c clip eliminators on street 12 bolt - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2009, 06:44 PM
70 El Camino aka FRANKENSTEIN

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

c clip eliminators on street 12 bolt

Im building my first rear end and its also my first 12 bolt. the car is a 70 el camino with a 383 stroker roughly 430hp and a very firm th350.

ive been reading a bit about the c clip axles and the c clip eliminators. ive read that if i have over 400hp then get the eliminators. then others say its not worth it just get strong axles.

well here is my plan for the 12 bolt.

moser axles
detroit locker
richmond 3.73 gears
summit support cover
BFG 275/60/15

the car will see the track for some weekend fun now and then. i would like to run either slicks or cheaters when at the track.

i drive the car quite often on the street. so should i get c clip eliminators???

do they work with drum breaks?
weld on or bolt on?
how do they even work???

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2009, 07:10 PM

Last photo:

Check into the eliminators intended for use in stock car racing apps. They have bigger bearings and seal than the drag eliminators. They are available from Mark Williams and I think Moser has some. If you go to the Moser website you can see the install instructions for theirs. I doubt you really need them if you get aftermarket axles. You can also go up to 33 spline with a locker or posi and Yukon or Superior stock-type axles.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:42 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

I juset read a very long thread about these things in the Team Chevelle forums.

General consensus was that they are not really needed for a street car.
They tend to leak
And I guess some make strange noises.

Better axles seemed to be the thought for a street car.

Now---For the strip---might be a requirement in some places
The plus side of the eliminators is that they will retain the axle and wheel
in the event of an axle break----thus helping to prevent quarterpanel damage, but more importantly, keeping your car from slamming into a wall
when one of the wheels/axle go "bye-bye". Of course. if the axle breaks between the flange and the retainer----all bets are off, the wheel is gonna
go somewhere other than intended, and damage will immediately follow.

I do not know any of this firsthand-----but I did tread every post in there, and those guys KNOW their Chevelles

EDIT-------Read thru this
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/show...ip+eliminators

Last edited by Bryan59EC; 07-01-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:02 PM

Last photo:

I narrow quite a few 12 bolts and my advice to the customer is if they have to buy axles have them built with the 30 spline (12 bolt spline) and use the late big ford housing end (3.150 bearing) on the rear end. You are able to get the "Cobra" or explorer brakes with the built in parking brakes and have a stronger axle without the leaking C Clip eliminator.

I use the Strange pro race axle and Strange will put any spline on them, they will not do it to the S/T axle it is there "shelf" axle that is not as hard.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:35 PM

Last photo:

say i go with the eliminator kit can i still use my current drum brakes???

second question. what would putting on late ford housing ends mean? would i still need the eliminator kit???
Old 07-02-2009, 08:00 PM

Last photo:

Yes you will be able to use your drum brakes with the C clip eliminators. But if you are going to buy axles you can get them with a press on bearing and axle retainer like the ford has on it but with a 12 bolt 3.150" press on bearing on it. Call Strange and tell them you want to get rid of the C clips without the eliminator kit. Nothing to it.

Second question, if you use the Ford end you do not use the eliminator kit you have a Ford axle retainer. But you have to use a ford brake setup.

The 9" in my 51 F1 has Moser axles in it out of another 9" I changed to 35 spline for a customer that had 12 bolt ends on so he could use his existing drum brakes. I changed the axles and put Strange disk brakes on the car for him and gave him 75.00 credit for his old parts. So I built my rear end by using new 12 bolt housing ends and his old drum brakes for a little of nothing.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:08 PM

Last photo:

will i be able to use moser axles with whatever strange has to offer???
Old 07-02-2009, 09:21 PM

Last photo:

Yes but do you already have the axles? You need to have an axle that will accept a press fit bearing.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:55 PM

Last photo:

no i dont. but i want moser axles. what is the kit anyway if its not a c clip eliminator kit.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:27 PM

Last photo:

Why just Moser? They are good axles and a good company to deal with but the Strange pro race axle is through hardened unlike the others.

I have been 7.70s on Moser axles but I deal with Strange more and they have been good to me in the past.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:25 AM

Last photo:

same reason every one else wants moser axles. personal preference . ive hared many good things about them and have done lots of research on them. and when anyone thinks axles they think moser. thats what they are know for. so i guess you could say there is no real reason i want them other then the fact ive heard tons about them they are a highly trusted name and ive never heard anything bad about the axles.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:56 AM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcaminodragster
same reason every one else wants moser axles. personal preference . ive hared many good things about them and have done lots of research on them. and when anyone thinks axles they think moser. thats what they are know for. so i guess you could say there is no real reason i want them other then the fact ive heard tons about them they are a highly trusted name and ive never heard anything bad about the axles.
If you want to use the 9" style axle Brg's in your 12 bolt you can buy housing ends that you will need to have installed on your housing. You can get those ends that will fit your stock chevy brake backing plates if you need. If you want moser axle's, just call them after you have the housing work done and give them the length and spline count. They will walk you threw what you need.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:11 AM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

The housing ends will normally run from $90 to $120 for the pair, then you will need to find someone to install the end's.The price will vary depending on your area,I would figure on having around $250 to $300 in your housing if you decide to go that way,then your ready to buy axle's.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:22 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet6t9
If you want to use the 9" style axle Brg's in your 12 bolt you can buy housing ends that you will need to have installed on your housing. You can get those ends that will fit your stock chevy brake backing plates if you need. If you want moser axle's, just call them after you have the housing work done and give them the length and spline count. They will walk you threw what you need.
That is what I did to my 9" for my 51. The ends were 65.00 (strange) and the axles and brakes were practly free.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.