buying new carbs for my blower motor, what should I get! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2008, 09:08 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

buying new carbs for my blower motor, what should I get!

Absolutely sick of the edelbrocks and am going to drop some $$$ for something nice. The motor is

4 bolt main 350 shortblock stock bottom end but is in great shape
993 casting heads with ported exhaust side 8.6 comp
comp cams xe274 cam (230/236 @.50, .490 lift, 110lsa)
automatic th350 trans with i believe a 2800 stall and shift kit
msd digital 6 plus ignition
weiand 671 blower 12% underdriven now, but will be swapped to 12% overdriven
i also have a wideband a/f gauge for tuning

there are so many options i'm not sure with what to do. I'm thinking about sticking with a vacuum secondary over the mech secondary since the motor will be pulling gas when it needs it based on vacuum, and it would help with gas mileage atleast somewhat.

i guess my options come down to whether to stick with holley or go to speed demon, proform, quickfuel, etc. I don't really see the need for buying the "blower specific carbs" because I can boost reference the power valves myself. I also have 2 new sets of 50cc accel pumps I can put on something if need be.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2008, 09:55 PM
BLOWN 357

Last photo:

Which Carbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkostoj
Absolutely sick of the edelbrocks and am going to drop some $$$ for something nice. The motor is

4 bolt main 350 shortblock stock bottom end but is in great shape
993 casting heads with ported exhaust side 8.6 comp
comp cams xe274 cam (230/236 @.50, .490 lift, 110lsa)
automatic th350 trans with i believe a 2800 stall and shift kit
msd digital 6 plus ignition
weiand 671 blower 12% underdriven now, but will be swapped to 12% overdriven
i also have a wideband a/f gauge for tuning

there are so many options i'm not sure with what to do. I'm thinking about sticking with a vacuum secondary over the mech secondary since the motor will be pulling gas when it needs it based on vacuum, and it would help with gas mileage atleast somewhat.

i guess my options come down to whether to stick with holley or go to speed demon, proform, quickfuel, etc. I don't really see the need for buying the "blower specific carbs" because I can boost reference the power valves myself. I also have 2 new sets of 50cc accel pumps I can put on something if need be.
I am really happy with Holley's carbs.Had a pair of 4150HP 600cfm blower carbs on my 6-71 blown 350,then switched to 8-71 and put a pair of #4779 Holley 750's all with mechanical secondaries.With 12% overdrive your going to need all the fuel you can handle.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:57 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORTI
I am really happy with Holley's carbs.Had a pair of 4150HP 600cfm blower carbs on my 6-71 blown 350,then switched to 8-71 and put a pair of #4779 Holley 750's all with mechanical secondaries.With 12% overdrive your going to need all the fuel you can handle.
what part number were the 600's you had? What was the motor combo and how did it run?
Old 05-06-2008, 10:06 PM
BLOWN 357

Last photo:

Which Carbs

The 600s were Holley 0-80575 and it ran great.350 block .040 over eagle rotating assembly BDS stage three cam 280/292 (232/244@.050) 110 lobe center with .484/.505 lift. top proline aluminum heads Blower Shop 8-71.I run the blower 15% underdriven @ 8lbs of boost.Runs good for the street doesn't run hot,still make 600hp.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:19 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORTI
The 600s were Holley 0-80575 and it ran great.350 block .040 over eagle rotating assembly BDS stage three cam 280/292 (232/244@.050) 110 lobe center with .484/.505 lift. top proline aluminum heads Blower Shop 8-71.I run the blower 15% underdriven @ 8lbs of boost.Runs good for the street doesn't run hot,still make 600hp.
wow those cars are expensive...still got em by any chance?

I was looking for carbs that were between the $400-500 range
Old 05-06-2008, 10:46 PM

Last photo:

I would get a set of Predators.

Jordon
Old 05-07-2008, 06:40 AM
World Class ASE tech

Last photo:

What don't you like about the Edelbrocks? I have 2 of the 1405s on mine and I love them. Did you change all the rods and jets like Edelbrock reccomends for a blower set up?
Old 05-07-2008, 06:43 AM

Last photo:

i knew a guy that ran duel predators on a blown 468 bbc in a 64 chevy panel truck ran 10.80's if i was going to run a blown motor i would take a serious look at the demon blower calibrated carbs. i have heard good things....
Old 05-07-2008, 06:48 AM
World Class ASE tech

Last photo:

I have a Demon on my other car and the Demon is a POS. I would not buy or recomened a Demon to anyone, for anything. Pure JUNK.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:04 AM

Last photo:

you must have a bad one or something. i had one on a 355 in a 63 nova bolted it on adjusted the idle and never had to touch it again.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:44 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Carb favorites, likes and dislikes are always an area of contention here, as 301nova says, you can get a bad apple in the bunch. I've got two BG Mighty Demon 750 BC's on my 8-71 blower motor and couldn't be happier. Many other carbs would be just as good when sized and tuned properly. That's the key to any performance tune, that's a given. I've never owned a Predator, when they came out they were controversial, I think they've proved themselves through the years, they're a whole different animal from the norm.

