Hot Rod Forum banner

C4 Corvette Turbo/Super Charger

26K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Blown84 
#1 ·
Where could I find a turbocharger or a supercharger for my 1984 Vette with crossfire injection and how much does it cost. Could I put 1 or both on without having to convert to a carburetor?

#3 ·
I hate to be rude, but if you have to ask.......you are not up to the challenge. If you have about 20k sitting around there are several shops who would be glad to do it for you. If you want to do it yourself start searching the web and reading all you can. Forced induction is not for the faint of heart. Tuning EFI to work with forced induction is even more involved. Start doing some homework.

Chris

#5 ·
Crossfire superchargers

To Blakblur, I am on the same quest; i.e., trying to get a Crossfire to breath better. Let me know if you have any luck, and I'll do the same. One other option that you might want to think about is changing out the gears in the rear end. For $1,500 this might be an easier way to get a noticeable increase in performance. To those questioning; "Why go to the trouble to supercharge or turbo a Crossfire?" The answer is that the Crossfire is generally reliable and economical - it just needs a little more air. A little bbost would go a long way. If I wanted to go to all of the trouble to modify the computer, electrical, fuel system, etc., I'd tear the thing out of there and stuff in a big block. But there is a difference between maximum performance and a daily driver.

#7 ·
Crossfire Supercharger

Thank you, Silentpoet. The only concern that I have with any engine change-out is the work required to get any new powerplant hooked up. What I mean is the computer, sensors, linkages, wiring, etc. To make any change at all from the Crossfire means going all the way. Aside from the front springs and raditor, it would be just as easy to put a big block in. I don't think there would be an easier manifold to supercharge than the Crossfire but I understand that the motors are so obscure that it is unlikely to be commercially viable for a machine shop to set up the jigs, or for a programmer to design a new computer chip. I am coming to the realization that putting new gears in the rear end is probably the best way to go and I think that the performance increase would match the 4-5 lbs. of boost I could comfortably get out of a supercharger. Still, it would be very cool but I like the fact that my car starts first time every time and that everything works just the way it is supposed to. I just wish I had a little more for these turbocharged rice burners than looking good (and the fact that I actually have a hot chic in the passenger seat of my car instead of one of my 'homies').

#8 ·
With the LT1 you would have to get the box, but I think most junkyards would sell them together. Plus once you get it in there, it is rated at something like 300 hp. That is before any mods.

The other idea is to take off the crossfire intake, change the heads for some better heads and install something like a holley TBI system. You might even be able to do quite a bit more by pulling the motor and changing the pistons, I don't know what they are like.

I don't know what Utah vehicle inspections are like, but you might even be able to go with a carb if cost becomes an issue. But I would change the heads if it was me and I had the money.

If it is an auto tranny don't forget the idea of a shift kit.

#9 ·
I just had this motor rebuilt and had to go 10 over on the bore; so I put in forged flat-top pistons. I also put in slightly larger valves and a larger cam but I didn't go too crazy because I knew that the intake couldn't handle it. One thing I did find on the web (at www.twoguysgarage.com) was a group of links where you could buy all of the stuff to convert the Crossfire to the later model C4 multiport fuel injection system. Apparently Two Guys Garage is a tv show and they did this conversion on the program. I'm still following up. thanks.

#12 ·
I've got a blown 84 vette with crossfire... so to speak..

Hey, I've got a Crossfire with twin turbos on it. It's really fast. Waste of tires if you ask me. I brought the PSI down to 6 for less boost. Once things spooled up, rubber got out of hand...

First thing you should do to your crossfire engine is bolt on an X-Ram intake manifold. You can turbo it all you want and not get any extra power out of it. The X-Ram lets the motor breath in way better.

You might also want to change the inhood induction. Limiting to say the least but I made some make shift carbonfiber vents going to the front on an aftermarket hood and it worked wonders.

After you X-ram, depending on what other modifications you have to your engine, you won't even want to Turbo, trust me.

1/4 Mile in 11.2 on pump gas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.