buying paint, and patching holes? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2003, 07:52 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Smile buying paint, and patching holes?

This summer im going to save up some money to buy some paint, i am looking for a kandy coat green, with metal flakes. were is a good place to order some paint from, me and my brother are going to do the paint ourselves. i also need to know how to patch holes, if there is a good website with pictures, that would be nice. thanks for all your help.

[ March 12, 2003: Message edited by: chevyman17 ]</p>

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2003, 02:35 PM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

Candy is nothing for ametures. You have to have exsperience painting before you start with candies. There are alot of do's and don'ts and things to avoid with candies. Candies can be purchased from your local paint shop. If you don't know where one is ask a local bodyshop where they get theirs.

What size are the holes? Where are they? What model and make of vehicle is it? Let me know and I'd be happy to help.

HK

[ March 12, 2003: Message edited by: Halloweenking ]</p>
Old 03-12-2003, 06:21 PM

I would definitly agree with HK. Candy colors are not for the inexperienced painter. I would find a green that is as close a possible to the green you what but in a bc/cc. Then you could add the metallic flakes in a midcoat or in your clear.
Old 03-13-2003, 07:23 AM

The truck i have is a 1969 chevy pickup. the holes im going to try to patch are the three holes on the side of the door, were the mirrors were, i have peep mirrors now. the holes are only about a 1/4 of an inch big, there not very big. and besides a kandy green, is the original color, that would be a green also, i dont know exactly what color it is, but it has some metallic in it. oh ya befor i forget, i am also going to take the trim off the side, and make it a smooth body. i hope that helps you out some.
Old 03-13-2003, 01:47 PM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

No car manufacturer uses candy as a original color. Ford has a paint that is the closest to a candy you can get, but I think its only be used for 8-10 years. The color of your truck originally isn't a candy, its simply a transparent green BC/CC. Candy may have been used as a custom repaint before you got it,but its not original. Like I said if you really plan to use candy get a profesional shop to paint it.

To fill holes like that all you need to do is back the hole with a peice of copper and fill the holes with your MIG welder. do some metal finishing and apply a coat of etchin primer then smooth for the final prime and paint.

HK
Old 03-13-2003, 04:13 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

Yes, I agree with HK those hole need to be welded in. You can find the copper in sheets at the craft stores. I don't know if the paint supply store has it. You will somehow need to push the copper sheet onto the hole from the back and shore it in place/ make it so it dosn't move when you strike an arc with the welder. Clean up that hole and remove ALL the rust before hand.

Todd
Old 03-13-2003, 07:22 PM
Murderator

Last journal entry: Brackets, Stories and the future
Last photo:

I'm glad someone else brought up the idea of filling holes. I think I'm ready to undertake this chore...hoping this thread isn't abandoned yet.

When you use copper to fill a hole...the copper isn't welded in place? It's just kind of a cushion?

Also, how big of a hole can you fill using this method? My particular application is a 1957 chevy pickup--the holes to mount the emblems on the fenders...maybe 1/2 inch in diameter...too big to fill like this?

Plug weld? Could you use a piece of metal that is a little bigger than the hole, put it on the backside, and do a plug weld and maybe feed some more wire into it to fill?

Lastly...does anyone have any suggestions for what the welder should be set at for this type of stuff? Just a general idea so I don't spend a week trying to figure it out.

thanks--
Old 03-14-2003, 05:54 AM

Thanks for all the input, i did not mean candy as an original color, i meant candy, or the original. i geuss i should of worded it better huh. well thanks again, peace....

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.