Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Buying a new set of points
View Single Post
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 06-23-2011, 09:32 AM
blue54's Avatar
blue54 blue54 is offline
Registered User
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Graham, Washington
Age: 62
Posts: 46
Wiki Edits: 1

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cobalt327
I've never worked on that Holley. But using a different carb sounds like a good idea to me. The governed carbs are a PITA from the get-go, and were used to keep non-owner operators from abusing them. If you just stay mindful of the redline of the engine, you don't even need a rev limiter.

If you are the worrying sort, use a tach w/a shift light or even a shift light alone to let you know when to grab a gear.

The 3310 carb will only give you what the engine demands (vacuum secondary) so being "too big" isn't a problem- even on your "industrial" TD 427.

The HEI distributor is another matter. The TD block takes a longer distributor than a 'normal' SBC or BBC engine. There are aftermarket HEI distributors that will work fine, though. Or you can add an electronic points replacement that uses the original distributor.
I agree with everything above excepth the carb size. Even though the vacuum secondaries will not open until needed and unly as much as needed the primarys are larger than a 600 and as such will not deliver the throttle response that the smaller primarys will.
Reply With Quote