A/C in the shop? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2007, 01:39 PM

Last journal entry: Headlights added
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

A/C in the shop?

How big of a A/C unit for a 20 x 20 garage with enough cooling?

12000 btu or bigger?

Steve

Texas is getting hot and progess may slooooooooow down.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2007, 01:45 PM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

Funny you should ask that question-I haev a reasonably large Evap Dooler and Box fan in my Shop, and it just wasn't cutting it, so last weekend I went to Lowe's and they have a portable 10,000 btu A/C unit-I bought it, had all three running last Saturday and it could barely keep up (it was 100 outside)-go as big as you can-
Old 07-24-2007, 03:47 PM

Last journal entry: 29 Ford Tudor
Last photo:

I have a 21,000 BTU window unit in my 24X28 Attached garage and I rarely turn it past medium on the dial. It was in my FIL's house for I don't know how many years before I got it 15 years ago when they moved. I also have 3-1/2" insulation on all walls & ceiling except the wall where the OH door is but I also have an insulated steel 16X7 door. I keep waiting for it not to work someday but that day hasn't arrived yet. By the way, here in SW Kansas today it hit 99 and the garage/shop was a comfortable 78.

Charles
Old 07-24-2007, 04:56 PM

Last journal entry: frame build
Last photo:

I use a 8000 btu to cool my 40x60x12. But it has 10" insulation in the walls and 22" in the ceiling. It hasn't been over 75 in the shop yet this year so I haven't fired it up yet. Maybe this weekend . It is supposed to be over a 100 for the next few days. Anyway, how big depends on how well your shop is insulated and how well the shop is sealed. Air leaks will raise the threshold a lot. If you have 4" inthe walls and 10 in the ceiling, you should be able to get along with 20,000 btu.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:22 PM

I've got a heat pump on my 24x30 shop. I'll look when I get home, can't remember what size. I hosed out the shop Saturday afternoon, it was over 100........shut the door, turned the thermostat to 75, and it got downright COLD in there pretty quick. I like having the thermostat to take of the temp. In the summer, I leave it at 85 when I'm not in it, in the winter I leave it at 50 when I'm not in it. I did noticve a couple of weeks ago that I may have to lower the temp a little in the summer, the grease in my grease gun had started to leak from being a little too hot. Sure makes for nice working conditions year round though.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:33 PM

Last photo:

The old rule of thumb used around here for home A/C is one ton (12,000BTU) for every 600 square feet of living area. That assumes typical home construction, stud walls with sheetrock on the inside & wood outside, no significant insulation, decent weatherstripping, and normal occasional door opening (YER LETTIN ALL THE COLD AIR OUT DAMMIT!!!). Add more if it's a single-thickness wall (especially metal), or leaky, or you leave the door open a lot, etc. Lotsa light bulbs and power tools also increase the load.

Don't forget the dehumidification factor. A too-big unit will cool, but it won't run long enough to get the water out of the air, leaving you with a clammy feeling.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.