c6 OD. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2006, 05:11 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

c6 OD.

help help.
in the not too distant past, one of the mags had an article on adapting a ford truck std shift overdrive unit to a c6 auto (possibly HRM.) if anyone remembers the article please give me a heads up. alternately, do you know the particular trans this unit was available with??? i believe the unit, once completed, was cable operated, although i dont know if it was that way before being removed from the std tranny.
tks
DAN

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2006, 07:29 AM

OD to C-6

I dont remember the article but I have done the conversion. Late model C-6's come in 2 bellhousing styles, low top, that would fit 6cyl, 302 and 351 Windsor engines, and high top, that fits 351 Cleveland, 429 and 460 engines. An early C-6 was called round top and fit 352, 390, 406, 427 engines. All are the same length, have the same output splines, and transmissiom mount position, except Lincoln, which you want to stay away from! I am not sure what standard shift tranny you have now, but the drive shaft and mounts may work with the C-6. You will need to get a flexplate and convertor. Round top unit has one type convertor, low and high top another type. The difference is in the size of the pilot snout that fits in the back of the crankshaft. You will need to remove the standard transmission pilot bushing. AutoZone will loan you a tool to remove the bushing. Starter should work OK. You will need to add an aftermarket cooler. Cheap & easy. You will need to run a vacuum line from the intake manifold or base of the carb to the vacuum modulator at the rear of the C-6 unit. 3/16 hose will work great. Shifter will need to be aftermarket, junk yard, or fabricate your own. Remember to hook up a netrual safety switch for saftey. I dont worry about back-up lights. It's your call. Speedometer should be OK. The factory runs a passing gear rod from the carb to a lever you will find that runs from the middle of the shift lever on the tranny. It is passing gear. It wont hurt to not hook it up. You will need a filler tube for fluid. 12 to 13 quarts of fluid
The C-6 is a great choice. Easy to fix, strong, cheap
Old 01-21-2006, 02:05 PM
Meat-Head Extroidenaire

Last photo:

cool idea and a realy neet conversion . i dont pretend to know alot about transmissions but ive understood that the cleavland is also considerd a small block and being so would be in with the 302, 351 windser imho

keep us posted

bill
Old 01-22-2006, 04:12 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosecannon39@yahoo.
help help.
in the not too distant past, one of the mags had an article on adapting a ford truck std shift overdrive unit to a c6 auto (possibly HRM.) if anyone remembers the article please give me a heads up. alternately, do you know the particular trans this unit was available with??? i believe the unit, once completed, was cable operated, although i dont know if it was that way before being removed from the std tranny.
tks
DAN

I think you saw the article about the "Gear Vendors" planetary overdrive unit that fits onto the tailshaft. My friend has one on a C-6 pickup

Super Chevy, Rod and Custom, and Mustang Monthly among others have done articles.

google........ Gear Vendors Overdrive

About $ 2500.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:24 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by "70" Cougar
cool idea and a realy neet conversion . i dont pretend to know alot about transmissions but ive understood that the cleavland is also considerd a small block and being so would be in with the 302, 351 windser imho

keep us posted

bill
Yup, I'm quite sure you're right Bill.
351"C" used the "Windsor / small-block" pattern
351"M" used the "385 / big-block" (same as 400, 429, 460)

I hesitate to use "big block" terminology when it comes to Ford.
http://www.fordclassics.com/enginespecs.html

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.