Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - C-4 shifting troubles
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2007, 10:10 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by haley72
I own a 72 Comet with a 302 and a C4 tranny. I built a high hp 302 for it. I just last night got the car back from the tech. I had him install a Hurst V_Matic floor shifter. He says the linkage is hooked up right. My issue is that the car will not shift into 3rd gear. It shifts into 2nd easily. When it gets to 3rd however, it acts like its in neutral. I rev on it and nothing happens. Theres nothing behind the throttle. If I let up on it and let the rpm come down, it kinda "clunks" really soft and I can feel the drive train again. I got a electric ignition for it. Its the kind that just drops right into the dist. all you have to do is set the rev limiter. I don't know what that was set at. You think maybe its set too low? I tried everything I could think of. I played around with different vacuum ports for the vacuum modulator, I checked the fluid. I put in a product called Lube Guard, its supposed to loosen up stuck valves and stuff like that. It didn't work either. The car has been sitting for little over a year. I don't know if something isn't hooked up right or what. Any suggestions?

trans needs full manifold vacuum from the carb.

Does Reverse works correctly? Holds good?

Check the vacuum modulator hose at the modulator. Pull hose off , check for fluid drips from the modulator. Fluid dripping from the mod is bad.

Ignition timing on the engine does not really affect shift timing of the tranny much. Unless the engine is running very poorly