CA smog questions...engine swaps - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2006, 02:47 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

CA smog questions...engine swaps

I know a few things about smog laws, but not enough to go charging into a very expensive engine swap without first knowing that it will be smog-feasible. So, for those of you who know the answers to these problems, or a website reference where I can find them, I would appreciate it. I've searched the CA DMV website a ton of times, but that legal mumbo jumbo makes me want to vomit my brains through my nostrils. Pretty image, huh? Just so you know, the recipient vehicle is a 1996 model year if that makes a difference.

I know this much so far and correct me if I'm wrong:

-engine swaps where the engine was originally offered in that car are considered direct replacements provided they are from the same year or newer and all emissions equipment is proper for the other engine. For instance, putting a V8 in a mustang originally equipped with a V6 is legal and no referree certification is required. Is that correct?

-engine swaps where the new engine was NOT offered in that car are legal, provided they are the same or later year, all emissions equipment is brought over from the donor vehicle, the new engine is from the same emissions class (i.e. passenger car, truck, etc) and the vehicle passes inspection at a referree station. For instance, putting a V8 in an S10. Is that correct?

What I don't know:

-does the new engine have to be in the same vehicle make? GM for GM, Ford for Ford, or can it be mix n' match?

-what about putting an engine that was originally designated a gas guzzler into a non-guzzler car? Like a Jag V12 into a Mustang. They both were under the same emissions standards, so my thought is that its fine.

-Once a legal swap is completed, can I then use performance parts with CARB EO numbers that correspond to the new engine, or am I stuck with a stock configuration because of the recipient car's VIN? I guess what I'm asking is; do the CARB EO numbers on aftermarket parts apply to the engine, or the VIN of the car?

-If I perform a legal engine swap that requires a referree station inspection (like for instance a V8 into an S10), are its chances of passing based more on a black and white checklist, or are they based on the mood of the inspector and his/her opinion of the swap? I would hate to spend a ton of money making it conform to a legal swap only to have a referree not "like" it and question its legality because he "thought" it might be illegal.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2006, 03:01 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Great questions and you can swap engines of different makes (Chevy V8 into a Jag, etc...).

The best place to start your search would be here www.jagsthatrun.com there is a list of things and I think I saw answers to all your questions over there. It's been a while since I visited that site.

I hope that helps.

Royce
Old 01-12-2006, 05:01 PM

Last photo:

Great.. thanks
Old 01-12-2006, 05:47 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

This may help too..

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/StdPage....fo/default.htm

It's the B.A.R for California, Where all the smog laws are kept..

There is also a handy~Dandy smog history page on there, great if your buying a used car..just enter the Vin or Plate number and it will list it's past history..Pass/Fail..GP..so you KNOW what your getting into before you Buy...

Doc
Old 01-12-2006, 06:59 PM

Last journal entry: 930 4 speed transmission
Last photo:

I will say one thing about this, a car engine can be converted into a car and a truck into a truck. For some reason you can't go truck to car or car to truck. So thats my 2 cents....
Old 01-12-2006, 07:33 PM

Last photo:

I have done some very significant research into this and have spoken directly to a Referee at BAR. Here is the lowdown:

Any engine swap (unless it is the identical engine as was supplied by the factory) will require a referee visit. So, putting a 5.0L ford V8 from another Mustang into a V6 Mustang will still require a visit to the BAR referee.

The engine must be from the same year or newer and have ALL the emissions equipment which was originally supplied with the donor engine from the factory.
If the donor engine is computer controlled (OBDI or OBDII), the diagnostic port and SES light must be installed and operate properly. This means that if the donor vehicle had fuel tank with pressure sensor and vapor solenoid etc, etc, then the fuel tank from the donor needs to be installed also. The PCM cannot be reprogrammed to delete DTC, and the PCM cannot be throwing DTC (SES light illuminated).
The engine must be from the same family of vehicles, ie cars to cars, trucks to trucks etc. The family cut off for car's family is 1 ton trucks. Thus, a 3/4 ton truck engine can be installed into a yugo etc. You cannot install a Yugo engine into a Ford F350 truck.....
hope that helps....CA smog testing requirements end at 1974 and older, so if you have a 1975 car, you need to smog test it. There is no longer a rolling 30 year exemption....it is frozen at 1974. All the above engine change information technically applies to vehicles from 1900 to 1974 also.......however....not having to smog test them biennially, well......

Tim
Old 06-20-2008, 09:40 PM

Tim, you said that the emissions control system from the donor car must be installed. What if the donor engine does not have an emissions control system. what i mean is, what if the engine is a JDM motor and never came with emissions control equipment. How could I get it to pass the referee inspection. would i be able to get away with not having the equipment? will it be acceptable to install the emissions control equipment from my original engine.
Old 06-21-2008, 02:47 AM

Last photo:

Way to ressurect a thread from 2006 Just kidding... sort of.

