Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Bycast leather?
Thread: Bycast leather?
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2011, 07:51 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

A yard of fabric that comes in a roll is 13.5 square feet. I would guess 8 to 10 yards would do it easily, so 108 to 135 square feet.

Be really careful what you buy, re-cast or by-cast leather is sold by the running yard, which is 36" by 54" or 3 ft. by 4 1/2 ft.

They may be trying to make you believe what you're buying is real leather, which is not the case. The face of this stuff is 100% polyurethane, which is what Ultraleather is made of. The backing is 18 to 20% real leather which has been ground up and processed into a backing material. You really need to see what you're getting before you buy it.

I see they are selling it on E-Bay for $1 a square foot, but it is in small pieces like 17 to 24 sq. ft. What you will get is pieces that are a little over 1 yard up to a 1 3/4 yards. That's not very useful for large pieces. If you buy this, you will need a lot more of than 10 yards worth than if you just buy what you need all in one long piece. I strongly urge you to buy from a reputable source.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 12-20-2011 at 08:04 AM.