C6 trans setup linkage and stuff? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 11:12 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

The OP is in NZ, see post #6...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 02:10 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff tate View Post
the center shaft is the kikdown(corect name is throtle presure)simple to get a lever frome wrecker or trans shop.if you do not use the kik down you wil have a poor shifting trans with a short life with any power in front.re the drive shaft dont skimp do it corectly,some of your help hear ar verry knowledgeable,others are useing hearsay .if you go to a trans shop they will help you get the strt goods
theres no trans shop within 300km and no wrecker here has heard of these gearboxes neither do any online sites, unless they can come off another trans? then its going to be hard to find it but i will keep looking
Old 11-13-2012, 02:14 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil-vulky View Post
theres no trans shop within 300km and no wrecker here has heard of these gearboxes neither do any online sites, unless they can come off another trans? then its going to be hard to find it but i will keep looking
The kickdown lever is a relatively simple part. It could be made from a good, clear photo if someone could give you one (or you found one online). It would help to have something to gauge the size by, ideally w/a ruler in the picture for reference.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:03 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
The kickdown lever is a relatively simple part. It could be made from a good, clear photo if someone could give you one (or you found one online). It would help to have something to gauge the size by, ideally w/a ruler in the picture for reference.
im just not sure about the connecting part that connects onto the gearbox linkage bit itself, if i knew how it bolted on etc i could probably get my mate to make one but so far all i know is how the top end hooks up
Old 11-13-2012, 05:19 PM

Last photo:

have just noticed a bolt missing just above the modulator, in the black circle that is where the modulator thingy goes and in the red circle is a threaded hole not sure what its for? it doesnt leak trans fluid or anything and has clean thread

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

sorry about the angle of the picture, if you tilt your head to the right its the right way

Last edited by lil-vulky; 11-13-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:26 PM

Last photo:

so when i took my modulator out it was bent like it got hit on something so went to town to every mechanics or auto parts shop there was asking if they sold them, no1s ever heard of them, even there computer has nothing for c6 trans or ford 429/460 v8s grr why can't we have lots of these engines and stuff in the country. will have to try find one online from a big city or something, well thats my plans for the day gone... going to try look into making up a kickdown lever
Old 11-13-2012, 06:49 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
have just noticed a bolt missing just above the modulator, in the black circle that is where the modulator thingy goes and in the red circle is a threaded hole not sure what its for? it doesnt leak trans fluid or anything and has clean thread

sorry about the angle of the picture, if you tilt your head to the right its the right way

red circle is return line from cooler for trans oil,

Modulator with dual vacuum lines: one line(center) is main manifold vacuum... outer vacuum line would be hooked to ported vacuum source.

The two lines work together for controlling shifts. Ported vacuum would help the trans to down shift sooner in a situation like turns the vehicle did not stop fully at.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:59 PM

Last photo:

ohhh i see, sooo ummm about this return line for the cooler, do i need it? if so where do i get and put a trans cooler . . . ahh can i just put a bolt in the hole and forget about a trans cooler? will try get a 1 hose modulator but if i can only get a 2 one, where abouts is a ported vacum? i know where to stick the main manifold vacum hose but not sure where a ported one is ?

also the trans is hooked upto the engine and iv had the engine going abit because had to get that all sorted . . . is the trans stuffed seen i had the engine running with all this stuff missing not attached etc. just woundering might be easier looking for a whole new trans not that i have money lol if there is still a chance my trans is fine ill try get all the bits sorted will be a hell of alot cheaper its like $1500+ NZD for a 2nd hand trans in good knows what condition.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:07 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:

Above the modulator is a cooler line. The modulator is held in by a spring metal clamp- that's what is under the bolt that holds the modulator in.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:30 PM

Last photo:

probably such a stupid question but what is the bolt with pipe coming out of it called? the bolt that goes in the trans cooler hole. im trying to look for 2 bolts with the trans fluid line coming out so i can sort out that but i have no idea what its called to find out where i can get them

sort of thought a way about the kick down lever too, but this is what i was thinking, getting a bit of metal making it a circle with a groove on the outside for a cable to wrap around then hooking the cable upto the carby so when i put my foot down it will pull the cable which pulls the circle which will turn the kickdown thingy, sort of how throttle bodies work on efi cars. good or bad idea, easy or hard?

