cab and bed mounts 62 chevy truck - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2008, 11:35 AM
this hobby is expensive!

Wiki Edits: 0

cab and bed mounts 62 chevy truck

i have a 62 chevy truck long bed. torsion bar suspension. im swapping out the frame for one a couple years newer and it is bassically the same with coil springs and the cab and bed mounts are in different spots. anyway i was wondering if anyone knows of a source like a website or a book that shows the original dimensions of the mounts on the frame? this would save me a lot of work...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2008, 01:02 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

You are in for some real work no matter what.

The frames are totally different and the width is different.

The factory assembly manual might give the measurements but that manual is hard to find stuff in.

Your front cab mount support needs mods; you need to drill out the spot welds on the large round washer under the floor mat, and then relocate it more inboard. Where?, look at the cab mount support and you should see a second shelf closer inwards for the rubber mount to sit on. Then also put a short piece of pipe in the new location to keep the support from crushing as you tighten the bolt.

Rear cab mount sill in the cab won't have a capture-nut or hole for the new location, more inboard. Not only do you need the nut, but also there needs to be a short piece of pipe welded into that rear sill, so the sill does not crush as you tighten the bolt.

The rear bed cross sills need to have the reinforcement plates moved...two plates per sill.. drill and relocate, and reweld.

Even the bed wood widths are different between those two frames. The joints won't end up in the right places.

Then the rear bed end crossmember has 2 brackets spotwelded to it that will need to be drilled and moved. Those brackets bolt to the very ends of the framerails.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:05 PM
this hobby is expensive!

the fram is the same width i did all kinds of measuring. off the same era c-10 but the changed the torsion bars to coil springs and the cab mounts are back on the frame farther, like a few inches. i think im just going to set the cab, dog house, and bed on the newer frame and square it all up and mock up the mounts. this isnt my specialty by any means but i have friends that have done this and some that get paid to do this that are willing to help. i might just send it to a guy i know who assembles dragster frames and builds tube chasis to do all this....i think as a novice in this department im better off doing that instead of getting in over my head.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:09 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

Quote:
the fram is the same width i did all kinds of measuring. off the same era c-10 but the changed the torsion bars to coil springs and the cab mounts are back on the frame farther, like a few inches.
Something is wrong here

I have had quite a bit of experience with 60-66 trucks. The 60-62 frame is definately wider, especially in the rear.

The cab mounts do not mount farther back on any 60-66. The 60-62 front cab mount has it's bolt way out towards the rocker panel compared to 63-66. If you look at the metal cab support, it will have 2 different spots for the rubber mount to sit on....you can look at a pic of a repro cap support to maybe see the spots.

The 67-up frames DO have the mounts in "wrong" places on the frame...close, but wrong. Maybe you have a 67-72 frame? Those don't have the correct front frame tip shape to fit the 60-66 bumper...
Old 12-28-2008, 07:53 PM
this hobby is expensive!

i think your on to something there..it may very well be a 67ish truck frame. they are close, and by looking at it now the tip of the frame for the bumper is slightly different. heres the story on the truck frame...its a long one

i bought the 62 from a friend of our family the day he got it here (NW indiana) from california so it was absolutely spotless, not even a dent anywhere. only damage done was someone cut holes in the door for speakers. i brought the truck home and started taking it apart and getting it prepped for paint, soda blasting and all the good stuff. the cab was bolted down but not on all the mounts so i started looking at realized it was on the wrong frame. but all the body lines matched up perfect. so a shopped around and found a junk old 62 chevy and stripped it out and took the frame, my cab and dog house to another friend and we put the 454 with heads intake and carb and 400 turbo in it to line up for the motor mounts, after that was all done and looking like it was from factory that way i took it home and put headers on the motor and i promise i flipped that thing every which way and no matter what we couldnt get it to fit by the torsion bars, even with trying to put them on after the motor was in. its a tight fit anyway with the wheel wells and the inside of the frame rails being 28 inches apart then ya gotta think power brake booster power steering pump and all the other stuff thats going to go in there. so i figured what the heck i might as well use the newer frame and just have the mounts moved. so now i have a half painted truck and a mystery frame. i was assuming it was a 63-66 frame but it could be newer. im just going to have to get it all mocked up i guess and do some work. the newer frame is in better shape that the 62 frame anyway. nothing is ever easy. truck will be painted by spring so thats outta the way. im freakin out man
Old 12-28-2008, 09:01 PM
this hobby is expensive!

so your saying with a 64-66 frame my 62 cab should bolt right to it? the mounts just dont stick out as far correct?
Old 12-28-2008, 09:36 PM
this hobby is expensive!

ok now i just made myself sound completely ignorant the cab mount is in the correct spot but it is different than the original 62 mount...sorry i have one frame in the yard and one in a barn with the truck resting on it...it kinda gets confusing/frustrating walking back and forth to look at one then crawling under the other...but all in all you have helped me, dont know if you helped me realize i need to pay more attention or with the frame, but help is help

thanks
Old 07-05-2012, 11:12 PM

1962 Frame

I also have a 1962 chevy truck and I switched the frame to a 1966 frame. But now I have found out that I can use the frame all the way up to 1972 frame. Everything bolts up, the only problem is the bumpers which can be adjusted with spacers. If you have 62 bumpers and need to change from 64 to 66 bumpers. The 71 and 72 frames have disc brakes and 5 lug bolt pattern. The complete front suspension will work from 73 to 87 chevy truck on the frme of a 64 to a 72 frame. The only problem is that the power steering box needs an adapter kit on the 64 to 66 frame. Which can be ordered through any classic chevy truck magazine. If a cab mount brackets look to be a different area it is because one is a short wheel base and one is a long wheel base.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:27 PM

62 cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatanchors View Post
so your saying with a 64-66 frame my 62 cab should bolt right to it? the mounts just dont stick out as far correct?
My 1962 chevy truck cab bolted directly up to a 1966 frame, perfect fit.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.