraven the title is in a different guys name, that's what I was wondering about, does he need to get the title transferred into his name?

Thanks again
Old 04-06-2011, 11:18 AM

Last photo:

title

I think they are gonna want to see at least the bill of sale to show the exchange into the new sellers ownership. otherwise, to them ( and you, unless you know this guy really well) who is to say that the car wasn't stolen or something. you might also want to do a search with documentation for the border guys. so they (and you) know exactly what the deal is with the title, and what the history is on the vehicle (accidents etc). if the seller is on the up and up it should be no problem. also, if you are driving it back, make sure to get an in transit permit for both sides of the border, and make sure to get your insurance etc all done ahead of time, with documentation to take with you. I don't know what the selling price is either, but they will ask you how much cash you are carrying across the border. you may want to find out all the implications before you go. we took travellers cheques, but it was a pain at the bank when we got there.
good luck and keep us posted
dsraven
Old 04-06-2011, 03:10 PM

Last photo:

hey thanks for the reply.

well the guy that's selling it, wasn't sure if it needed to be in his name either, so I said I would look into it and get back to him. he said he would transfer it into his name if need be, but said it would take around 4 weeks to get done. but I'm starting to think it would be the more legit way to go. get him to transfer it into his name, wait the 4 weeks or more. then we'll have a fresh title that can be signed over to me.

no I will be trailering it home, it has no motor in it at the moment. I think I'm going to use a broker for all the paper work, and save me the hassle with that. but I was just concerned with that title.

anyways thanks for your input, I'll keep ya posted.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:51 PM

Last photo:

title

if the guy is willing to hold it for you till the title comes through, I would go that route. it also looks more legit at the border and when it comes time to register it here in Canada. have you actually seen the car? just wondering because a friend of mine at work bought a boat that way, unseen. the pics all looked good but when he got to texas and seen it in person, he realized that the pics the guy had sent were nowhere near recent. he didn't end up buying the boat, it was in pretty bad shape. he found another one while he was down there. not saying your guy would do that, just saying to make sure all your ducks are in a row before you pay out. do you have a recent pic?
dsraven
Old 04-06-2011, 04:02 PM

Last photo:

Yeah I agree I think we'll go that route.

I have seen pics. I assume that the pics are recent. The car is a project car that I'm buying so it's not much right now to look at it. But yeah I'll def be checking it out in person down there before I put the cash in his hand
Old 04-06-2011, 07:15 PM

Yes, I agree with everyone who says to get him to transfer the title into his name. You would have trouble getting a title and registration for it even if you lived in Illinois. They frown on ownership of a vehicle without annual registration because who says that someone has not driven it without plates or using plates from another vehicle. The seller may even have to pay license fees for all the years since it was last registered. And they would probably not issue a registration if the name on the title is different from the actual seller's name.
Sounds like you are being very careful with this deal. Good thing too. This smells of fraud or at least dishonesty. You may need to provide documentation that this is a project vehicle and not one that has ben driven for many years. Good luck and please let us know how this turns out.
Terry
Old 04-06-2011, 07:20 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

In some states, it has become very difficult to get titles transferred on older vehicles so everything has to be current and up to date. Back in about 1994, I sold an older Bronco to a Canadian at Carlisle, Pa and we went to the business office and completed the title signing and notarized and also issued a notarized bill of sale and the transfer of funds was also witnessed by the notary. I returned home later in the day and that evening, I received a call from the Canadian that had purchased the vehicle and in turn, put the Border Customs guy on the phone to verify the sales/purchase price. The ensuing conversation offended me since he was questioning the sales price which was clearly marked and notarized by the Notary, who had witnessed the exchange of title and money and questioned my integrity of not being honest about the sale. After a few scathing remarks, he tried to smooth things over by explaining that there was a lot of attempts to falsify the sales price to beat customs out of their fair share. Unless they have changed their ways and attitudes, I would strongly urge you to have a current and up to date title to reflect the actual seller because you are going to get roughed up enough as is. The Notarized bill of sale should also include the sales price and the words of "exchanged hands in my presence" .

Trees

Last edited by trees; 04-06-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:34 PM

Last photo:

us car to canada

i have bought 4 us vehicles and brought to canada in the last 3 years,1st have a clear titel and a bill of sale from thethe titel holder.send the border work sheet to the us customes at least 3 days befor car arives.us customes will e mail you the work sheet,which includes registered owners name a photo copey of titel andbill of sale.wh en you arive at the border you must present the original titel and bill of sale to the us customes.by the way they have strict hrs monday to friday 8 to 4 nowyou go to canada customes,if car is 15 years or older(frome date of build)you dont need the federal govclearance just pay gst and pst and a provincial inspection and you are ok for rg. 15 years or newer need the fed paper work and fed inspection,day time head lights,all recals completed. good luck cliff

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.