I can't get to emotional over a carb, not enough to throw out the 'POS' card, but would certainly pass on information about the bad and good experiences.
RPM doesn't explain his dissatisfaction, I'm curious what the problems are.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 05-07-2008, 08:50 AM
BLOWN 357

Last photo:

600 cfm carbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkostoj
wow those cars are expensive...still got em by any chance?

I was looking for carbs that were between the $400-500 range
As we speak they are on EBAY with no reserve and the current bid is $355 and the auction ends in 1 more day.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:09 PM
World Class ASE tech

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68NovaSS
Carb favorites, likes and dislikes are always an area of contention here, as 301nova says, you can get a bad apple in the bunch. I've got two BG Mighty Demon 750 BC's on my 8-71 blower motor and couldn't be happier. Many other carbs would be just as good when sized and tuned properly. That's the key to any performance tune, that's a given. I've never owned a Predator, when they came out they were controversial, I think they've proved themselves through the years, they're a whole different animal from the norm.

I can't get to emotional over a carb, not enough to throw out the 'POS' card, but would certainly pass on information about the bad and good experiences.
RPM doesn't explain his dissatisfaction, I'm curious what the problems are.
Bought the Demon and installed it on a new 383 stroker, ran just fine for about 2 months. Coming back from a show late at night the cars starts to miss fire pretty bad and was only about 3 miles from home so I just drove it on. Any way the carb is now running so rich that raw fuel is running out the right side header. Figure I got a stuck float, so I look down the carb and no fuel dripping. So I called BG talked to a tech and was told to check all kinds of stuff. It all checked out OK. So I called them back ( over a period of a few days) got a different tech, same old stuff check, check check. Finally took the carb all the way down and found the problem. Seems BG left a plug out of the base of this carb, and over a period of 2 months it finally sucked a hole in the metering plate base gasket. This big hole was dumping all the fuel under the butterflies and could not be seen. So I called BG back 3rd time and explained what I found. Tech says oh yea we have had quite a few of them, someone on the line was forgetting to install the plug. Said if I paid the freight both ways the would be happy to install a plug. I said what about this new motor that has cylinders washed down and need to come back apart and be fixed. Nope the warranty does not cover that. So I just fixed it all myself and put it back together, runs fine now. The pictures are in my gallery if you want to look at them. So now you know why I say BG is a POS.

If you look at some of the other threads on my problem with BG you will notice that the BG rep will not talk about this carb or even address it!
Old 05-07-2008, 04:13 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM
Bought the Demon and installed it on a new 383 stroker, ran just fine for about 2 months. Coming back from a show late at night the cars starts to miss fire pretty bad and was only about 3 miles from home so I just drove it on. Any way the carb is now running so rich that raw fuel is running out the right side header. Figure I got a stuck float, so I look down the carb and no fuel dripping. So I called BG talked to a tech and was told to check all kinds of stuff. It all checked out OK. So I called them back ( over a period of a few days) got a different tech, same old stuff check, check check. Finally took the carb all the way down and found the problem. Seems BG left a plug out of the base of this carb, and over a period of 2 months it finally sucked a hole in the metering plate base gasket. This big hole was dumping all the fuel under the butterflies and could not be seen. So I called BG back 3rd time and explained what I found. Tech says oh yea we have had quite a few of them, someone on the line was forgetting to install the plug. Said if I paid the freight both ways the would be happy to install a plug. I said what about this new motor that has cylinders washed down and need to come back apart and be fixed. Nope the warranty does not cover that. So I just fixed it all myself and put it back together, runs fine now. The pictures are in my gallery if you want to look at them. So now you know why I say BG is a POS.

If you look at some of the other threads on my problem with BG you will notice that the BG rep will not talk about this carb or even address it!
this isnt the first time ive heard problems with the bg quality control.

Does anybody have any input on whether I should go with a vacumm or mech secondary carb? I'm debating on getting the 600cfm holley blower carbs that are mech secondary
Old 05-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

There is a guy who sells on Ebay, LStahle I think is his user name. He has very high quality rebuilt blower calibrated carbs for about 1/2 the price of new. They are all boost referenced and he has good tech support. I have personally purchased a couple carbs from him and have sent several others and everyone was happy with his products.

CHet

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.