Buying a welder from Craigs list - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2010, 09:09 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Buying a welder from Craigs list

Okay as a novice to welding am I asking for trouble by trying to buy a welder off of Craigslist ? If I could score a Miller, Hobart ,or Lincoln is there something I should look for when buying from someone?. Of course beyond the obvious that the welder actually works.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2010, 09:12 AM

Last photo:

I would want to try the welder first and try different settings. See what comes with it. If a bottle of gas comes with it, make sure it is not a rental or lease actually. Ask for paperwork proving they own the bottle. Make sure your LWS will fill the tank.

I personally would not have a problem buying a used name brand welder on CL.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:33 PM
Farm equip wasnt meant to fly

Last photo:

I would buy a welder off CL if I tested it and it worked, and it was a good deal. I would be wary of anything that seems like a great deal but it has been on CL for a while. That usually means that several people have checked it out and passed on it.

If you do find one that interests you, it might pay you to do some research before buying. Check "completed listings" on ebay and search some kind of nationwide CL site like crazedlist.org to see what the welder is selling for used.

A google search for the welder make/model and the word "problem" can help highlight any problems people have had with them.

If I still needed more info, I would ask questions on welding sites.

Of course, if it really is a great CL deal, somebody might have it bought and home before you finish all your research. So work fast.

AFA getting a gas bottle with a welder, I know my local Airgas WS doesnt care where a gas bottle came from, or even what WS name is on it. As long as its a 150 CF bottle (about 3 ft tall) or smaller for high press gas, or AC 4 (about 2.5 ft tall) or smaller for acetylene, they will swap it for a full one and you just pay for the gas. If the bottle is bigger than 150 CF or an AC 4, they will still swap it, but they require you to have a business account with them before they will swap it for you.

As a side note, gas bottles are kind of expensive, upwards of 200.00 to buy a 150 CF bottle IIRC. Just keep that in mind if you can get a gas bottle thrown in with a welder or a set of oxy/acet bottles thrown in with a torch.

Mike
Old 06-20-2010, 12:21 PM

Last photo:

Before buying a used welder, or any other piece of equipment it is very helpfull to spend about an hour doing a google search on that equipment's manufacturer, the device, and the model number.

I purchased a used welder a couple of years ago on Craig's List for a song that appeared to work well when I went to look at it.

When I got it home it was plain to see it needed some internal work and had a manufacturer's defect that was well known and widely reported.

It works fine for up to five minutes, and then it fails or welds poorly.

The spool is not 100% reliable.

The regulator worked well, so I put that on my old welder and went back to work with it.

I have parts to repair the 175 I purchased now, but my total cost involved is a lot more than I originally wanted to pay and I would have been better off buying a new welder or at least a better piece of used or rebuilt equipment.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:20 PM
Spa Mercenary

Last journal entry: Updates July 2012
Last photo:

I bought a Hobart 140 off CList and once I got it home I made a couple of adjustments - the PO had the ground wired wrong for gas use - he had it rigged for flux core wire. Next I discovered he had the wire feed drive roller on backwards (for smaller wire).

After those two adjustments it has worked great and I can't believe how much better MIG welding is than stick.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:03 AM
HR VIOLATION

Last photo:

I bought my hobart 140 off ebay several years ago. It's been solid as a rock. I use flux core for ease of use but it did come with the gas hookups.. Some of the cheaper MIG's only allow flux core wire and I would stay away from them in case you want to weld something requiring shielding gas some day (stainless steel, aluminum etc).
Old 06-22-2010, 10:46 AM
boatbob2

Craigs List Welders.......

HI,TEST the welder on all settings BEFORE you buy it. i have bought 3 welders off E BAY. (over the last 14 years) all work great,Check the sellers FEEDBACK ,BEFORE buying. check for returnability,AND WARRANTY if its a new machine. stay away from brands youre not familiar with., if,you plan to weld thicker materials,only buy 220 volt machines,if its set up for MIG welding (with gas) make sure you get the regulators and liner for the gun.,LINCOLN, HOBART,and MILLER,, are top brands. (not necessarily in order of relibility)

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.