Last edited by lil-vulky; 11-13-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:28 PM

Last photo:

sorry for everyone who must be annoyed by my millions of questions by now .

But i have another. Lets say my trans might be stuffed but not sure because linkage not hooked up and driveshaft not put in yet, but i dont want to go out and buy/get all these parts i need for mine if i need a whole new trans, so when i get my driveshaft put in and linkage hooked up, will i be able to just put 2 normal bolts in the transmission cooler holes to stop fluid from leaking out and drive it? by drive it i mean check that it moves forward reverse and all the gears making sure my trans isnt stuffed. Just want to do the minimal amount needed for it to be test driven to make sure its not stuffed, because if i buy a new trans it would come with them parts anyways so would save me money buying the parts now to find i need a whole gearbox.

I wil be buying a new 1 port modulator regardless because even if i get a new trans id want a new 1 port one on it.

sorry if i dont make sence
Old 11-13-2012, 09:22 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Quote:
probably such a stupid question but what is the bolt with pipe coming out of it called? the bolt that goes in the trans cooler hole. im trying to look for 2 bolts with the trans fluid line coming out so i can sort out that but i have no idea what its called to find out where i can get them

sort of thought a way about the kick down lever too, but this is what i was thinking, getting a bit of metal making it a circle with a groove on the outside for a cable to wrap around then hooking the cable upto the carby so when i put my foot down it will pull the cable which pulls the circle which will turn the kickdown thingy, sort of how throttle bodies work on efi cars. good or bad idea, easy or hard?

I believe that "bolt with a pipe coming out of it" is a transmission cooler line.

NAPA # BKP 8131235 are 5/16" x 60" long. I actually prefer the armored version, but I'm having trouble finding them in the on-line catalog. These are also known as steel hydraulic brake lines.

You will also need 2 brass inverted flare fittings that screw into those holes on the side of the transmission case. I'm pretty sure that the size you will need will be 1/4" male (perhaps 1/8"?) pipe thread by 5/16" female inverted tube thread.

Weatherhead #202x5x4

As far as the kickdown rod goes, I suppose you could manufacture your own using some very light tubing ... something like 1/2" OD electrical conduit. pound it flat at the ends and drill a 5/16" dia hole. (That's pretty much what Ford used to do.) It's designed to push downward on the kickdown lever, not pull it up.

I can certainly sympathize with you in regards to finding parts for North-American built Fords in NZ. There probably isn't a NAPA store in every small town like there is here.

Do you have Pantera's there?
They had a Ford drive train (351C and a C6, IIRC) Still not likely to find dozens of those in the auto wreckers either.

If you CAN locate a NAPA store, even in Australia, I can supply you with most of the part numbers for things you will need.

Exego?
Old 11-13-2012, 09:26 PM

Last photo:

never heard of a pantera, Will take the list of things i need with me tomorrow and go see a guy that should be able to get me some parts fingers crossed
Old 11-13-2012, 09:34 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Wow guys ... I am slowly getting a feel for exactly how tough it might be to get these "common items" on the opposite side of the globe!

FORD Wreckers | Car Wreckers | FORD Spare Parts in NSW, VIC, QLD, SA, WA, TAS, NT and ACT

Some of the model names are familiar, but that's about where it ends!

1999 Ford Fairmont, for example!
Old 11-13-2012, 09:36 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
ohhh i see, sooo ummm about this return line for the cooler, do i need it? if so where do i get and put a trans cooler . . . ahh can i just put a bolt in the hole and forget about a trans cooler? will try get a 1 hose modulator but if i can only get a 2 one, where abouts is a ported vacum? i know where to stick the main manifold vacum hose but not sure where a ported one is ?

also the trans is hooked upto the engine and iv had the engine going abit because had to get that all sorted . . . is the trans stuffed seen i had the engine running with all this stuff missing not attached etc. just woundering might be easier looking for a whole new trans not that i have money lol if there is still a chance my trans is fine ill try get all the bits sorted will be a hell of alot cheaper its like $1500+ NZD for a 2nd hand trans in good knows what condition.
Trans oil cooler is required. Return of oil from cooler into the open port in red circle... that return oil lubricates the transmission gears, bushings , thrust washers.... It would be same as running engine with no oil.

If you ran the engine with the trans attached and NO OIL in transmission .. you possibly burned up the transmission pump. Same as running an engine with NO OIL.

best of luck to you

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.