Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - C/K drum brake issue
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012, 02:47 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by likearoc View Post
short one is in back with e brake /front drums 70&older short one in front.
per my local repair shop,mine were on backwards when i went to change them.
looked at the book .put the drums back on drove to napa they said the
book's wrong.?????????. i put small on back. have fun.

You need to do a do-over.

I have worked at a NAPA store since 1992, and some of the best advice I can give you is to not ask a Partsman for Mechanic advice.
Seriously ...
Partsmen SELL parts, mechanics INSTALL them.

The thing about using an exploded brake parts diagram as a reference is that you have to consider which side of the vehicle you are looking at. The picture above shows the LH (Driver's Side) ... and the RH (Passenger Side) will be a "mirror image". The short shoe will STILL go to the front.

BTW, when I say "mechanic" ... I mean "trained technician", not the lerp working in the lube bay making $10.00 /hr that *thinks* he knows how to do everything.

I also have an issue in regards to the "pre 1970" notion that you have been fed. Self-adjusting rear drum brakes have been around longer than that. My 1966 GMC had them for sure. I bought the truck from my wife's grandfather in 1982 with 32,000 miles on the clock. The brakes had never been touched ... still had the OE stickers on the drums.

Short shoes were at the front.