Buying a new sewing machine - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2010, 01:57 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Buying a new sewing machine

I want to thank all of you, the information you provide is so very helpful. I have been reading all your posts about different upholstery machines and the Adler was mentioned. I would like to know which Adler machine you would recommend. If money wasn't an issue would you recommend more than one machine from Adler, Pfaff or Consew for the different types of interior work?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2010, 02:06 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Any of those brands of machine should do almost anything you can imagine as far as a car interior goes. If you get a compound feed walking foot machine you'll be all set.

As far as Adler machines go, I would look for models 67, 68, 167, and 267. Those are all walking foot machines.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:19 PM

Sewing Machine Models

Thank you. Well at least I've at least narrowed it down because of your posts. I noticed no one talked about the Adler specifics, model # etc. Does anyone have one?
Old 05-04-2010, 10:16 PM

Machines I am looking to buy

Dantwolakes, Hello. I am looking to buy a new 206RBL 25" Consew and a 339RB 1/4" Consew. What are your opinions on these? Please, I trust you.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:15 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I have two Consews, a 226 and a 255 RB3. I am happy with both of them. They are Chevrolets. Adler, Pfaff, and Juki are higher quality but more expensive. Consew is made by Seiko, but I have heard that the regular Consew 206 is now made in China instead of Japan and is not as good as the older ones. The guy that services my machines who is also a Consew dealer told me this, so I believe him. The 206 RBL25 is a heavy duty 25" long arm machine. This would have limited uses in auto upholstery, but when you did need it, it would be great to have. I have a Singer 144 20" long arm machine that is great for certain things. I would not want to use it as my main machine every day. Having to reach over all day to turn the wheel would be a big hassle.

The Consew 339 RB4 is a compound feed walking foot machine that is a lot like my Consew 255RB3. They both have large bobbins and are self oiling. The 339 comes in a double needle version that would be good if you were going to do marine canvas work. Most places would only use a double needle machine for specific repetitive situations, like topstitching seams on boat covers. There are very few things a double needle machine would be good for if you're doing auto interiors. I certainly wouldn't pay the extra money for a double needle machine unless I would be using it all the time.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 05-05-2010 at 12:28 AM.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:08 PM

Last photo:

Dan, can machines like the 339RB-4 be used with a single needle for all the other sewing needs for auto upholstery? Im looking at one for $1000 as my first machine.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:43 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

You could use the 339 with just one needle for flat stitching, but I don't know if you can get a welt foot or other feet for it. Other than that, it is a compound feed, walking foot machine. If push came to shove, you could have it converted to just single needle use, but I don't know how much that would cost.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:53 PM

Need help with buying an industrial sewing machine

Hi all,

Please excuse me I am posting wrong, I'm somewhat new to posting to this site. I need some help with buying an industrial sewing machine. I'm a one person business where I make and sell professional decorative pillows and hand bags out of home upholstery fabrics, canvas/ duct cloth, leather, and fleece interfacing with zipper closures. What type of machine would you recommend I get? I would really like a machine where I can sew with these materials as well as, sew in my zippers.

I have been told that I should get a walking foot machine with a servo motor. I have also been guided towards a new Seiko STH-8BLD-3 for $1250 plus $100 to add the servo motor, and $100 to buy the left and right zipper feet to make it a total of $1450. If you scroll down between half way and 3/4 of the page you can see the details of this machine at this link http://www.miamisewing.com/specials/canvas.htm Is this what I should be getting and is this a good price?

They also have a Juki DNU1541 for $1300 I'm not sure if there's extra for the servo motor for this one and assume that the left and right zipper feet are total of $100 as well. Is this what I should be getting and is this a good price?
If you scroll sown about 1/4 way down the page you can see the details of this Juke 1541 at this link http://www.miamisewing.com/specials/canvas.htm

I was already to go down to this store this thursday... June 23, 2011.. to test out the Seiko with a servo motor, but I have some concerns about the store and if they are selling me the right equipment. A DIFFERENT store that I talked to said that the Juki 1541 is a better machine, BUT I should be getting the Juki 1541(S) with the clutch AND servo motor together. I was under the impression that it was an either or situation, not both. Can anyone clarify this for me.

Help I don't understand, every store that I have talked to gives me different information and which machine I should be getting and which motor! Can anyone recommend exactly what I should be getting and who's reliable to buy it from. I seem to be going around and around with used car salesmen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jacque
Old 06-20-2011, 07:16 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Absolutely. Whoever told you you needed a clutch and servo motor is an idiot. It is an either or situation, you only need one power source. The servo motors that are packaged with new sewing machines are not the best motors you can buy, they are the minimum quality to provide the most profit to whoevr sells you the machine. The Seiko (who make Consew sewing machine as well)and the Juki are both good machines, but if you spend more than $50.00 for both the left and right zipper feet you have been cheated. CLICK HERE

If I were you, I'd find a good, used Singer 111W clone and put a good servo motor on it like the Reliable Sewquiet 4000. This will cost you more, $179 with free shipping online, but it will be well worth it. There are many clones of the Singer 111W, including Consew, Artisan, Brother, Juki, Seiko, Mitsubishi, and many others. In this economy, you will find a terrific bargain if you are patient. Even a home sewing machine will work O.K. for what you want to do, but in the long run, an industrial machine will probably give you less problems.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:29 PM

I might be new to industrial machines, but I thought this person was either an idiot or thinking I was an idiot in that I would pay for both servo motor and clutch. It was easier buying my used car than it has been to deal with these guys.

I've been searching for the singer 111w clones that you mentioned, but not getting a straight answer on this online. Am I in the right direction when I look at Consew 206RB as one of the clones. I found one used in my area (Orlando FL) for $1200 with a clutch motor, but that seemed high to me. If I bought used I was thinking more around $650 so I could change out the motor to the servo 4000 that you suggested Dan.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

It depends on whether you buy it from a private party or a dealer. Naturally you will pay more for a machine from a dealer, but the machine should also be in perfect working order. $1200 is a lot for a used 206. That machine is not an exact clone of the 111W, but it is very close and would work fine for you, but it should be more like $800 from a dealer. If you find a used 111W clone for $650 with a table and motor, it would be a good price and then adding the servo motor you would be at about $825.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:20 AM

I found a rebuilt Singer 111W155 for $600 and a rebuilt Singer 111W155-7 for $650, both look like they have the clutch motor so I would have to change that out. Both are from a reputable dealer who rebuilt the machines. Are these good deals or should I stick with buying the Seiko STH-8BLD-3 from the same dealer for $1250?
Old 06-22-2011, 10:03 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Those are both good machines at good prices. If either of them has reverse, go with the one with reverse.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.