C4 Transmission Help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2002, 09:15 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post C4 Transmission Help

Hey this is my first post and I was wondering if anybody knows anything about shifting with a c4 tranny. I have a 65 Mustang with a K code 289 and a c4 transmission. I was wondering if it is possible to manually shift and downshift with this stock but recently rebuilt transmission. Somewhere a long time ago I read something about with an old ford transmission (can't remember which one) that if you start in low and drive low as high as you want then shift to drive and back to low, it shifts into second, and then shift to drive for third. Would that work with my transmission. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would really like the control of a manual but can't afford the swap right now.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2002, 04:52 AM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

Well I've manually shifted every C4 trans I ever had. The oldest one I've ever had was a '68. The ones I've had all had P,R,N,D,2,1 on the gear selector. If you start out in '1' then shift to '2' when you're ready for second gear. Then put her in 'D' when you're ready for third. Is this how your gear selector is set up? Whats it say on the shifter? Never owned a '65.
Old 08-12-2002, 06:56 AM

It has a low. Then it has a dot which is drive because it starts in first, then goest to second, and then to theird. Then it has a dot with a circle around it in which the transmission starts in second and shifts to third.
Old 08-12-2002, 08:32 AM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

Well that sounds exactly like a C4 shift pattern except wrong order. With the selector in second gear a C4 will start off in second then go to third. It doesn't make sense that she would go from neutral, to second, to drive, then to first on the gear selector. The order should be neutral, drive, second, then first. That way you pull the selector all the way down to first (low 1) then just click it once to second and then one more click to drive (third). From the way you describe it she goes neutral-second-drive-first, which doesn't make sense. Unlees there's been valve body modifications or something else. I'm not a trans expert, I'm just going off experience of all the C4's I've owned. But they've all been stock and '68 or newer. I know we've got a few trans guys here, they may not have seen the post yet though.
Old 08-12-2002, 07:01 PM
Engine Tech Addict

I had a 66 coupe with a 289/C-4 and if you put it in drive it would shift from 1st to 3rd which was fine most of the time. When I'd race I had to start out in 1st (shifter all the way down), then click up one notch (2nd) and back to 1st to get it into 2nd, then up into drive to get into 3rd. I never knew why but once I knew how to do it I didn't really care. Besides, I was seventeen........lol.

The Vandal
Old 08-13-2002, 07:03 PM

I've tried that but when I shift back down into first from second, it downshifts back to first.
Old 10-31-2003, 07:11 PM

C4 Red Dot

This is normal for the Trans to shift from 2nd to third in this position it was designed for the more torqed motors.

the car only wieghts 2800 lbs and will move just fine from 2 to third

if you want to leave the line yesterday then then pick the one that starts in first and smoke there ***

tim
Old 10-31-2003, 08:15 PM

Last photo:

c4

OKs Mr d morris your the ford guy right( just messing with you)
the old c4 tranny 64 1/2 to 66 was semi auto c4 as they where called
drive 3 tranny started in 2nd then shifted to 3rd
drive 2 position started in first shifted to second and then shifted to third gear
drive 1 or low on the shifter was first only

I don't know how many first time mustang owners have come to my shop thinking they car was not working correctly, I have to explain the working of the old tranny's

some shop's have change the valve bodies to correct this so called trouble to make the customer's happy
Old 10-31-2003, 10:03 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Cool

interesting how a post that is 14 months old is brought back to life.

good info
Old 11-01-2003, 10:07 AM

I think I know what you heard and why.
The AOD (automatic overdrive Trans) has 3 + OD but only 3 selector positions.
Start in 1 and shift to 2 as soon as the shift engages you have to pull the shifter back to the 1 hole to hold second gear or it will immediately go to 3rd.
When you run up to the desired rpm range go back to the 2 hole to take 3rd and then to the 3 hole to get 4th/od if you need it but your probebly through the 1/4 by now and wont need it.
Of course this wont apply to your c4.
Doc

Wow yeah just noticed that this post is that old, Bet he's got it figured out by now, lol

Last edited by DrHengle; 11-01-2003 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11-01-2003, 05:43 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

I remember having a customer, years ago, that came in cause he had a problem with his 67 Mustang. The thing was shifting 2 times when it was in drive. He had always had the earlier Mustangs and never had one shift like that. He thought someone had "hot rodded" it, and wanted it back the way it was supposed to be.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.