Hot Rod Forum banner

C.A.T rotating assembly

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  454cutlass86 
#1 ·
any 1 every use them
a couple machine shop by me said they have had bad expeinces with them... i can get a forged stel crank and rods for 700,i know soem one who had a brand new crank that he paid 600 for and will sell for 300

#2 ·
I have no personal experience with C.A.T. parts, but have heard similar things to what you have. I see the company regularly at Trade Shows, and one thing has always disturbed me. It may be cynicism creeping in, but I am always extra skeptical when it comes to a company that uses a name that could easily be confused with another that offers similar pieces. This is the case with C.A.T. having a very similar sounding name to SCAT products. It may have no bearing, but... having heard the same complaints, usually regarding machining and dimensional accuracy...I have to wonder.

#4 ·
Further Checking needed

C.A.T. is located in southern California and manufactures parts there(Google for the website),I have used rocker arms from C.A.T. and no problems.I have seen posts on websites complaining about SCAT products who does import from China,maybe what you heard was a name mixup? :confused: In any event do a websearch putting in the names of the company and adding the word: complaints in the search box,more info will come up.

#6 ·
C.A.T. h-beam rods and forged cranks are strong enough pieces, but their quality control department is somewhat suspect. Rods will sometimes be out of round or tapered in the big end bore, cranks may be out of round or tapered on the mains and rods, or just out of tolerance on size. Nothing wrong with the strength-- just requires a tune-up by your local machine shop. Maybe the seller will agree to let you have the crank inspected by a nearby shop before you buy? If it passes then you have a deal. :)

#8 ·
I have used C.A.T. products for quite some time. The valve train products tend to be very good. The rods, as previously stated tend to have quality/finish problems, tho, I haven't had problems with them after correcting and installing the parts. NOW, the cranks! ALL the affordable cranks are from across the pond. I have had some questionable Eagles, some Scats and some of the private brand stuff. BUT< the worst, most under ground, over polished, tapered, out of round, oil holes in the wrong place, off drilled counterweights, improper runout, wrong keyway and bad thrust surface cranks have all come from C.A.T. I now run the other way when they come thru the door. Come to think of it. Not many have been around lately. Maybe they quit selling to the jobbers in Michigan. Or the jobbers have such a stack of returns that they no longer order.

#9 ·
I've heard SCAT-good CAT-bad
I do have to admit though, the cheap prices on some of the roller rockers and stuff look encouraging enough to give them a whirl on a budget build. The thoughts of needlebearings going through the oil pump pickup or lodged between a piston and cylinder wall though sure do scare me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.