Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - C/K drum brake issue
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 08:55 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

c/k brake drum issue

So I finally got the rear shoes and cylinders replaced. I got replacement lines from an 83 and 87 truck for the rear hard lines. I had to use the craftsman bolt off set to remove 3 of the 4 bolts holding on the cylinders. The 4th rounded even using the bolt off set and I had to pound on a 9mm socket on the rounded 3/8 bolt head and it was able to catch and get the 4th bolt.

Thanks tbucket23 for the little that trick. It worked for the passenger side cylinder. On the drivers side I ended up cutting the line so i didn't use it.

I knocked off most of the rust off the backing plate and cleaned up the drums and painted the exterior with a rust arresting paint.
I did damage the nut joining the hard line to the soft line at the differential. I thing it might just work though.

I'm so looking forward to replacing the fronts lines as well and will go ahead and get some replacements since they look nice and rusted together as well. I'm just going to do the soft front lines if possible (insert laughing here).

What is the appropriate gift to offer the brake gods in prepartion for such things?