C10 Fuel hole fill - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2009, 08:37 AM
New Age Classic

Last journal entry: Seat
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

C10 Fuel hole fill

Hey guys i'm planning on taking the tank out of the cab of my shorty and putting in a fuel cell in the bed. I also am planning on putting on a door popper get and shaving the handle. My question is how hard would it be and what would it take to fill that 3 inch hole and the holes in the door. Is it somthing a inexperienced body work man like me could do and get ready for paint not have to pay for the body work? Thank you guys for your time!!!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2009, 12:37 AM

fuel hole fill tips

I have done this exact repair for a customer a few years ago. It was a little harder than I expected even though I do this for a living. If you can form sheet metal to lay behind these holes and fit flush that is the hardest part. after that I would leave a inch overlap and glue the panels in from the back side useing body panel bond, this will keep the metal from worping that will happen with welding a panel in. after glueing it in flush you just want to tapper your outside edges and fill the thickness of the sheet metal. the hardest part is forming the metal to lay inside flush and getting in to clamp these peices while the glue dries.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:08 PM
New Age Classic

Last journal entry: Seat
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robweb
I have done this exact repair for a customer a few years ago. It was a little harder than I expected even though I do this for a living. If you can form sheet metal to lay behind these holes and fit flush that is the hardest part. after that I would leave a inch overlap and glue the panels in from the back side useing body panel bond, this will keep the metal from worping that will happen with welding a panel in. after glueing it in flush you just want to tapper your outside edges and fill the thickness of the sheet metal. the hardest part is forming the metal to lay inside flush and getting in to clamp these peices while the glue dries.
Thank you for your help i will see what i can do. More than likly i will just go have it done by one of the body shops in town. Thank you again for your helpful information.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.