Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   Cab mounts (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/cab-mounts-32873.html)

Gearhead forever 01-26-2004 10:42 AM

Cab mounts

I bought some new cab mounts for my '87 Chevy p/u.
They are an aftermarket item and are different from the originals. (The original had a mushroom shaped steel shoe)They only consist of the upper and lower rubber bushings, the upper with a steel insert and plate cast into the rubber. The bottom bushing is only a ring of rubber which obviously requires a retaining washer. I'm wondering if I can reuse the original washer, and how much the lower rubber is supposed to collapse? Is it designed to fold over on itself? (This frame off project has gone on so long that I can't recall how the thing looked when I tore it apart.) Any help would be appreciated as I may get stuck in town tonight due to bad weather, leaving me a window of opportuniny. (for assembly that is)

M&M CUSTOM 01-26-2004 03:41 PM

What brand mounts did you buy, are they stock replacement rubber or polyurethane?
Which mount are you referring to specifically, the radiator support mounts, the front cab mounts or the rear cab mounts, as they are all diferent in shape and size.
you also have a difference between the 2 and 4 wheel drive versions of all of these mounts, if the rest wasn't confusing enough.

I have the information you need for all of this stuff.

I'll see if I can scan a couple pics for reference later.

bullheimer 01-26-2004 05:06 PM

i'm pretty sure you are supposed to reuse the washers and some other hardware but buy new washers at least. just follow the directions that came with them and you will be okay regardless of what they looked like stock.

Gearhead forever 01-26-2004 07:16 PM

Oh good...the instructions that came with them?? Not, Nada, Nil, Zilch....
I bought them from a local supply house. They order them from Canadas largest autobody panel supply companies, Cross Canada. (Yeah...there is my 1st mistake..) The catalogue carried only one size of mount for front, rear or rad location for this year. The only size difference specified was with the 2wd vs. 4wd models. Should I have gone with the polyeurethane rather than the regular rubber style? Any advice would be extremely appreciated, as I'm hoping to drag this thing home this week if possible...if this weather lets up.

M&M CUSTOM 01-27-2004 01:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
In 1981 when GM redesigned the Chevy/Gmc trucks one of the few changes was to the body mounts to make them more flexible.
In changing them GM also went from a seperate 2 and 4 wheel drive body mount style to a simpler mount that was used on both C and K series trucks (and R & V series 88-91 trucks after the complete redesign for the 88 body style)
I scanned one of my catalog pages and added a couple things for reference.

Gearhead forever 01-27-2004 09:02 PM

Excellent..Thanks M&M. the mounts look right. Do you know if the "shaped metal retainers/washers" are those really heavily cupped stamped pieces (mushroom shaped) or just a large dished washer? thanks again.

Gear.

M&M CUSTOM 01-27-2004 10:05 PM

The cupped metal reinforcements are .125 inch (1/8th-inch) stamped pieces. They are included in the set, the square washers are just washers the factory used to spread the support of the mount over a greater area, and they are 1/8th inch too.

Gearhead forever 01-28-2004 10:38 AM

Many thanks!