It doesn't matter where it came from, it must conform to US emissions. If you buy a JDM-only engine, good luck getting it certified. If its a JDM version of an engine that was offered here, then you should be able to sneak it past them... as long as you put US emissions equipment on it for the year in question.

An example in non-JDM terms... The GM LS1 engine was used in both US vehicles and Australian Holden vehicles. Its the same engine, but the Australian emissions laws are a little less intense. So if I wanted to put an Australian LS1 in an American car, I could do it if I used US emissions equipment. The engine is identical, so you can't look at it during a smog test and say, "that's australian," so it would pass. BUT, if I wanted to put a Peugeot V6 in my car, there are no provisions for it to pass at all since it was never installed in an American car. Not only could you not install US-compliant emissions pieces (because they don't exist) but there is no "peugeot V6" option from their drop-down menu in Windows.

If you found a sympathetic Referree, the might let you adapt some US emissions pieces to the JDM engine and then if it passes the sniffer it will slide by, but sometimes that involves slipping them a bottle of Patron (or in some cases, a whole case of it.)
Old 06-27-2008, 11:37 PM

I am planning on installing a 1991 mitsubishi eclipse 4g63 2.0 turbo engine into my 1987 4g63 2.0 mitsubishi pickup truck. I will be installing all emissions equip. from donor vehicle. Will this swap be legal?
Old 06-28-2008, 11:56 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropped_Mitsu
I am planning on installing a 1991 mitsubishi eclipse 4g63 2.0 turbo engine into my 1987 4g63 2.0 mitsubishi pickup truck. I will be installing all emissions equip. from donor vehicle. Will this swap be legal?
Yes. Keep mind that you have to pass two parts; the inspection and certification.

Inspection with the referee determines if the technically required parts are there and the installation will function as originally intended. This allows configurational differences as long as what needs to be there is there somewhere and functions.

Passing the referee, then you have to go to a testing station show them the referee's paperwork, then pass the certification test.

Bogie
Old 07-28-2008, 03:35 AM

Back in the late 80's I put a 327 sbc into a 1973 chevy luv. It was legal because the 327 v8 was offered factory in the truck models. I had to take the truck to B.A.R. and they gave me a new vin code showing that the truck was a v8. I also swapped a 305 crossfire injection motor out of an 82 camero into an 80 elcamino. you can call B.A.R. and speak to an inspector and tell him what you are thinking about doing and they will tell you what you will be required to do. Last I was told about 2 years ago was that in order to swap the motor it had to be same year or newer and offered in model. Also, even though you may have a exempt vehicle from smog i.e 1974 and older you still have to install ALL smog equipment. (smog pump, air injector tubes etc.) Once again the Smog Referee can tell you what has to be installed.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:08 PM

Just wanted to update this and say the swap I asked about above about putting an engine from a car into a truck is LEGAL.
I called and talked to BAR and a inspector and he said you can swap an engine from a car to a truck or truck to car as long as:
1. it is not a HD truck engine into anything other then a HD truck
2. has to be same year or newer engine
3. must retain all smog equipment.

Thought I'd try to clear up some of the misconceptions on CA's engine swap laws.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:09 AM

heres my dilema

ok so what if i have a 92 sentra SE-r with SR20DE and i throw a rod and want to put a SR20de from a 90 or 91 same engine family same generation of car but still an older engine???
Old 02-19-2012, 01:45 AM

Last journal entry: '27 roadster quarter panels from scratch
Last photo:

Technically, it would fail. However, don't lose any sleep over it. No need to tell anyone it's an older motor. If it's the same displacement and basically the same short block, no one but you will ever know. Even if you had to go to a BAR referee, they don't look for the year of the block. They're more concerned with making sure any aftermarket parts have the correct Executive Order number stamped on them and that all smog equipment on the car is present and functional.

I converted my '89 Mustang to a turbocharged 2.3 liter 4 cyl. The motor was out of an '87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe. '88 was the last year of the Turbo Coupe and turbo 4's weren't offered in '89 on any fords at all. However, they were offered on the '89 Merkur XR4ti. Merkur was the european subsidiary of Lincoln/Mercury which was a subsidiary of Ford Motor Co. I just squeaked by! I had 2 BAR refs crawling all over my car! They crawled underneath with a mirror to make sure I had the proper part # on my cat. One of them made a comment saying "it's so clean there must be something illegal about it"! They checked everything from my 'check engine' light to a small delay valve in a vacuum line. All smog equipment was present and functional so I passed with flying colors! I was issued the coveted exemption sticker so now, I only have to pass the sniffer/dyno test every 2 years.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:50 AM

nice swap
so basically what you are saying is do and if i get caught for some odd reason i just have to get it bar'ed and im good to go?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.