Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Buying a new set of points
View Single Post
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 06-22-2011, 09:21 PM
cobalt327's Avatar
cobalt327 cobalt327 is offline
Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,031
Wiki Edits: 1616

Thanks: 128
Thanked 616 Times in 565 Posts
Originally Posted by C-10
What to do, what to do....

Well I have NO problem ditching the points in this dump truck. Zero sentimental value... The fact that it has no tilt nose my sway my decision. The thing is a real SOB to work on under the hood.

The distributor has this 1/4 inch line that runs to the carb, possibly vacuum or pressure for the governor'd Holley.

I tore down the carb mentioned in this thread:
Holley Carb GMC truck List 6929 info needed

It's a pretty complex little booger. It appears to have an OIL capacity on the topside of 2 of the 3 diaphragms. Strange....

If anybody has messed with these or knows how the hell it works, please post up.

Here's what I may do. I have a nice gently used Holley 3310 750 on the shelf. Also I have a spare HEI that will need a going through. I might just get a rev limiter module for the HEI and bolt on the 3310 and call it 'good'.. What do you guys think?
I've never worked on that Holley. But using a different carb sounds like a good idea to me. The governed carbs are a PITA from the get-go, and were used to keep non-owner operators from abusing them. If you just stay mindful of the redline of the engine, you don't even need a rev limiter.

If you are the worrying sort, use a tach w/a shift light or even a shift light alone to let you know when to grab a gear.

The 3310 carb will only give you what the engine demands (vacuum secondary) so being "too big" isn't a problem- even on your "industrial" TD 427.

The HEI distributor is another matter. The TD block takes a longer distributor than a 'normal' SBC or BBC engine. There are aftermarket HEI distributors that will work fine, though. Or you can add an electronic points replacement that uses the original distributor.

Last edited by cobalt327; 06-22-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Reply With Quote