buying dream car 89 Dodge Daytona Pro street roller - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2011, 09:28 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

buying dream car 89 Dodge Daytona Pro street roller

Hi guys,

I just found the car I've been looking for for a long time now. It is an 89 Dodge Daytona with mustang II front suspension Wilwood front disc brakes, 8 3/4 narrowed rear and come with an extra parts car in case I want to keep the interior. Needs the drivetrain and some tin work. He said he was building it for a SB Mopar I wonder if a BB will fit in there? Which engine would be best in there? A SB or a BB? are there any years to look for when searching for a motor to build? Are the newer magnum engines a good platform or are the older SB's better. I have a ton of questions but am very excited to get a car I have wanted for a long time.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2011, 09:51 AM
im on a highway to hell

Last journal entry: new wheels and seats
Last photo:

congrats on the car. getting one youv'e been looking for is always exciting does the car already have mounts for the small block? im assuming your going to have to fabricate most things for this build. if the prior owner has it set up for a small block i would just go with it.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:32 AM

Last wiki edit: How to make a custom dashboard
Last journal entry: Interior Tin
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Small block vs. big block depends on what you want out of it.

If you are looking for something that will have reasonable power and decent road manners and handling, the Magnum motor is a good choice. In your case, I would probably pick up a set of aluminum heads to keep the weight down also. There are some interchangeable parts between the old LA and the newer Magnum. The primary difference is the crank journal dimensions and the head/intake bolt patterns. If you go to one of the Mopar forums, there will be a debate over the old LA motors with W2/W4 heads against the new Magnums with RT or Indy heads. For the weight of your car, a small block can get around 400hp without a lot of adders which should move it pretty good.
The big block has more weight, and hasn't been in production for a long time, but there are buckets of parts available for them, and lots in the swap meets.
At the end of the day, yes it will fit but the weight and balance will be much different than with a small block as it is a few hundred pounds more weight up front. Easy to get lots of power, but you pay the price on weight.
Couple of wrinkles to throw in - a new Hemi is about the same size as the small block and can get lots of power. There are a few suppliers that have made intakes for a 4bbl or 6bbl setups, and even a distributor drive so it can go old school. The other is a R5 racing block although these are pricey and hard to find.
Cost wise the small and big block are about the same if you can find them. I am currently searching for a Magnum to go in my project and have found them for between $400 and $1000 in varying condition. New hemis run about $2000 - $2500 from the junk yards. Both have pretty large base as they have been in pickups for quite some time.
Can't wait to see your project, sounds real interesting.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:05 AM

Last photo:

The car doesn't have mounts yet, it is still pretty raw! I am looking for a project to build with my kids (still young but love to help Dad!) I want a car I can drive to shows, drive and/or trailer to the track. I want it as a toy! not to race it not as a daily driver, just something that I can take time to build and and make near show quality, and take to a track and have fun with it. I recently sold a 700hp 4cyl Dodge Daytona Iroc RT that was my baby but I had kids and had to unload. So now I have kids and want a project again. I have always wanted a RWD conversion but If I build something i want to build something sick!! If I choose a small block then I will either Turbo it or supercharge it for maxium performance!! I like the idea of a big block just for wow factor when popping the hood! I don't think I care about drivability due to weight although if the differences in power between the SB and BB weren't that different then I would rather it have a better balance of weight! My buddy has a 99 Ram truck with a 360 that he will just give me if I want it. I am amped up right now !!!
Old 08-06-2011, 05:06 PM
The Dude

Last photo:

Where are you going to hide the nitrous? Oh wait that was the late 90s Startus
Anyway is it going to look like this when its done?
http://media.photobucket.com/image/d...g?t=1301428053
Old 08-06-2011, 06:59 PM

Last photo:

Well I went to pick it up and it wasn't exactly as described. It needed alot more than he mentioned and some of the work done was questionable!! I'm pissed. Well I hope to come across another one sometime soon. Maybe a little more complete.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:13 PM
im on a highway to hell

Last journal entry: new wheels and seats
Last photo:

that sucks, but its better to walk away and get something worth it
Old 08-06-2011, 07:57 PM
The Dude

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksrt
Well I went to pick it up and it wasn't exactly as described. It needed alot more than he mentioned and some of the work done was questionable!! I'm pissed. Well I hope to come across another one sometime soon. Maybe a little more complete.
Just keep looking man, you will find one

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.