Hot Rod Forum banner

c10 gas tank relocation

14K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Custom10 
#1 ·
I have a 1969 c10 and I want to put the fuel tank under the bed. the tank that I am thinking about is from LMC with the side fill. Any suggestions on where/how to mount the filler neck. Thanks

#9 · (Edited)
Not quite correct. The Suburbans had theirs mounted under the bed, and filled at the side. The filler neck does not interfere with hauling anything, as it's directed below the deck surface. The small metal hump at the left rear is back further than the inner wheelwell, so it can't interfere. You can see it in this picture of my '69 Burb:

I'd guess that LMC sells a later tank, and most likely the later fuel neck filler setup. Most likely uses a rubber grommet around the neck outside like my Suburban, and then whatever chrome cap you want. Might also buy a fuel door assembly, if you want a door over thhe filler, butt I think the simple cap looks better. Couldn't find a close up pic, but this is where the Suburban filler sits:

#10 ·
i used a fuel door on my 58, you have to get a little creative in positioning the door
i've also seen the original filler neck and grommet relocated to the rear fender
best choice would be a reman tank from the suburban/panel

on a lower truck this fuel door is way to low, should have put the filler door on top of the fender

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.