Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

C6 torque converter slippage

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  jake_arcticcat 
#1 ·
Alright, i recently pulled the tranny on my old ford to replace a seal and found out that the torque converter shaft was badly worn. So i got another converter, put a new seal in, and threw it back in the truck. Now when i drive its all good untill the tranny gets hot, at that point i got nothing. So if i let it idle in park(to cool down i presume) it starts to work again. Im guessing its the troque converter any second opinions? Thanks, Jake

#2 ·
I think you have an internal transmission problem.

What is the history on this C6 trans? Age ? Mileage on trans?

Have you verified the fluid level? I would guess the level is OK if the trans will drive for a while then quit.

#3 ·
C-6 Slipping

Yes, agreed. The torque converter will not work good cold then not work when it gets hot.

The trans on the other hand will, if there is an internal problem.

Where did you get the converter that you installed, was it new, as in new new, or was it a field tested presumably good used converter?

If the trans had been working good, before you changed converters, it makes one wonder if perhaps the converter might have had either some trash in it, that has now found it's way to your trans filter, or is it dumping metal into the trans.

#6 ·
I think the truck has about 166 000 miles, and i have no idea whether ornot the torque converter was good. I did drain the fluid out of it and it looked fine except for some water that cameut as well but i figured id run her anyways. The trans fluid is good and filter is new. I have access to a flush machine woul this be worth while doing or should i start looking for a new tranny? Thanks, Jake

#7 ·
jake_arcticcat said:
I think the truck has about 166 000 miles, and i have no idea whether ornot the torque converter was good. I did drain the fluid out of it and it looked fine except for some water that cameut as well but i figured id run her anyways. The trans fluid is good and filter is new. I have access to a flush machine woul this be worth while doing or should i start looking for a new tranny? Thanks, Jake
if your old torqu was worn at the seal aria possibly the front pump is worn, is the wear on old torq frome just the sea or is it worn aprox 1 in in length if so front pump coul be worn. cliff

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.