C4 slip yoke clearance, side to side, runout. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2011, 01:59 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

C4 slip yoke clearance, side to side, runout.

Having a vibrating tailshaft at 20, 30 40 mph is not what i had hoped for after finally hitting the road with the 67. Car has standard springs, aluminium tailshaft with new joints front and rear, and balanced.
I lifted up the car today and put a dial gauge on the diff -end of the tail shaft and measured 30 thou run-out in one revolution with no movement in the universal.
The yoke sits out of the rear of the gearbox housing by 46 mm with rear axle sitting on two jack stands. When i grabbed hold of the front/gearbox universal joint and pulled up and down on it i could feel and see movement. I could measure 20 thou when i mounted a dial gauge on the polished section of the yoke. Is this within tolerance as i am thinking this will allow the shaft to spin out of round. Any thoughts appreciated.
Al.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo069.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	561.8 KB
ID:	58570  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2011, 07:36 PM

Last photo:

If you disconnect the DS at the Diff, how much will the Yoke slide into the Trans Tailhousing? Should be 3/4"-1" or 19mm-25.4mm
Old 09-27-2011, 05:29 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSedan64
If you disconnect the DS at the Diff, how much will the Yoke slide into the Trans Tailhousing? Should be 3/4"-1" or 19mm-25.4mm
Hi SS 64. Thanks for your reply. I measured how far the DS moved into the gearbox and it came out at 26mm so that being the case it looks okay from the dimension you have posted. I bought a new seal and bush to put in to see if that is the problem.I tried taking the wheels off the axles and putting the car in gear and spinning them up but it made very little difference. I have been reading up on how to check the pinion angle relative to the gearbox angle which is supuposed to be about 2 to 3 degrees. So thats the next thing i will do. A guy in town at the Trans service shop suggested driving down the road , find the worst vibration speed and select neutral to see if the vibration is coming from outside the gearbox or try to eliminate driveshaft, driveshaft balance and wheel/tyre balance.
i guess its just a case of one thing at a time. Today i noticed a vibration coming from the 347 at 2000rpm while sitting up on the stands in neutral, but i am not sure thats enough to worry it. The torque converter was new and balanced so that "should" be fine.
Thanks
Al.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img115.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	435.5 KB
ID:	58609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo078.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	58610  
Old 09-27-2011, 11:45 AM

Last photo:

I recently made a sheetmetal tailhousing for a Toploader 4spd. While designing the section to house the rear bushing and seal, i came across some dimensional info for the 28 spline slip yokes, and all were not the same with regards to the outer diameter. 1.500" is the most common, but there were smaller barrel diameters listed as well. I'd measure the OD of your yoke to make sure you have the right one.

I'd also measure the runout with the driveshaft installed. If the output shaft is bent or if you have a binding u-joint, that might be the easiest way to find it.

Pinion angle can also cause a vibration like that. I've got an Astrovan with composite leaf springs in the rear. Over time it developed a vibration in the rear that was very much like what you described. I jacked it up to check the u-joints, which appeared to be normal. I checked the slop of the transmission's output bushing, and it was very sloppy, but not leaking. But then I noticed that the pinion angle looked to be wrong, a bit nose-up. Turned out that the composite leaf spring on the pass side had de-laminated on the front half, allowing the nose of the diff to pitch up even more under load. I replaced the rear springs and the vibration was cured. Still has the sloppy output yoke fit, probably just normal wear for something with 320K.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisr
I recently made a sheetmetal tailhousing for a Toploader 4spd. While designing the section to house the rear bushing and seal, i came across some dimensional info for the 28 spline slip yokes, and all were not the same with regards to the outer diameter. 1.500" is the most common, but there were smaller barrel diameters listed as well. I'd measure the OD of your yoke to make sure you have the right one.

I'd also measure the runout with the driveshaft installed. If the output shaft is bent or if you have a binding u-joint, that might be the easiest way to find it.

Pinion angle can also cause a vibration like that. I've got an Astrovan with composite leaf springs in the rear. Over time it developed a vibration in the rear that was very much like what you described. I jacked it up to check the u-joints, which appeared to be normal. I checked the slop of the transmission's output bushing, and it was very sloppy, but not leaking. But then I noticed that the pinion angle looked to be wrong, a bit nose-up. Turned out that the composite leaf spring on the pass side had de-laminated on the front half, allowing the nose of the diff to pitch up even more under load. I replaced the rear springs and the vibration was cured. Still has the sloppy output yoke fit, probably just normal wear for something with 320K.
Thanks for your reply aisr. I measured the slip yoke with a micrometer and it is a 1.498" shaft along its length. I bought a new bush and before its pressed in it has about .004" clearance instead of the .020 i measured with the yoke installed in place.
Its interesting your springs fixed your problem even if you have 320 k on that sloppy bush. It makes me think that putting this new bush in will not change much.When i took the shaft back to the place that fitted new joints and balanced it they suggested shimming the rear springs to change the pinion angle of the diff. Either up or down to prove it is the problem.
Just have to go one fix at a time and try it i guess. The tailshaft runs out .030 at the diff end so thats okay.
Thanks and cheers
Al.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Copy of Photo057.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	798.5 KB
ID:	58620   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo069.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	561.8 KB
ID:	58621  

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.