BW t-10 rebuild - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2011, 12:31 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

BW t-10 rebuild

im rebuilding a BW t-10 to go behind a pretty radical stroker small block and im not having any luck sourcing new upgrade parts. is it possible to put bigget input and tail shafts, like in the super t-10 in the unit im building? thanks guys

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2011, 12:51 PM

Last photo:

aAnything is possible. My company is one source for T10 parts. The following applies to ANY source though.

The T10 was made for so long (Since 1957) that you cant just start field stripping it and replace parts. Tell us what you have and what you're looking to replace and most importantly what youre going to do with this trans. It may end up being more feasible to sell it and buy a new Richmond T10

Or a Muncie :-D
Old 02-09-2011, 12:54 PM

tranny is going in a 67 firebird that im gonna road race/street drive. i got the tranny real cheap and have read that you can get lightened t-10 gears for about 100 a pop. im just wondering if its possible to put bigger shafts, like the ones in the super version, in my box. tryin to do a budget racer/rod project
Old 02-09-2011, 01:00 PM

Last photo:

opening cases up for the 1" pin (at least in the muncie world) goes roughly 200 bucks, Id avoid the 9310 stuff because it doesnt like heat cycles and longevity can be a concern. What I would do is use the best quality synchronizers available and pick a gearset that you want. Theres a zillion T10 ratios.

Its all been done before but by the time you get the lightweight gears and they exit the party after a year or 2...I doubt its going to be 'budget' anymore. I'll bounce this off my chief engineer; he had some italian T10 parts made back in the 90s. I suspect youre still going to be in this for 1000 bucks or more
Old 02-09-2011, 01:04 PM

so leave the shafts alone, pick a new set of gears and just stick it back togather? motor should push about 650 crank hp
Old 02-09-2011, 01:22 PM

Last photo:

If you don't launch the car hard with really sticky tires and a triple disc clutch; it will last awhile. If you put sticky tires on the back and a really agressive clutch...650 will break...something. You need to have a buffer in the driveline 'system' to soften the shockload you're going to create on a hard launch. If this is more roadrace and street DRIVING than sidestep the clutch at 5krpm....it'll live for awhile
I have a lot of customers that use saginaw 3spds behind big motors in roundy round racing. The trick is to not apply power until you're in high gear and shift like my grandmother. You dont have that option realistically, but without a dragstrip launch you'll have some sustainability.

There is a roadracing gearset available for the 'Muncie' its a super close ratio and does really good with 3.73s to 4.11s or higher. An all new trans is 2grand and can easily take what you're throwing at it. I can turn you on to some T10 guys, if you want.

So, use a soft hitting clutch and something other than an all out race tire and you'll be okay till you miss a shift. Save your money for a richmond t10 or a supercase muncie
Old 02-09-2011, 01:27 PM

i alread have the tranny so thats locked in. i just need to pick a ratio then i guess, where should i look?
Old 02-09-2011, 01:34 PM

Last photo:

Where are you located?
Old 02-09-2011, 01:37 PM

im in New Hampshire and boston, depending on the month. Im not saying i know best, i would just like to get this thing closer to the road at this point and the funds just arnt there for a great tranny
Old 02-09-2011, 02:02 PM

Last photo:

PM sent (10 characters)

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.