Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Transmission - Rearend (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/transmission-rearend/)
-   -   C4 full manual valve body (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/c4-full-manual-valve-body-139813.html)

Sixtyninemercury 06-03-2008 02:36 PM

C4 full manual valve body

On a C4 with full manual valve reverse body would having engine-braking in 1st gear slow down the 1-2 shift timing? I want this trans to shift real fast!

Sixtyninemercury 06-04-2008 07:35 AM

Any ideas?

jaguarxk120 06-04-2008 08:30 AM

Try fordmuscle.com they have a complete section on the C4 transmission. Maybe more than you want to know. The guy's there are very helpful, but just going thru the listing you my find what you want. Good luck Tom F

68NovaSS 06-04-2008 08:34 AM

I don't understand your question, with a full manual valve body, if you pull it into first gear range, it's going into first gear period, hopefully when you're at a stop. :pain:

Sixtyninemercury 06-04-2008 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68NovaSS
I don't understand your question, with a full manual valve body, if you pull it into first gear range, it's going into first gear period, hopefully when you're at a stop. :pain:

Some full manual VB's have engine-braking in 1st gear - some VB's don't. If you have one with engine-braking I was wondering if your 1-2 shift is real fast or a bit slower than your 2-3 shift. Because the added band that makes the engine-braking has to be engaged/disengaged when you shift - and this takes time/added rpm (at least on my current trans - a modified AOD). For instance - my modified AOD's auto 1-2 shift (no engine-braking in auto) is real fast, yet with a manual 1-2 shift (engine-braking in manual mode for towing) the shift timing is a little delayed with the motor climbing 200 or 300rpm. I'm hoping that my full manual C4 will not have that problem and shift real fast every time - downshift or upshift!

68NovaSS 06-04-2008 02:48 PM

What added 'band'? You won't be going into the trans for a manual valve body install. The valve body's pistons (slide valves), springs, ball placement and modified separator plates dictate that function. There are kits, TransGo is one, that allow for either manual/auto or full Manual valve body modification to your own valve body, or you can go with a complete valve body from any number of suppliers. To the best of my knowledge, all 'full manual' valve bodies will have braking because they will engage all gears at all speeds if selected. A manual/auto VB (upshift manually or use as a full auto shift) will not. I've used them both and prefer the full manual forward shift myself.

The spring rates/removal and separator plate drilling will determine the harshness and speed of the shift.

Sixtyninemercury 06-04-2008 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68NovaSS
What added 'band'? You won't be going into the trans for a manual valve body install. The valve body's pistons (slide valves), springs, ball placement and modified separator plates dictate that function. There are kits, TransGo is one, that allow for either manual/auto or full Manual valve body modification to your own valve body, or you can go with a complete valve body from any number of suppliers. To the best of my knowledge, all 'full manual' valve bodies will have braking because they will engage all gears at all speeds if selected. A manual/auto VB (upshift manually or use as a full auto shift) will not. I've used them both and prefer the full manual forward shift myself.

The spring rates/removal and separator plate drilling will determine the harshness and speed of the shift.

Doesn't the C4 also apply the reverse band when in 1st gear for the engine-braking? I know my AOD does in manual 1st. And in 2nd manual it also applies the OD band for engine-braking!

68NovaSS 06-04-2008 05:34 PM

That's possible, I'm not familiar with the C4's, but you won't be adding any additional bands to the trans. Hopefully Crosley will jump in here when he arrives and chime in.

Crosley 06-04-2008 06:33 PM

C-4 trans works very well, I like them.

Buy either v-body , the shifts will be fine.

I've used Performance Automatic v-bodys (trans brakes), they work excellent

:cool: