c1500 suspention upgrades? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2012, 06:50 AM

Last journal entry: had some warm weather but its gone,hate winter!...and header woes!
Wiki Edits: 0

c1500 suspention upgrades?

im always pickn away an planing on upgrades 4 my truck i have the drivetrain and would like to make it handle better,should i plan reconfigure the leafs for floating leafs w/ladders orfull ladders w/ coilovers or a link.Is it feizable to do it using leafs? they have 225k on them dont seem clapped out at all but prob 1st should replace them if i was to go that route? I just would love to go to an autocross not to domonate but just 2have fun&not imbarass myself rolling and sliding an going in circles. And have a truck that could carve a corner..any suggestions and surprise im on a budget but that just only determins how long b4 i can tear into it & nothing exotic thats just not possible...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 09:32 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Ladders and leafs will bind. That's an old 1/4 mile trick for cheap traction that doesent really work cause they dont travel the same arc.

Ladders travel in an arc, and will only gain some street ,mannors if you tilt them in at the front..

Triangulate 4 link is what you want, and because of the air bag market for your truck, kits are available
Old 03-28-2012, 08:37 AM

Last journal entry: had some warm weather but its gone,hate winter!...and header woes!

when i refered to the ladder bar leaf spring combo i was talking about ladder leafs that were utilizing comp engineerings antibind floating housing kit thoseare 160 alone not including bars so that seems alot for a still primitive setup and would only limit axle rap still using the limitations of primitive leafs for the spring.do u know of any tri angle 4 link kits that are reasonably priced.im not intimidated by fabricationi work in a commercial s/s fab shop just dont want to have to hack up and do a total reconstruction of back half of my frame ect. its my daily driver so down time is an issue....and $ is always an issue looking for a 4 tor $500 kit + the cost of colilovers or bags(love to bag it) not some $1000+ kit ontop of springs or bags.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:01 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

I drive a 1996 C2500 that handles reasonably well. 3" drop in the front with dropsprings, 4" drop in the back via shackles, stock leaves (with control leaf still in) and generic shocks. Stock Hydroboost brakes, disc in front, drum rear, with a G80 locker, 3.73 rear gear, 4l60e and L30 5.0L Vortec. Ex-cab Short box. I have Moog polyurethane swaybar end links in the front and the rest is all stock rubber. Stock Oil and Transmission cooler. I put money in my tires as well.

I wouldn't call it an autocross champion, but you can blame the wheelbase length for that. Initial turn in is a little dead, but after that it's almost severe. Planted with very little body roll. Probably the most fun vehicle I've driven because it doesn't have more power than my skill level.

FWIW, I had coil overs on it for a while and HATED them. The rear end hated them too and hopped all over the place if any throttle oversteer was applied... I ended up replacing them with cheap generic shocks.

Nice thing is that I can romp it through the twisties, drive it home, hook a 10,000 lbs trailer full of roofing material to it and take it to the dump. No sweat.

Did I mention it has 240,000 miles?

Old 03-29-2012, 07:06 AM

nice truck sounds fun and practical i kinda took the practical out of mine some with the motor and converter im glad when im crusin around but when its just a transportation issue i hate the mpgs and the ol lady complains how cold blooded it is stalling it 5 times in the cold and says the thing idles like crap an that i made it that way on puropose.. lol! Anyway i wanna lower it some but up here in maine go to low itd scrape and bang everywhere plus if i did id wanna an even drop to retain a hot rod rake vs level. Even tho the *** end sittin up isnt a plus in the handleing dept. I run coopers generic line 295/50-15s(on 10" wheels)all way around the kinda short sidewall makes a world of differance in handleing alone but on the front ita tends to handle lil funky they follow every inconsistancy in the road,just get use to it. the back theres monroe sensitrac shocks and work surprisingly the rear doesnt jump around and chatter on bumps...maby just 2"x2" drop upgrade bushings and perf sway bar maby even a rear1 too and some decent front shocks would b fine sounds like ur combo works good without being some exotic suspention kit.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:55 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by halftonhotrod
nice truck sounds fun and practical i kinda took the practical out of mine some with the motor and converter im glad when im crusin around but when its just a transportation issue i hate the mpgs and the ol lady complains how cold blooded it is stalling it 5 times in the cold and says the thing idles like crap an that i made it that way on puropose.. lol! Anyway i wanna lower it some but up here in maine go to low itd scrape and bang everywhere plus if i did id wanna an even drop to retain a hot rod rake vs level. Even tho the *** end sittin up isnt a plus in the handleing dept. I run coopers generic line 295/50-15s(on 10" wheels)all way around the kinda short sidewall makes a world of differance in handleing alone but on the front ita tends to handle lil funky they follow every inconsistancy in the road,just get use to it. the back theres monroe sensitrac shocks and work surprisingly the rear doesnt jump around and chatter on bumps...maby just 2"x2" drop upgrade bushings and perf sway bar maby even a rear1 too and some decent front shocks would b fine sounds like ur combo works good without being some exotic suspention kit.
To be honest, mine has a bit of a rake in it, not seen in this picture. With as tall of tires as I run, I had to roll the fender lip in the front for clearance. As it stands I'm going to go back to a narrower wheel with a shorter tire to reduce my unsprung weight and to gain back a little bit of my gear, so to speak. I would imagine your tires follow inconsistencies in the road because of how wide they are. Wide tires have a tendency to track the road. Sounds like you have a good plan though, and it is exactly as you said it: A combo that works good without being exotic. I'm using this thing day in and day out as a truck, so it has to be able to do the best of both worlds.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:35 AM

yea i noticed when i had my front tires off replacing the pads that my tire was rubbing slightly on the top of the upper control arm just enough to shine the metal up didn see any marks on the tires it never did that till i threw my 355 in it still has the v6 coils in it it did seem to drop an inch or 2 shuda measured b4 an after the swap.even tho its set up more hotrodish than ur average pickup i joke around sayin its the fastest thing around with ah dump sticker...im curious how itll work out when i hook my 14' skiff onto it how much more my converter will slip,i gotta put a cooler on it asap with summer coming and the occasional hauling something but surprisingly for a "2400rpm to 6400rpm rated" 232 dur @.050 480"lift with 108lsa howards cam and with an open plenum intake w/ 2" tall spacer/ adapter no less it has excelent low end grunt i expected it to b ok but not as good as it is. 2400 stall converter helps too

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.