C4 question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2012, 03:52 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Hello to everyone

My name is Steven and, although I currently do not have a hot rod, I hope that you all will be patient with my relatively easy questions.

I have a '66 Mustang I bought about 4 months ago. Am thinking I need a rebuild on the C4 as it revs up slightly right before it shifts, like it momentarily went into neutral?

Any help is much appreciated...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2012, 03:59 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Welcome to the site, got any pics of your 66 ? and have you checked the fluid in the trans ?

Cole
Old 01-25-2012, 04:04 PM

first thing i would do is to check the fluid color. It should have a pinkish red color. If it is not this color, say a brown color, and has a smell of being burnt change the Transmission fluid. Another problem with the ford Auto transmission is the modulator valve. Both cheap to replace. Good luck.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:12 PM

I do have some pics that I will try to post tonight.

Will check the fluid level when I get home as well as the color and report back.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:59 PM

You know, I did notice that when my shifting didn't sound weird I did have a leak in my tranny. Filling it up might remedy?
Old 01-26-2012, 11:06 AM

C4 question

I have noticed when riding in 2nd and I punch it, it sounds like it goes to high rpm's then back down again quickly. Any ideas what this could be? It isn't the normal kickdown reaction.

Someone on another board said that if it revs up slightly right before it shifts, like it momentarily went into neutral then the O-ring in my forward clutch has cracked. Does fixing this require removal of the tranny?

Have also noticed that when I place the car in reverse it "bumps".

Thank you in advance,
Steven

'66 Mustang Coupe 200ci
Old 01-26-2012, 04:33 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

The bump is probably rearend slop at the yoke . JMO I would also think that yes it would be best to pull the trans to fix that o-ring at the foward clutch IMHO If that's actually what is the problem anyway. JMO

Cole
Old 01-30-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloc431962
The bump is probably rearend slop at the yoke . JMO I would also think that yes it would be best to pull the trans to fix that o-ring at the foward clutch IMHO If that's actually what is the problem anyway. JMO

Cole
Thanks for the input Cole.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:00 PM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wareagle
I have noticed when riding in 2nd and I punch it, it sounds like it goes to high rpm's then back down again quickly. Any ideas what this could be? It isn't the normal kickdown reaction.

Someone on another board said that if it revs up slightly right before it shifts, like it momentarily went into neutral then the O-ring in my forward clutch has cracked. Does fixing this require removal of the tranny?

Have also noticed that when I place the car in reverse it "bumps".

Thank you in advance,
Steven

'66 Mustang Coupe 200ci

if the problem was in the forward clutch, you would have a delay into drive as the forward clutch is on in any forward gear.
the forward band is for 2nd gear. an out of adjustment band can cause a flare shift as you describe. also, not to mention, if the trans is original, its also possible that the servo apply piston has gotten hard and could also show that other rubber sealing parts could be bad as well. the trans leaking could be a good inicator.
as for the bump in reverse, is this a noise like a clunk or a light to firm engagement? I.E. you put it into reverse and you feel it engage some, and then around a second later feel it "bump" in the rest of the way? are all the mounts ok?
from what youve mentioned, id say that you are correct in your original judgement and the trans be pulled and looked into.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnsmith10
if the problem was in the forward clutch, you would have a delay into drive as the forward clutch is on in any forward gear.
the forward band is for 2nd gear. an out of adjustment band can cause a flare shift as you describe. also, not to mention, if the trans is original, its also possible that the servo apply piston has gotten hard and could also show that other rubber sealing parts could be bad as well. the trans leaking could be a good inicator.
as for the bump in reverse, is this a noise like a clunk or a light to firm engagement? I.E. you put it into reverse and you feel it engage some, and then around a second later feel it "bump" in the rest of the way? are all the mounts ok?
from what youve mentioned, id say that you are correct in your original judgement and the trans be pulled and looked into.
The tranny is leaking. I was thinking it might be the gasket, but now the rebuild is sounding inevitable. Thanks for the input, and about how much would I be looking at for a rebuild?
Old 01-31-2012, 08:15 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

id say roughly 700-1200 depending on who you go to. and whether or not you do the R&R yourself. i really dont watch prices too closely as i primarily just do diag and R&R.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
id say roughly 700-1200 depending on who you go to. and whether or not you do the R&R yourself. i really dont watch prices too closely as i primarily just do diag and R&R.

Uggghhh. Would it be worth my while to attempt the rebuild first by myself?
Old 01-31-2012, 08:27 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

have you ever rebuilt an auto trans before? if so then, id say why not. but if you havent, then, id say it would depend on you and your abilities mechanically.
an atsg book will help greatly and you will also need a tool to be able to get the pistons out of the clutch drums.
there are several parts resources to get parts from. whatever it takes has a parts distribution warehouse in NC (i used to live in fayetteville) and so does transtar (raleigh/durham).
Old 01-31-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
have you ever rebuilt an auto trans before? if so then, id say why not. but if you havent, then, id say it would depend on you and your abilities mechanically.
an atsg book will help greatly and you will also need a tool to be able to get the pistons out of the clutch drums.
there are several parts resources to get parts from. whatever it takes has a parts distribution warehouse in NC (i used to live in fayetteville) and so does transtar (raleigh/durham).
Never have rebuilt a tranny. I learned my mechanical skills working on Amtrac's in the Marines.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:46 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

why not? attention to detail is important. id say that is required to work on an amtrac (train right?) so id say you can do it. just need the right tools for working on the drums as the rest is pretty simple.
just make sure that you also get the atsg rebuild book.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.