C6 Linkage wows - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2005, 06:44 PM
Meat-Head Extroidenaire

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

sweet .. thanks guys ! Well i appreciate all the help and hey saabstorey thanks for the offer but the trany probably isn't worth the shipping from your place to mine. but hey if you have the space keep it for someone else or yourself. hey cliff tate umm ... how much would it take ($) to alleviate this burden off your shoulders .. im not greedy, just need one. As long as the tranny housing is perfect.. with out cracks .. i plan on a total over haul so mileage doesn't matter . A shop called " L & D transmission " quoted me about $100.00 for not having one to start with.. plus they will not give me any money or take any off for the FMX i already have. oh also there including the shifter linkage. im not sure if everyone always does.

thanks
bill

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2005, 10:05 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by "70" Cougar
sweet .. thanks guys ! Well i appreciate all the help and hey saabstorey thanks for the offer but the trany probably isn't worth the shipping from your place to mine. but hey if you have the space keep it for someone else or yourself. hey cliff tate umm ... how much would it take ($) to alleviate this burden off your shoulders .. im not greedy, just need one. As long as the tranny housing is perfect.. with out cracks .. i plan on a total over haul so mileage doesn't matter . A shop called " L & D transmission " quoted me about $100.00 for not having one to start with.. plus they will not give me any money or take any off for the FMX i already have. oh also there including the shifter linkage. im not sure if everyone always does.

thanks
i paid 100 @ for mine would sell for same but ther is no torkconverter would use a rebuilt one to sute your engine, cliff. email me if you want it ct1940@telus.net
bill
the linkag is ther tailhousing has new bushing and seal
Old 11-24-2005, 10:39 AM

Last photo:

C-6 blues

All 302/5.0, 351W/5.8, and 351Clevelands use the same bellhousing bolt pattern. The transmissions from any of those engines can be bolted to any of the others.
C-6's came with heavy duty 302 packages, in pickups, and behind most 351W and 351C engines, unless it was equiped with an FMX transmission.
I guess the question I would have is why go with a C-6, when the C-4 is quite capable of doing the job, is a lot lighter in weight, and doesnt steal as much power as a C-6, not to mention more plentiful, and less exspensive.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:17 PM
Meat-Head Extroidenaire

Last photo:

well for some reason I've told myself that i think a C6 will hold more horse and torque then the C4 . Now im not saying im right but I've pretty much talked myself in to it.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:34 PM

Last photo:

C-4 vs C-6

Yes, in fact the C-6 will take more power than will the C-4, however, C-4's have been known to take on 600 hp in stock trim and survive it, for a long time. The biggest detriment6 to either of those transmissions, be it the C-4 or C-6 are doing line loads on them for dragracing (harmful to any auto trans as it generates extreme amounts of heat, burning the fluid) and doing manual 1-2 shifts, with a stock valve body. The reason this is damaging is because when you shift manually, the transmission wants to shift up first, then back to 2. According to one article I read several years ago, put out by one of the Transmissoin gurus, that you reduce the life of these transmissions by 2 shifts every time you do one manual shift from 1 to 2. IF you like to shift your own gears, then I would suggest you get a shift kit, as it will alter the plumbing to eliminate the weak point of manual shifts with the stock valve body.
As a point of trivia, Ford made a bellhousing for the M blocks in the mid 70's that would bolt the C-4 to them. Vertually every one of those bellhousings that have ever wound up in a junk yard or garage or whatever, has been scavanged up for guys runnning 429's and 460's in dragracing. If a C-4 (worke over of course) will take that kind of beating, it should stand up well to a street engine.
The M (351/400)block and the Lima (429/460) block use the same bellhousing bolt pattern.
In the case of them using C-4's behind the Lima block, its the bellhousing that tend to crack and break after a period of time due to the extreme torque, not the transmission itself.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.