Hot Rod Forum banner

c-4 transmission

908 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  chrisflock 
#1 · (Edited)
I just installed a fresh engine and transmission into my 86 mustang. The engine runs great, here's the problem. The transmission is binding up. When I let off the gas the rear tires stop. When I put it in reverse the wheels turn slightly, then stop. There is smoke coming out of the dipstick tube, and the fluid smells burnt. I checked the band adjustment, and set them at 1 1/2 turns out. This is with the car on a rack. Haven't drove it. It wil shift 1st to 2nd. What could be binding up to cause this?

#4 ·
Well now professor without knowing what you have done to the transmission or how it was done it is impossible to tell what you F'd up.
Clutches could be binding.
Thrust washers out of position.
Improper assembly.
If the fluid is smoking and the vehicle is binding up you did something wrong.
What else can be said?
Remove the transmission.

#5 ·
Stu, I pilled it this evening and took it back to the man who built it. So, unless I busted the pump (which I didn't, It was pumping fluid) I didn't mess anything up. I was just curious what could be bound up causing this thing to bind up. (today it was bound up even in park) No offense, but I was looking for opinions, not wise remarks. My knowledge of transmissions is limited enough that I don't know what could be going on to cause this.

Thanks for coming out and playing ball.

#7 ·
goatboy,

there so many things that can cuase a bind up on any tranny , it is impossible to offer more insight than stu did.....

Pull the pan and valve body first.

If the fluid is burned...pull the tranny out and apart.

flush the tranny cooling system as stu advises when you reinstall the tranny

#8 ·
thanks guys. I know it needs to come apart, I was just curious what could be binding the darned thing up. It was lurching even in park before I pulled it. I took it back to the builder, he is going to go through it. I would have liked to do this myself, but seeing as how it is a fresh unit, I figured it would be wise to use my warranty. I wonder if he will really tell me what was going on. Or just feed me a line of crap.

#9 ·
be prepared for a line of crap.

No matter what he did wrong, he's probably not going to admit it.

My brother had a t5 rebuilt, and afterwards it was making noise, we pulled it apart and it was missing 2 of the rollers in the input shaft bearing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.