Cab Corner Done Right - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2007, 07:27 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Cab Corner Done Right

What is the recommended procedure for installing cab corners in 57 chevy pickup? Lay new piece over old then mark and cut old one out , then weld in new one ?Do i weld it flush with cab panel? I guess what i'm asking iis for a simple tutorial on how to do it.

Thanks ....Chris

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2007, 01:03 PM

Last photo:

Hey Chris , I would say yes to your theory on it. If in fact the only rust is in the panel you are replacing. My brother replaced both corners on his Ford using that same approach . Just take your time .MEASURE TWICE , cut once and stitch weld it in until it's finished. g'luck with your project and don't forget to post pics as you do it. It may be helpful to some other fellas on here , like say , yourself. swaZZie

P.S. take your time and MEASURE TWICE.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:24 PM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

I'll tell you what works for me if there is no reinforcing panel behind the one that I am going to replace:

I will lay the piece on top of the old one making sure the replacement Panel fits properly and the overall "Curve" of the Panel is correct, then I will clamp the Panel in place and Drill a couple of holes throough both Panels and use Cleco's to hold it (you can use Sheet Metal Screws). I will mark a spot on the old Metal and take off the new Panel, and use a Cutoff Tool to make a small cut on the line I just made. Then, I Cleco the Panel back on, and use a Power Hacksaw, and start my cut through the cut I made with the Cutoff Tool-why didn't I just cut it with the Panel on? It will make a wide slice if I do, so I will make a small cut that will allow just the thin Hacksaw Blade to go through the slice.

I'll cut the Panel along the "Template" that the new Panel will give me, being really carefull to stay along the new Panel, and cut about 10+" long, and push the old Panel inside while aligning the new Panel into place and tack Weld it on-just continue all the way around the Panel being careful that the new Panel is absolutely fluch to the old one,and you'll be fine.

The problem with this method is that you must be able to either take the old pPanel out in one section or pre-cut the old Panel to take it out in pieces if you don't have the room, and if you have inside reinforcements all bets are off-hope this helps-

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.