C4 A/T kickdown - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2007, 01:41 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

C4 A/T kickdown

Hello to every one I am new this board and need help. I recently bought a 67 Mustang with a 71 302 motor and c4 trans in it. This is the first ford I have ever owened. The owner had replaced the botor and trans but never finished it. I was under the car hooking up the trans linkage that looked like it was backwards. After taking the nut off the shifter to flip it when I went to pull the kickdown lever off the shaft came out alittle after looking at this the shaft would come completly out. I pulled the pan and found a lever that looks like it goes on the shaft but I can't tell how or where it goes. Can anyone help me on this? I have searched all over the net and can't find anything on the kickdown lever itself. I was told it would burn the trans up if not used is this true?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2007, 10:24 PM

The kickdown lever is installed from the inside of the trans. If the lever (valve body side) is broken off, you will need to visit a trans shop for repairs. The kickdown lever is not able to be replaced with the valve body installed, but it can be replaced with the trans in the car. the kickdown lever provides passing gear and max throttle upshift timing, so it is important....
Old 08-24-2007, 10:43 PM
Lost in the 50s!

Last journal entry: time to start body work
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMustangfan
:I have searched all over the net and can't find anything on the kickdown lever itself. I was told it would burn the trans up if not used is this true?
I think that refers to the T.V. control on an AOD. I have heard they will fry if not set correctly.

As far as the kickdown...all it is doing is shifting to second gear (people call it passing gear).

We have been driving an 89 ranger with an 84 C5 in it for the last 5 years. No kickdown is hooked up. No matter what we tried the factory 89 linkage would not work on the 84 trans.

We just downshift when passing. Then again...we built the trans and watch the tach when shifting.

I agree though. Go ahead and get it repaired. It is not major in your case. It should not cost a lot.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:32 PM

Thanks for the reply at least I have a better picture of the problem now.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.