Buying my first O/A setup - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2005, 05:58 AM
ATA Welding Technology

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Buying my first O/A setup

I just bought a place with a 14 x 18 shop and am going to get an O/A setup for Christmas. I've been looking at some on eBay that go for $85 counting shipping.
NEW Victor Oxy / ACETYLENE Welding Torch / Cutting Kit
What do you think about these?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2005, 08:39 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

,That is a RIP-OFF!! Notice that it heads the ad as "Victor" outfit but later refers to it as Victor "compatible". This is a cheap Chinese knock-off and is a piece of junk. You can get a genuine Victor 100 series for not much more than that and it will last you a life time. I use Victor torches exclusively and have two sets that are thirty years old and these are used regularly, you just will not find a better torch than a Victor. Those cheap imported torches are not only a PITA to maintain but they are down right dangerous! Do your self a favor and look for the genuine article since they are not all that pricey and believe it or not if you look past all the cheap imported junk you can even find a real Victor at Harbor Freight, just make sure it is the real thing and sometimes you will find good deals on them. A good torch is an investment DON"T CUT CORNERS HERE
Old 12-19-2005, 08:54 AM
ATA Welding Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
A good torch is an investment DON"T CUT CORNERS HERE
That's why I am asking. I'll be using it a bit and for quite awhile. I'll check Harbor Freight.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:18 AM

Last photo:

You will be far happier with the real thing because after a while(short while) those imports start to leak around the tip seal and will not stay lit, cutting oxygen control is really bad, regulators that only last a short time and valve knobs that fall off just to name a few problems I have seen with these things. That link kind of ticked me off because it goes to lengths to mislead someone into thinking they are buying a real Victor. It even fraudulently calls it a Victor and then says "not the cheap set" Sorry if I came on a little strong but I really hate to see someone get burned and these people get away with this kind of thing far too often.

Merry Christmas
Old 12-19-2005, 09:20 AM
ATA Welding Technology

There are two setups at Harbor Freight. Both are made by Chicago Electric but neither state wether or not they are Victor compatible. I sure would like to use the Victor tips I already have. Of the two I would be looking more at the first setup. It's on sale too!
HEAVY DUTY GAS WELDING ACCESSORY KIT
and
HEAVY DUTY OXY-ACETYLENE WELDING OUTFIT

Last edited by kringold; 12-19-2005 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:38 AM

Last photo:

Ok I just did a quick search at HF and apparently they no longer have the Victor outfits. They had, for a while anyway, the 100 C set-up but I can't find it on the site now. I don't know much about the ones they have but I am sure they are imports and I would be leery of them.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:33 PM
ATA Welding Technology

I've also seen individual Victor pieces on eBay such as gauges, torches and such and thought about going that route. I will want to be able to have a cutting torch, braze, and the ability to weld cast iron as well when I have everything. Any suggestions on what to look for?
Old 12-19-2005, 04:15 PM

Last photo:

You said you already have some Victor tips? are they cutting tips or welding tips? Victor makes several two piece torches but by far the most common are the 100 C (FC) series using the CA1350 cutting head and the 315 FC series that uses the CA2460 cutting attachment. Both models are common and easy to find parts and accessories for. For anything less than industrial use you can't beat that 100 C outfit since it will easily cut from thin sheet up to 1" plate with the right tips and it is small, light and easy to handle. Both outfits are nearly identical but the 315 is almost twice as big and is meant for bigger jobs. The 100 C is an excellent welding torch with a wide range of tip sizes that will handle about any gas welding job you will likely encounter. If you plan to weld body panels the 000 tip on that 100 C handle works as good as anything I have ever used and a quick change from that little tip to a heating tip(rose bud head) will allow you to heat and bend even heavy pieces. This really is a very versatile set-up.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:52 PM
ATA Welding Technology

I have the 00 and 000 welding tips. What would you choose for regulators?
Old 12-20-2005, 08:47 PM

Last photo:

The Victor 250 series will handle about anything you are likely to run into(assuming you are not going to be cutting something like 4" plate or heavier) Also I would suggest a 90 deg. head on the cutting torch, this is by far the most common but 75 deg. cutting torches are fairly common too it is just that the 90 deg. is a lot more versatile and easier for most people to use.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:47 PM

re: buying o/a setup

And also check out a manufacturer called "uniweld" and "canox" now owned by BOC group, they also have the real deal, I have 2 canox torches, have had them for 20+ years and still going with any problems. I would also stay away from offshore torches.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:08 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Kringold,
Check out Central Welding Supply as they are local to you and carry the Victor torches..they so match online prices and have all the right pieces that you will need..

OMT
Old 12-20-2005, 10:51 PM

Last journal entry: Cooling...
Last photo:

O/a

I concur, Victor through Central Welding, Everett, Lynwood and others. Victor stuff lasts forever. I routinely use WWII era Victor equipment. You might look at used peices. Central can repair old regulators as well. Alot of people pass these up at swap meets and garage sales, but many times you can buy a pretty good regulator for a couple bucks. The old ones are generally worthy of refurb. there are some better torches for welding, but if you only have one outfit, stick with victor.
Good luck, and happy welding
Old 12-22-2005, 05:53 PM

Last journal entry: frame build
Last photo:

I am going to concur. Get the 100 series Victor. They are light weight, compact, reasonably priced and do have tips available from 000 to 6 for cutting (thin sheet to 5"plate). 0000 to 5 foe welding. 6 or 8 rosebudsfor heating. 90, 60 or straight cutting heads and these all interchange with any 100 series. I have used all kinds of torches and weight, balance and versatility of the Victor is unsurpassed. They sell on farm auctions for nearly new price. must be good
Old 12-22-2005, 07:39 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

i got mine on ebay, a Victor, helluva lot cheaper than any of the local guys could get the same set up for. some welding supply outfit with an ebay store. best deal on welders i found too. do a search.

some will recommend the Henrob, I've never used one, can't say one thing either way. But it looks good in the demo's.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.