buying a used paint booth - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2012, 02:45 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

buying a used paint booth

i came across a body shop that looks to be closing down, i stopped and asked if they had anything for sale since i am a hobby body guy i ended up buying some stands one of those racks that puts tape on the paper and a couple other little things. they had a semi down draft paint booth i couldn't see any markings as far as brand, they had several extra filters coming with it it has all the lighting fans etc they told me 5k for it the reason i really liked it as because of the size it was 15'x24' and was about 10ft tall in the inside they told me they did a lot of drw trucks with lift kits and such me personally ive never seen one that size he told me it cost almost 20k about 15 years ago ill see if can go by again next week to take some pictures. i wanted to get ever ones opinion i have a warehouse that i keep my equipment at to set it up at. roughly what are these worth is it something i should even consider getting used?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2012, 03:00 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

For 5k you cannot match that if you consider getting the fans/lites and all the rest of it..I would say go for it if you have the place to set it up at..

Sam
Old 08-27-2012, 03:14 PM

Last photo:

that's exactly what i was thinking ill keep every one updated, ill be calling them first thing tomorrow to see if we can set something up
Old 08-27-2012, 08:40 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,025 Posts
Don't pay too much, the resale on equipment like that is VERY low. The reason being it is outdated for one, the other is a new one is easily financed. Because you can borrow money so easily to buy a new ones, the manufacturer will do ANYTHING for you to buy a new one, the used ones have a VERY low resale value.

Ask me how I know.

Brian
Old 08-27-2012, 09:02 PM

Last photo:

do you think asking price is fair for a booth of that age?
Old 08-27-2012, 09:11 PM

Last photo:

Honestly, I don't know what it's worth. All I know is used equipment like that is VERY difficult to get rid of. Either he leaves it there, or he disassembles it and stores it at his house in the back yard! If he has half a head on his shoulders he would let you take it for $500! Even though it's worth more, it is such a HUGE ball and chain, like I say, unless he is too stubborn to come in out of the rain, he would let you have it for much less.

Brian
Old 08-28-2012, 08:11 AM

Last photo:

I agree with Brain, don't pay too much more than scrape weight value.

Who is going to clean it up, dismantle it, move it , re-assemble it?

" they had a semi down draft paint booth i couldn't see any markings as far as brand,"

You had better bring along a licensed electrician when you pull it down because you need him to wire it back up. Yes, you'll pay him twice.

Is your building permitted for a spray booth, will you need a city stack permit for the exhaust? Do you have the electrical service to handle this?

Are you ready for the building inspector, fire inspector, OSHA, labor & industries inspectors? ALL govt. workers ARE revenue collectors, are you sure you want to do this?

Are you really, really sure you don't want to buy a brand new booth installed by pros? Do you really need the expense?

Sorry to rain on your parade.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:27 AM

Last photo:

Yep, there are SERIOUS guidelines about putting up booths in most cities. Around here, it is damn tough. I don't believe in my city (about 300k population) I don't believe you could even legally set up a new one, you could use an existing one but they aren't allowing any new ones.

Yes, as I was telling jsm1847 on his mobile spray booth thread, DO YOUR HOMEWORK!

Brian
Old 08-28-2012, 08:29 AM

Last photo:

If it has no name on it, it may be home built and not even be legal!

Brian
Old 08-28-2012, 08:50 AM

Last photo:

Agree with Brian but let me add some more.
First that is way to much money and you may disagree with me but once you take it down and before you have it together, you will agree with me.
four or five people five days Minimum to take down and out up and only if they bust there arse and are good workers.

Also there are a number of manufacturers that have new semi down drafts for 6-8,000.

I have a friend that a year ago bought TWO sacio down draft baking booths 8 years old from a Lexus dealer, I told him the $10,000 was no deal, well a year later and last I heard another $30,000 and as of last week they still were not usable by fire code. Things change and the required updates are killing him and we are not in that strict of a county, nothing like SanFran.

Buyer beware.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:34 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

it is a lot of work to move a simple sheet metal booth, insulated/heated booths are a royal pain.
i have the pleasure of installing both for different friends, the wiring and interlocks can be tricky if you don't know what your doing.
chances are the booth controls are 220 or 440 3 phase, unless you have 3 phase power, nothing will work.
around here it was over $1000 just for the permits and over $4000 for the fire suppression
it's worth how ever much you think it is, if they don't sell them they will have to pay someone to remove them.
i'd step in as the low bid removal contractor and charge them to take it off their hands
Old 08-28-2012, 04:18 PM

Last photo:

you guys are giving me good reasons not to go for it, im starting to think im better just painting in the warehouse as i have been doing or renting a booth when i need to use one. i dont work out of the warehouse i do welding and hydraulic service onsite so pretty much just have a rack full of steel plenty of bottles of oxy/acy my welder/gen and my forklift and honestly i still have a butt ton more space total is about 1600 sq ft. when i painted my truck mustang and other things i have a 2x4 frame with filters that i put under the roll up door and a fan with an explosion resistant motor pointing up at the extractor on the roof. i figured if i could get a booth it would work for several things one i could rent it it to friends and conveniently have it there for me since space really isn't an issue. but i guess no booth for me if i have to deal with so many things just for a hobby. thanks guys for the responses
Old 08-28-2012, 04:45 PM

Last photo:

way to much money imho too.

Automotive Paint Booths - Spray Paint Booths, Industrial Paint Booths

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.