Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Transmission - Rearend (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/transmission-rearend/)
-   -   C4 ford trans not going into 3rd (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/c4-ford-trans-not-going-into-3rd-87382.html)

Ed ke6bnl 04-20-2006 05:34 AM

C4 ford trans not going into 3rd
 
I would like to know if it is time to replace the c4 trans on my wifes 68 mustang. The trans will not go into 3rd at least for the first 4 miles of driving. I checked vacuum to the moduator or what ever it is called on the trans and it is ok and the vacuum will pull in the pin on that part. Is this rebuild time. thanks for the input Ed ke6bnl

transmandan 04-20-2006 08:11 AM

You need to check the governor it sounds like its sticking (remove tail shaft housing) its held on by four small bolts remove it and see if the weights are sticking or stuck when cold

Ed ke6bnl 04-20-2006 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by transmandan
You need to check the governor it sounds like its sticking (remove tail shaft housing) its held on by four small bolts remove it and see if the weights are sticking or stuck when cold

Thanks for the message, if they are sticky can I just lube and work them back and forth to free them up,and do I need to drain the pan first then remove the tail shaft. thanks Ed

transmandan 04-20-2006 10:46 AM

No need to drain the fluid just remove the govenor and clean it and lube it with wd 40 or trans fluid and make sure the valves work back and forth and i think it will be just fine

Ed ke6bnl 04-20-2006 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by transmandan
No need to drain the fluid just remove the govenor and clean it and lube it with wd 40 or trans fluid and make sure the valves work back and forth and i think it will be just fine

Hi Dan I removed the tailhousing and the govenor, and the weights are free as can be so it seem like I am in for a rebuilt, was worth a try and what a project my boy but dual exhaust and sounded good but sounds like a lot of extra work to do the job know. Intresting experience though ED

matt167 04-20-2006 12:23 PM

u have the 200 I6, if so get a set of FSPP headders from www.fordsix.com, and get a compleate stock exhaust kit for a v8 mustang of the same year ( will be 2" ), seems like the kit for a K code 289 would work well, you will need a short custom pipe to connect the driver side pipe to the headder but that's it, all that would entale is cutting the driver side pipe off a little and get some tubing of the right diamater, and have it bent so it fits.

transmandan 04-20-2006 12:48 PM

If the governor is ok the direct clutch piston seals are hard and when it gets warm they seal and work ok when it cools off it does what yours is doing when you take it apart see if the seals in that clutch drum break like sticks this unit is very easy to rebuild if you have any questions just let me know

Ed ke6bnl 04-20-2006 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by transmandan
If the governor is ok the direct clutch piston seals are hard and when it gets warm they seal and work ok when it cools off it does what yours is doing when you take it apart see if the seals in that clutch drum break like sticks this unit is very easy to rebuild if you have any questions just let me know

Well I am now only a 3 torque converter bolts and about 3 bell housing and the starter from removing the trans. I work graveyard and tomorrow I will finish up removing it. thanks for all your suggestion I found a rebuilt trans and converter real reasonable and will try to get it next week. Nice to have the help out there Ed ke6bnl

Ed ke6bnl 04-20-2006 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed ke6bnl
Well I am now only a 3 torque converter bolts and about 3 bell housing and the starter from removing the trans. I work graveyard and tomorrow I will finish up removing it. thanks for all your suggestion I found a rebuilt trans and converter real reasonable and will try to get it next week. Nice to have the help out there Ed ke6bnl

One more pick your brain question, can I use dextron/mercon fluid in the new transmission or do I need ford f fluid thanks Ed

red65mustang 04-20-2006 04:19 PM

it was the original clutches material that only like type "F"

you need to ask the the tranny shop what are the new clutches in the re-built unit

probably not the original material

Ed ke6bnl 04-20-2006 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red65mustang
it was the original clutches material that only like type "F"

you need to ask the the tranny shop what are the new clutches in the re-built unit

probably not the original material


Thanks I will do just that. Ed ke6bnl

transmandan 04-21-2006 06:41 AM

I used dextron in mine the clutches are (if they use good stuff) raybestos or borg warner you will be fine

airworld2 04-21-2006 06:28 PM

c4
 
how is reverse when cold or first started? if reverse is good try valve body replacement 2-3 shift valve may be sticking. dont over lool the small things, what the history of the car has tranny ever been rebuilt or should I say when was the last rebuild if you know??


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.