CA smog questions...engine swaps - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2012, 02:05 PM

Last journal entry: '27 roadster quarter panels from scratch
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

You won't get caught. There's no reason to get caught unless you tell the smog tech you replaced the original engine with an older engine. Don't do that! If the induction and exhaust systems are the same as original, there're no power adders and the car's original smog system is present and functional, you're good to go.

If you do have aftermarket stuff, make sure you have the proper EO numbers because you WILL be sent to a BAR ref and everything I said in my previous post will be checked.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 10:35 AM

Smog equipment

Hi, all--

I found this thread and I had a question for those far more experienced than I. I'm a CA resident, and I'm looking at a used car that's had ALL of the relevant emissions equipment removed (it's an '84 Camaro V8)--cat, EGR, vapor canister--everything was removed when the carb was changed. Apparently the owner had a smog guy in his back pocket, but now needs to sell the car.

Presuming that all of the parts are actually available, how hard is it going to be to purchase all of the relevant items, and then re-install them? I'm a plugs-and-oil guy, not much beyond that point, and I don't want to get involved in a project that will cost me more than the price of the car.

Thanks for the information-any advice will help!
Old 02-21-2012, 11:03 AM

Last photo:

If it were me, I'd move on! '84 Camaros are a dime a dozen. It's possible to scour the junkyards and collect everything you'd need but you'd have to have a working knowledge of the smog and fuel systems of those cars, not to mention a very detailed knowledge of auto mechanics in general. No offense, but as a self described 'plugs and oil guy', I'd look elsewhere.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:12 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtglick
Hi, all--

I found this thread and I had a question for those far more experienced than I. I'm a CA resident, and I'm looking at a used car that's had ALL of the relevant emissions equipment removed (it's an '84 Camaro V8)--cat, EGR, vapor canister--everything was removed when the carb was changed. Apparently the owner had a smog guy in his back pocket, but now needs to sell the car.

Presuming that all of the parts are actually available, how hard is it going to be to purchase all of the relevant items, and then re-install them? I'm a plugs-and-oil guy, not much beyond that point, and I don't want to get involved in a project that will cost me more than the price of the car.

Thanks for the information-any advice will help!
It'll likely cost more to put back the missing equipment than the car is worth. This is a big job which in the end not only has to replace the equipment, but make it all work together as well. this will include finding the factory computer managed carb and the computer not to mention the wire harness that makes it all work.

I always wonder at the lack of knowledge that people display when they remove this stuff. To a huge extent the add on emissions equipment has little impact on the power output of these early emissions engines. The real culprit of power loss is found in cam timing, compression as a result of chamber size and shape and piston crown shape, and ignition timing. These are what cripples these engines. The addons are there to insure the minimized emissions from the engine design remain within specification for a mandated period without owner intervention at doing things like regular tune ups and oil changes.

If you're willing to keep up on tune-ups and maintenance such that the engine doesn't physically degrade for a long time; you can do many things to improve performance with in the guts of the engine, many not acceptable to CARB or BAR if they knew, and still easily pass emissions leaving all the external smog junk in place and doing their thing.

Bogie
Old 02-21-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evintho
If it were me, I'd move on! '84 Camaros are a dime a dozen. It's possible to scour the junkyards and collect everything you'd need but you'd have to have a working knowledge of the smog and fuel systems of those cars, not to mention a very detailed knowledge of auto mechanics in general. No offense, but as a self described 'plugs and oil guy', I'd look elsewhere.
Yeah, that makes sense, the only reason it's still on the table is price and type. It's a 5-speed HO, which is exactly what I'm looking for right now. There are a few other issues on the car, and I already told the owner that I couldn't take it on, but I wanted to know what would be involved in case he made a counter. I've always done better buying broken things and fixing them, so if the project can be completed over time, I'm open to it. I just don't know how much of a headache this is.

In terms of mechanical complexity, I've changed alternators on a few of my cars, done belt replacements, changed valve covers, that kind of thing. Swapping a crankshaft would be beyond me (at least without some help), but I understand the basics and can follow a manual with the best of 'em. So I'm not completely lost, and I like doing the work, but I've gotten in over my head a few times and I'm not looking to repeat the experience.

Ultimately, I guess I'm asking if I had to do the work to replace every piece of smog equipment that should have been there, about what would I be looking at in terms of time and parts? Is there a list somewhere that I could use to generate a worst-case scenario? I already know that the exhaust headers need to be swapped out (within my skill level), the tailpipe needs to be cut for a cat (will pay somebody else to do that), and the replacement Edelbrock needs to be tuned (also something I can do). Is the under-hood stuff a four-to-six hour job for a reasonable mechanic (which I would multiply by 3, that seems to be about the speed I go at), or a nightmare of a teardown?

Again, thanks for the time, and the advice is very much appreciated.

Matt
Old 02-21-2012, 01:03 PM

esetially all you need to do is find a camaro that already has all the smog stuff and sit it right next to yours if you hav a buddy that has one or make a new friend that has one then go down to the salvage yard of your choice and buy all the parts you need its not to complicated its parts on the outside of the engine and vacuum hoses its on a scale of 1-10 id put it at 6 cause you have to know what you need and sometimes the parts are hard to find
Old 11-27-2012, 06:15 PM

so I have a 1983 buick regal the came with a v6 231 engine. i want to put a silverado 4.8 or 5.4 chevy silverado engine in it. is that legal? chevy makes buick right??
Old 11-27-2012, 10:52 PM

Last photo:

Unless the Regal came with a small block V8 (and I don't think they did), you'll be going to a BAR ref and they won't pass you.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:30 AM

They came with either the Chevy 305 5.0 or the Pontiac 307 5.0
Old 11-28-2012, 09:07 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by evintho View Post
Unless the Regal came with a small block V8 (and I don't think they did), you'll be going to a BAR ref and they won't pass you.
That is not correct. In Calif, it IS legal to install a newer, cleaner engine so long as you install ALL the original emissions equipment. You can even purchase a complete, smog legal LS motor from GM specifically to swap it into older cars.

By the way, the 307 was an Oldsmobile motor, not a Pontiac. The Pontiac was a 301.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:11 PM

Last photo:

The Cal ARB and the BAR are acronyms for the Third Reich reincarnated. No appeals, no break and pay up or take it out of the state. Cruel but in typical state government fashion it is theor way of saying we really aren't intersted in clean air. We just want your money. Now when I do some swaps I register them to an address I have in another state where the registration fees are a small number compared to the $300. or so bucks this state wants.
Normbc9

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.