Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Electrical (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/electrical/)
-   -   Buying a new set of points (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/buying-new-set-points-200475.html)

C-10 06-17-2011 01:29 AM

Buying a new set of points

In all honesty, I'm AFRAID of what the 'McParts stores' might try and sell me nowadays... It's been way too long since I have even bought a set of points.

I need them for my ol' dump truck- a '75 GMC 6500 with a tall deck 427. I have the ol dwell meter handy... so..

Where might one find a quality USA made set of points that can be trusted?

blue54 06-17-2011 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-10
In all honesty, I'm AFRAID of what the 'McParts stores' might try and sell me nowadays... It's been way too long since I have even bought a set of points.

I need them for my ol' dump truck- a '75 GMC 6500 with a tall deck 427. I have the ol dwell meter handy... so..

Where might one find a quality USA made set of points that can be trusted?

Should be able to get Echlin at NAPA or Accel brand where they sell hot rod parts. Their still made in USA.

sqzbox 06-17-2011 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue54
Should be able to get Echlin at NAPA or Accel brand where they sell hot rod parts. Their still made in USA.

X2 on that^^^. Napa should have it or can get it. Don't forget the condenser also. :mwink:

cobalt327 06-17-2011 05:04 AM

Uniset, but at least the price is better than most- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/STAND...item23118443b8

matt167 06-17-2011 08:07 AM

Rockauto still sells Blue Streaks. It's all I'v ever used

cranky1 06-17-2011 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt167
Rockauto still sells Blue Streaks. It's all I'v ever used

Same here....

ogre 06-17-2011 09:35 AM

who uses points anymore?
buy a pertronics for that truck and never buy points again

MouseFink 06-17-2011 01:13 PM

Say bye-bye to the dwell

Quote:

Originally Posted by ogre
who uses points anymore?
buy a pertronics for that truck and never buy points again

If your distributor is in good shape, with no wobble in the breaker plate and no excessive thrust in the distributor shaft, a Pertonix kit is the only way to fly. You will not have to stand on your head setting the dwell every few weeks.

The best available points are NAPA Gold (Echlin) because have a 38 oz spring to prevent point bounce at high RPM. They are just like the old ACDelco D112P points that worked so well in the high performance SB & BB Chevy engines with point type ignition systems until they were finally discontinued in 1985, but they required frequent dwell adjustments. The good ACDelco D112P points were replaced by ACDelco D106P which are nothing but junk, have an 18 oz. spring and are made by Mexicans.

cobalt327 06-17-2011 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MouseFink
...and are made by Mexicans.

You 'say' that like there is something inherently wrong w/a Mexican. I will submit that the problem is in the materials the part is manufactured from- not the nationality of the labor force assembleing them. I will refrain from accusing you of being a racist pos.

cranky1 06-19-2011 03:19 PM

There are several that run points on unrestored cars or want to stay 'completely' original and doing a tuneup isn't hard. If you're not running high rpm, don't use the points with the high spring rate then you won't have to dwell it so often. The high spring rate 'anti bounce' points wears the rubbing block faster. My tuneups lasted well over a year on my daily driver 66 Belvedere. Part of that was 'over' tuning or setting the points a little wide and gaping the plugs a little tight and letting the tune drive in and used good parts. I don't mind doing a tuneup actually....plus I don't have to carry spare pickups, ECM's and the like.

C-10 06-19-2011 03:50 PM

Yeah the reason for even messing with points is because this truck has the governor setup. It's got that funky Holley carb that is plumbed to the point type distributor. They work in conjunction to govern engine revs. Common on the medium duty GM's.

Usually an HEI swap would do the trick, but I'd like to keep the governor intact. :cool:

The pertronics deal is a neat piece.

Curious, is the Blue Streak points known by any other brand? Can't find them on Rock Auto..

eloc431962 06-19-2011 03:56 PM

Pertronixs i have used them a few times and they are a pretty good investment IMHO and you can still keep a set of points around just in case and swap right back no problem.JMO

Cole

cranky1 06-19-2011 04:03 PM

IIRC, Standard Motor Products make them....

matt167 06-20-2011 02:00 AM

Yep. Standard motor products, Blue Streak line

willowbilly3 06-20-2011 04:30 AM

Points distributors will tend to wear the bushings faster than an electronic unit due to side loading from the spring, which is accelerated with the high performance points like the Echlin Gold ( which is all I used back in the day).
I have noticed the quality of points seems to have deteriorated in the last couple decades. All of them I have installed in the last few years practically go closed in the first 500-1000 miles due to the crappy material in the rubbing block. After the get run in and reset they seem to last ok. The last vehicle I had with them got a petronix, best move I made.